Light-O-Rama Forums

Experiences chopping up a CCR

edvas69

Last night I started making my 12 x 16 matrix using 4 CCRs, this involved cutting each CCR into 4 sections which left me two pixels free for each CCR as spares. I found that it doesnt mater which order the pixels are in, it just counts to the next pixel, so if a pixel was to fail then i can replace it with a spare pixel that I have.

Cutting the strip was simple using a pair of sharp scissors at the defined cutting line. Then it was easy to pull back the silicon sheath to expose the copper tabs, i then preped each tab (4 tabs) and the wires i was going to use with a touch of solder and then made the connection, relatively easy. I then silicon sealed the ends and presto. tested the strip with 48 pixels with 2 sections swapped and no problems.

Some caution with handling of the strip must be exercised when pulling the strip out to expose the tabs to solder to. There are components close to the tabs and if you pull the strip you must be careful to ensure you do not bend the strip at the end as this may damage a connection to one of the components. Also make sure you dont leave the CCR where someone can sit on it. My son walked in where i was working and decided he wanted to help but instead sat on a CCR, a section then would have issues as he had bent the strip, I carefully straitened it out and mounted it correctly and it seems to work fine now but flashes if moved, It is fine for what im using it for, if not then ill replace that pixel with a spare one i have.

So all in all the CCR are very nice and easy to work with but you need to be gentle, OK it will void the warranty on the strip once you cut it, but then if a section of strip failed then I have the spares to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at getting another 2 CCR's to build up my matrix, do you have photos or video of your test?

How are you programming your matrix?

Neil

what does the 12 * 16 matrix look like using the CCR strips. How have you spaced the strips? what size matrix panel will this create? I am thinking this will produce a 63" panel with 5.5" centres between strips.

I was think about experimenting with my 2 CCR's and creating a 10 * 10 matrix which I think could be something like a 38" panel with 4" centers between strips, but not taken that step yet as I cannot visualise what the results will be.

Also waiting on the new Lightshowpro release this month which will allow some cool transitions and blends over the matrix from an avi video file.

http://www.lightshowpro.com/entry.php?11-The-Next-Level-in-Sequencing!

Neil

So Cal

The matrix is 1220mm x 1800mm this is the size of the corex sheet that the CCRs are siliconed to, the strips are spaced approx 110 mm apart and the orientation of the strip to the corex is very important for correct light diffusion. The corex should have the internal ribs running long ways (across the sheet) so the stip is set up so it starts at the top and goes down 12 pixels (1200mm) then joined and spaced 110mm apart the second CCR section then runs upwards and so on in a zig zag fashion until you have as many columns as required for me it was 16 columns which makes 4 CCRs at 12 pixels per column for a total of 192 usable pixels with 8 pixels that can be kept a spares.

Each pixel of the CCR is 100mm long so i made the matrix with approx 110mm gap between each CCR section (you can make this 100mm if you wish) this allows a matrix pixel to be created that is approx 100mm by 110mm when the second sheet of corex is put on top of the CCRs. This then allows the light to diffuse into a matrix due to the 120 degree light angle but stops it diffusing into the next pixel due to the rib orientation.

At the moment i havent been able to test it with animations so i cant show you anything yet. Im using LightShow Pro for sequencing but there has been an issue identified with LSP and CCRs that will be addressed over the next fortnight. Once that has been rectified i will be able to put a quick video up of basic construction and appearance.

The beauty about this matrix is that you can easily build it in a night, its light weight, strong, weather resistant, bright and has many pixels. You can do scrolling text, animations and great transitional effects

Thanks for this detailed information, I can see that this is going to be a fun project and certaintly will drive CCR sales for LOR and everyone will want Lightshow pro to drive them easily.

Now the question is wether I can wait for the next LOR sale or just buy more CCR's today.

neilric99 wrote:

Thanks for this detailed information, I can see that this is going to be a fun project and certaintly will drive CCR sales for LOR and everyone will want Lightshow pro to drive them easily.

Now the question is wether I can wait for the next LOR sale or just buy more CCR's today.

I have been informed that the issues that i was experiencing with the CCRs in LSP have been rectified. I hope to have ver 1.7 beta copy soon so I can test functionality and from that i will post up some videos of the matrix in action.

• The topic was locked