Light-O-Rama Forums

Legal FM Transmitter Frequency

wallleyes

Max-Paul wrote:

Hi Orville,

Glad to hear that the 10db (note little "d") unit worked for you. So, if I remember correctly you say that the MBB 4000 is a 500mW (note the little "m") transmitter and the 10db attenuator knocks that down to 50mw to ever connect to it's output connector.

Again thanks for the feedback. Heaven knows I might end up putting one on my transmitter. Being down in Fla. I dont know the lay of your land and how many things like trees around you. Here we have a lot of cedars and I am sure that helps with knocking down the signal. Plus my transmitter is down low near the floor.

Yep, Max-Paul, the info I got from the paperwork and their website both state the Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000 is 500mW. And the Attenuator matched up perfectly between the Antenna BNC and the Transmitter BNC, just screwed it on to the transmitter, screwed on the antenna BNC connector and took the test drive. Definitely very happy with the results of the addition! Thank you very much for clearing up and getting me pointed in the right direction to do what needed to be done here! I'd rather spend $30 instead of $10,000, now if I hadn't added this little gem to my transmitter and there's a good chance the FCC may have come knocking on my door! Now I don't feel so apt to see them!:D

My MBBE-4000 is also on the floor, as is the antenna stuck to an old metal lamp base fixture to hold it upright and WITHOUT the attenuator installed, range 5+ miles, in-line 10dB attenuator, that range is long gone. I only have one large oak tree out front blocking any of my signal, a tangerine tree on the East side of the house, no trees in the side (West) yard, grapefruit, 2 orange and a few Crepe Myrtles out back along with a large hedge. Only other blockers would be some flowers and rose bushes scattered all about. And we're basically FLAT LANDERS here, although heading Westward you'll start running into some rolling hills, but pretty much flat where I am.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Max-Paul

• Steven

• rwertz

• wallleyes

Orville

I would gladly buy that extra one you have.If you would ship it to me i would pay through paypal or send you a check or cash through snail mail.Let me know.

Dan

Thanks Steven,

Interesting read. Although through out the industry I see "db" far more often then the "dB" that you and the link state is proper. And frankly I have seen the "dBm" and the "dbm", although the first more often. As you noted, it is named after someone. But also note it is not that persons actual proper name. So, lets not confuse bel with Bell, ok.

So, what to say Steven. You have shown me an online reference and I can show you many more that use the lower case db. So, I'll call it a draw unless someone uses the upper case for the "d" or "m" then I will call foul.

rwertz wrote:

And don't forget Deci Bell's dog Milli. Without good old dBm this discussion really has no reference :D

But we really dont need a reference in this discussion. Its all relative anyway! Dear Watson. :D

BTW if you do a google on dbm and go to wikipedia then down to the table. It is interesting to see what different dbm = what power in Watts. Then on the right side of the table there is some info. It says that 100mW = unlicenced transmitters max power.

Guest guest

Max-Paul wrote:

Thanks Steven,

Interesting read. Although through out the industry I see "db" far more often then the "dB" that you and the link state is proper. And frankly I have seen the "dBm" and the "dbm", although the first more often. As you noted, it is named after someone. But also note it is not that persons actual proper name. So, lets not confuse bel with Bell, ok.

So, what to say Steven. You have shown me an online reference and I can show you many more that use the lower case db. So, I'll call it a draw unless someone uses the upper case for the "d" or "m" then I will call foul.

Just my thought on these "abbreviations", why the heck is the abbreviation for the word "decibel", dB? When if by rights, and the English language, the first letter of a word is the one that SHOULD be capitalized, i.e. Db. When we abbreviate most other words, Street = St, Avenue = Av or Ave, Circle = Cir, so then why do some words get their "MIDDLE" letters capitalized instead of just being all in lowercase or having the first letter capitalized as it should be?

I'd be very curious to know if there is any "real explaination" out there for why this is.

I guess that's why I kept abbreviated Decibel as Db instead of dB, which doesn't make sense to me, db I could accept easy enough, just seems odd to capitalize a letter from the Middle or end of a word, doesn't it?

Bel is the actual unit of measurement for sound. The deci part is the prefix for one-tenth. So decibel is one-tenth of a Bel. So you do not capitalize the prefix an hence, decibel abbreviated is dB.

Guest guest

Mark J. M. wrote:

Bel is the actual unit of measurement for sound. The deci part is the prefix for one-tenth. So decibel is one-tenth of a Bel. So you do not capitalize the prefix an hence, decibel abbreviated is dB.

Thanks Mark! Now that DOES make sense. I learned something new that I didn't know. I always thought sound measurement was the full word, decibel, never knew the "Bel" part was the actual measurement of sound.

Mark J. M. wrote:

So you do not capitalize the prefix

The case of the prefix can be very important. For instance, 10 mW is 90 dB less than 10 MW.

A lower-case 'd' means deci- (1/10), but an upper-case 'D' means deka- (10).

And, according to SearchStorage.com, when a lower-case 'k' is used for 'kilo-', as in kHz, it means 1000, but when an upper case 'K' is used, as in KB, it means 1024.

And, according to SearchStorage.com, when a lower-case 'k' is used for 'kilo-', as in kHz, it means 1000, but when an upper case 'K' is used, as in KB, it means 1024.

Wow it has been a while since I went through scientific notation. Thanks for the memory. LOL! :D

Steven wrote:

Mark J. M. wrote:
So you do not capitalize the prefix

The case of the prefix can be very important. For instance, 10 mW is 90 dB less than 10 MW.

Good grief Steven,

Now it is not the first letter but the 2nd letter that makes a difference. For your examples given of hz and B are two different things because of the 2nd letter. Kilo means 1000 and Bytes are not based on 10. But on 8 so how do you come up with the stuff you do? Please know your Washington apples from your navel oranges.

I mean geez, you see a difference of 1000 and 1023 and then you see khz and KB what has really changed? The answer is "hz" and "b". Hanging your hat on "k" versis "K" is not the real thing that has changed

Ok, we know that "M" is Mega and "m" is milli. We also know that "D" is deca and "d" is deci. Yet I do not know of any difference between "K" and "k". Does anyone else know if there is a difference between a cap K and a lower case k?

Most prefixes which make a unit bigger are written in capital letters (M G T etc.), but when they make a unit smaller then lower case (m n p etc.) is used. Exceptions to this are the kilo [k] to avoid any possible confusion with kelvin [K]; hecto [h]; and deca [da] or [dk]

yotta [Y] 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000
zetta [Z] 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000
exa [E] 1 000 000 000 000 000 000
peta [P] 1 000 000 000 000 000
tera [T] 1 000 000 000 000
giga [G] 1 000 000 000
mega [M] 1 000 000
kilo [k] 1 000
hecto [h] 100
deca [da]10
deci [d] 0.1
centi [c] 0.01