Light-O-Rama Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I was thinking of doing DC strings indirectly with it. Breaking a + line to insert the typical Amp meter is a real PITA, so measure the PSU AC load delta but I just did a search and things have changed (still pricier than a cheapo DVM) https://www.amazon.com/Extech-MA120-Clamp-Current-Detector/dp/B000BEZV5O there are ones under $100, that you just clamp around the lead like you did with the old AC ones (that I have a couple of)
  3. Today
  4. Totally agree, this should be a tool in every lighters bag. You can measure a single string or an entire circuit. https://www.homedepot.com/s/kill%20a%20watt?NCNI-5
  5. The easiest is to get a DC clamp ammeter. Not cheap but I find it very useful in this hobby. You can purchase a Digital Multimeter such as this for as little as $5.00. https://www.amazon.com/Function-Digital-Multimeter-Harbor-Freight/dp/B07BV833YN Its only rated for for 5a so need to be careful. Most of them are fused internally. You're running the power through the meter (in series). You could also use something like this which is typically used in the RC hobby. https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Detector-Analyzer-Current-Voltage/dp/B07PKHPC1T/ref=pd_day0_hl_60_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07PKHPC1T&pd_rd_r=002a392b-664e-11e9-a637-6b060766031a&pd_rd_w=VRPv3&pd_rd_wg=f8JlA&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=T9D8F80Q013Q746QM7C6&psc=1&refRID=T9D8F80Q013Q746QM7C6
  6. CMB24's have switches. be sure you have them firmly in On or OFF. You might exercise the upper octet switches(2,3,4,5) 10,11,12 are normally OFF. 12 is used to reset the board (see the manual for the sequence)
  7. This is where having a Hall Effect clamp-on Amp meter would be handy. Not cheap, but, they work sweet. Just like you would with the AC version Come to think. Use a Kill-a-Watt. Very cost effective. Measure the idle watts, then set 1 string to white. The diff, should be close enough for planning (you couls then do multiples, to see if it tracks
  8. Don't go off of what the manufacturer tells you. Test the strings. You can buy a $10 meter from Harbor Freight. I've never had 12v nodes that were 60ma white. I run my whole display at 30% intensity or less. Average is around 20ma white at 30% intensity
  9. Well I hooked up my three controllers. 2 basic 16 channel and one 24cmd flood controller. They are 1,2,3. When i do a network search it is finding 6 controllers. 1 and 2 seem fine but there is a 3,13,23,33. All 24cmd controllers. Tried to unplug the flood controller and reset it, but now the unit ID wont change. I have no idea what I did to cause this or how to correct it. mike
  10. In the Advanced Port Setting you can set the Max Intensity. You can also adjust the intensity in the Sequencing Suite Software as well.
  11. Can you tell me how the pix Con 16 does it thank you
  12. Yesterday
  13. The amp rating of the controller board is just that - a max rating. Has nothing to do with how much current is passing through it at any given time. As a general rule of thumb, most controller boards are rated for either four or five amps per output. There is also generally a max limit for either the entire board or each half. Your three amps per output should be fine for any controller that I know of. As for your last paragraph, the Pixie controllers have no ability to reduce the outputs by a percentage, the PixCon16 does.
  14. This is the reply from the company from whom I bought my 50 count 12v rgb smart pixels from. I have the lor 16 channel pixel controller v4 and I also have pix con 16 pixel controller and I also have 4 channel pixel controller. I don't think these boards have the ability to change the amps built in to them.I believe it has to be done in the hard ware utility is this right new to rgb ??? thank you don't have a video on this, but our 12v 12mm pixels are 0.06amps per bulb, if you are running the full white. The amps change based on the color the bulb is projecting. So if you plan on 3amps for a 50 count strand you’ll be safe. (50 x 0.06amps = 3amps) The calculate watts: amps x voltage = watts In the case of the 50 count strand: 3amps x 12v = 36 watts. Again, this assumes you are running full white on the lights which would be your worse case scenario. Not to complicate this, but most rgb controllers have the ability to reduce the output of the strands. So you could set the controller to 50% output, which would reduce you to 1.5amps, yet, the brightness of the lights will still be good enough for your display. This would let you reduce the amount of power supplies you need to run your lights.
  15. It is usually in August but hey, who really knows.
  16. Does anyone know the timeline of the summer sale? Is it early summer? If I miss this sale I would have to wait till next year Thanks, AJ
  17. Why make it more complicated than needed? Here is a good read for you as far as setting up the pixie series controllers. Your pixie 16 can be set to unit 1 and your pixie 8 to unit 11. That would make your next available unit ID 19. The pixie series do not use the standard numerical system while assigning unit ID's. Also,my pixie controllers have seen +100 temps and run many hours a day without a fan. My pixie16 and 8 combo does have vents but none of my other pixies have any vents. Have not had a failure. Also I recommend using the control panel to set the unit ID's. The main reason, if you ever need to change them you do not need to open the enclosure. Its all explained in my writeup or video attached to the writeup. JR
  18. Okay,so an answer to my own question. It does cause a problem during playback. It doesn't show the duplicates only the first one that shows in the grid shows up. But I worked it out, i had to select "Same Channel as" and then select the one that considers the 'master' prop. It may not be the first in the list alphabetically.
  19. the back story. Just light strands, not pixels and converted from S4 to S5. I had done work in Visualizer to create an image of my yard. One thing i did was to create multiple 'props' for lights that were on the same circuit. For example, i have 4 windows that were on the same circuit, so i created 4 objects, and assigned them all to the same unit and channel. After conversion to S5, the image looks good and it seems to animate correctly. But in the channel grid it shows on of them, the first which is fine. But in the preview warnings tab, for every prop i created this way, i get this error, "has an invalid master prop". I don't see any way to assign a master prop to get rid of the error.
  20. Last week
  21. The forum worked just as planned... the support from the forum made me comfortable I was doing the right thing and your explanation also explains why restarting everything got it working. I managed to get everything else working as expected so far, being new to S5, still learning the tricks there i suspectI am one of few in a 100 mile radius that had a Christmas tree up in their office on Easter (I made a stand so i could test it indoors).
  22. Phil, Thanks for your thoughtful feedback - it is much appreciated. We design the dialogs and menus so that they are displayed correctly on a standard laptop screen (1366x768 pixels). If you right-click on the sequence grid in the S4 Sequence Editor, the menu overflows the screen on such a laptop. That is why the timing commands were moved down a level in S5. We will look at ways to perhaps make that configurable in a future version. Matt
  23. I am using the box that came with the Pixie16 below. Also using the 500 watt power supply that came with it. Remounted it with a 350 watt power supply that is powering the Pixie 8. It is vented in the back and thinking of putting a fan in the front door. This will be for a Fireworks display so temps could be in mid to upper 90's. It will only need to run for a few hours, one time during the show. Also had room to mount a Gen3 mini Director at the bottom of the box. Plan is to have everything self-contained for the show with a timer to start the mini Director. Have the dip switch set on the Pixie 16 to start at 1 and the Pixie 8 to start at 17. Have not been able to test this yet. Finishing up on wiring
  24. As Mike said: Contact the Mfg. My 50 ct pixel strings are 3A (white). Rule of thumb: Size your PSU at 125% of expected load. You never want to be up against the wall, odd things happen and the life of the PSU can suffer.
  1. Load more activity