Light-O-Rama Forums

I lost the Touch or I Am Getting Senile

jim6918

Other than touching up some sequences from 2009; adding 32 channels, moving things around and such, I haven't done any serious sequencing of new songs until this past week. I don't know what happened but I just can't seem to get into it. I listen to the audio over and over, and to be honest, just don't know where to start. I don't remember this happening last year, and am a little concerned. I have a 1/2 dozen barely started sequences in a file.

Has this happened to anybody else?

I have looked at other peoples videos of the same songs, but am having a hard time visualizing what I want to do. Did I just get rusty since 2009? Help reassure me my skills will come back.

I don't remember anything like this last year and I was a virgin sequencer.

It looks like you have fatigue. Upgrading from 32 to over 100 channels adds hours to a song.

What I have found that works best for me is to simply do a few minutes a day. It prolongs burnout and can keep you fresh.

And when you get stuck on a song, move to another.

Hope this helps.

Perhaps it is the song choice. If I am not that excited about a song, I find it very difficult to sequence...so if I can't get excited about it, will my audience? When I am listening to songs to sequence, if I can't "visualize it" in my head right away, I move on to another one...not that I don't come back to it later to see if I can make it work.

Sequencing is a long enough process without "writers block" getting in the way.

So set those songs off to the side and start one that you are able to visualize...because there are only 228 days left till Thanksgiving night... :)

Your not alone my friend. I haven't even begun to start my 09 sequencing. I'm adding a few things but, just can't get motivated. I think it's because I'm not getting enough sleep and there are just so many other family things to do these days... I hope I can get back in the saddle again and get these new props rolling into my show...

-Evan

Jim,

There is still plenty of time before most displays light up. Don't let a little stress now get to you. Take (a minimum) of a few nights off and come back to it.

jim6918 wrote:

Other than touching up some sequences from 2009; adding 32 channels, moving things around and such, I haven't done any serious sequencing of new songs until this past week. I don't know what happened but I just can't seem to get into it. I listen to the audio over and over, and to be honest, just don't know where to start. I don't remember this happening last year, and am a little concerned. I have a 1/2 dozen barely started sequences in a file.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Yes, You have lost it. The only cure is to send all your controllers to me and I can work on a fix for your blockage!! I will try to get them back before the lights go on I promise:D

Your not alone my friend. I haven't even begun to start my 09 sequencing. I'm adding a few things but, just can't get motivated. I think it's because I'm not getting enough sleep and there are just so many other family things to do these days... I hope I can get back in the saddle again and get these new props rolling into my show...

-Evan

I am so sorry to hear that you missed last year, I will make the same offer to you my friend..

"I lost the Touch or I Am Getting Senile"

I have 2 sequences completed that I done myself since January.........should be 4.

Someone did a sequence for me and that gives me 3.

I just started doing another sequence last night and it may take upwards to 50 hours to complete this sequence and I still have another 6 more to go after that.

I did not add any new channels this year (still 176) out of the 192 I have and so I cannot use that as an excuse why I am not up to snuff like the last two years.

I just finished putting my lights and decorations away just two weeks ago...........many cords buried under snow and ice............yard clean up etc.

We had snow a couple of days ago.........makes winter longer..........and so I just get sick of doing sequences which reminds me of cold, snow and long winters or sequencing period makes want to stop and say...............should I not enjoy our short summer 1st before I get into the groove again?

I also began doing some thinking as to why I am decorating,............ am I still decorating for the same reasons I started decorating many moons ago?

I remember reading a post where someone asks "where are all those cars you people said would come if I use controllers?"..........I had only a few all of December"

Is that a good reason to decorate?

My children were never into Christmas lights and so I really never did it for the family.

I did it because I wanted to do it, I wanted to decorate for the community in which I live, to bring a ray of hope into a heart that may be sad, or I try to help that stressed out Christmas shopper, or stressed out baking mom, or stressed out parent.

I made decorations (wood cutouts) that I knew would help bring a smile to a face.

I also decorated to brighten up an otherwise "Christmas Light less area" and hopefully encourage others in the community to "Lighten up".............and since 2000 I have seen a steady increase of decorators............our street is beginning to look like "Santa Clause Lane".

So I figure sometime in July I will start again and well be refreshed with new ideas.

I am just going to relax and enjoy life and not worry about sequencing for awhile.......that was how it was before I started doing computerized displays, and so I am heading back to basic training.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to cover everybody in one reply.

The songs I am trying to sequence are ones that I really like and want in my display. Wanted them last year, jsut ran out of time.

I am just adding to cotrollers this year; 80 channels last year and 132 for 2010. I am already done upgrading the 80 channel sequences, that was a snap.

Lots of family stress right now, that might be it. Son is going away to college in August, and although I would practically have to bribe (or beat) him into helping me put up the lights, it's better than what I will have to face with just the wife.

Lightzilla, your post really hit home. Why am I doing this? I practically have to beg the family to help me put stuff up, but they are always front and center to take credit for the great display. Not once last year, when the community went nuts over my lights, and we couldnt go out in public without somebody complimenting us, did my wife, son or daughter ever say, "Yea Dad busted his ass off, and all I did was complain when he asked me to move a ladder." I sure didn't do it for my family, I did it for the hundreds of people who drove by in awe; the little faces of the old nursing home patients on the buses, and all the kids who got a smile. Maybe I just need to take a break and come back after April 15th; another stressor.

It helps to just walk away and work on other projects. Bang out a few home improvement projects and you'll be ready to get back into it. Works for me anyway, could never sequence in the springtime when it starts to get nice out.

Count me in the same camp as everyone else who said walk away until you feel like coming back. My first year was '08 and I worked like a madman all year long with no sequencer's block. Loved it. Drove Sharon crazy.

In '09 I went from 144 to 300+ channels and went from one yard to two. It felt like I was behind schedule all year. Occasional sequencer's block. So I did other things until I felt like sequencing again. Everything got done by deadline. Yes, there was another three or four songs I never finished but no one knew it.

This year we're only adding about 80 channels. Sequencing is easier because I'm better at it, because I know what I want the yard to look like, and because I have a bigger selection of 'master' patterns to draw from. So for stress this year I added doing paid sequencing for others. Now when I get bored or stuck looking at my own yard, I work instead on a different yard entirely. So far it seems pretty effective, but then it's only April.

It's a progression Jim. You know what your mom used to say: "He's just going through one of those phases." So go with the flow. Somehow everything seems to get done just fine despite having a balky day or three every now and then.

I kind of ran into the same blockage last year. I upgraded all my old songs but didn't add any new ones. I started a couple but never could get into them. I gotta tell you by the end of the season we were all sick to death of the old music. This year I have a bunch of new music lined up and am working on it already. I am half way thru Disney's Believe. What a bear this one is with all the tempo changes.

Listening to the same songs, some of them for 5 years in the show, will drive you crazy(er)

My wife wants to hear the traditional Christmas songs each year. Rather than spending my time on them for the most part I have used other sequences and just tweaked them to fit my display.

It is a lot more fun to work on new songs that fit your personal tastes and enjoyment. I did some 4th of July songs just for a change of pace last year.

Halloween was another show that I did a few new songs just for a change of pace.

I have not even begun any new sequences for 2010. I have been reviewing some songs that I want to add to my show. What is kinda fun is trying to remember who sang some obscure song that I liked back in the day. Trying to figure it out and then acquire a copy of the song can be a whole new challenge itself. I have one song that was an 80's rock song. I like to melody and I can not really remember who sang it. Every once in a while I hear the song on the radio but I can never stop and write down any of the lyrics so I can search out the song and figure it out.

Just plug away at it. Take breaks when you need to and make sure you take care of what is important to you.

BTW - I just figured out the song I could not remember. It is Mike & The Mechanics - The living Years :) Now I just have to get a copy of the music and figure out where I am going to use it. Christmas? 4th of July? Halloween? All three?

The only song I got sick of last year from my 14 squence list was Linus and Lucy. It's almost sacreligious to say that. LOL In fact that's one of the ones I would like to shorten to take out one of the middle verses. I want to do the techno Amazing Grace, and also TSO Christmas Canon and also House on Christmas Street. All songs that I really like, but just can't going on. Taking a break as suggested.

jim6918 wrote:

The only song I got sick of last year from my 14 sequence list was Linus and Lucy.

I'm with you on this one...almost took it out of my rotation last year!! Got sick of it REALLY quick!!

I am also taking a break from sequencing...but not because I want to! LOL
Been working on my Collapsible Weber Spiral Tree...need to get that built, assembled and lights put on it so I can see just HOW to sequence it!!

So hopefully CDI will be shipping our lights out about the time I have it done...

jimswinder wrote:

working on my Collapsible Weber Spiral Tree...

Don't let them over at PC hear you say that......they did a great job of meat grinding that one. Hopefully he is still around.

BrianC wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
working on my Collapsible Weber Spiral Tree..

Don't let them over at PC hear you say that......they did a great job of meat grinding that one. Hopefully he is still around.

They had a Collapsible Weber tree...or just a Weber Tree?

Have I been designing something that was already out there?!?!?! :shock:

It certainly wouldn't be the first time!! LOL

I am a relative NEWBY, but I have had trouble getting Linus and Lucy sequenced even using others as a starting place. Just had to move on to another song. Maybe someday I'll come back to it and have the patience for it.

I had issues with L&L in the beginning also. Then I rode Audacity to the rescue and edited out the boring parts of the song. Take a listen - maybe something like this is what you're loking for:

Thanks George but I can't do Youtube. It's blocked from my area and terminal. Are you registered with Vimeo? That I can get to.