Light-O-Rama Forums

*Man im Pissed, Someone cut my rope lights, Lets talk Security.

Santabob

Yea, Looks like the neighbors dog did it, Time to make up some Antifreeze Meat Loaf.

In the spring someone was picking our Tulips so we made a sign. Neighbor comes to tell us that the deer can't read!

Glad to hear it wasn't a vandal who didn't want you using unnecessary electricity.

• 2 years later...

Stumbled on this looking for info on rope lights. I like the video, and instead of the light switch, I would like to put in a spear gun :cool:

I had a little vandalism, looked like stupid teenager nonsense. I am setting up a sequence that will run all night after the show that turns on floods, and cycles through some of the white lights.

Santabob wrote:

Yea, Looks like the neighbors dog did it, Time to make up some Antifreeze Meat Loaf.

JK:P

Our neighbors dog running around the neighborhood that has me not really excited about putting up the display this year.:X The dog already chewed up some of our landscape light wire this summer.

I like the antifreeze meat loaf idea. I wonder if the neighbors would taste the antifreeze?:(

Wild animals are one thing to deal with but with pets roaming the neighborhood it's
the owners that should pay the price not the animal. I would take video of the dog
doing the damage and present it to the owners and have them pay for it or take it
to the authorities if they don't own up to it.

Not going to help against dogs, but I have this on my display:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-WiLife-Digital-Security--Outdoor-Master/dp/B0017U6C0Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320085667&sr=8-6

If you don't have movement (or freezing temperatures) in your display, try
http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5265-Detector-Sprinkler-Repellent/dp/B000BO71NY/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320085730&sr=1-1-catcorr
to keep the dogs away. Just remember to turn it off before you go to fix things. I wonder if the blinking lights would set that off?

I like the paint ball sentry idea. Basically, just blast any little warm blooded animal that comes in range :shock:

I am thinking of leaving my lights on all night at 30% intensity to deter anyone thinking of tampering with my lights and wires. I was thinking 30% would not be enough to annoy the neighbors, but enough to provide a little security and maybe discourage people from messing with 'live' wires.

Will leaving LEDs on at 30% intensity for extended periods damage them?

LORi P wrote:

I am thinking of leaving my lights on all night at 30% intensity to deter anyone thinking of tampering with my lights and wires. I was thinking 30% would not be enough to annoy the neighbors, but enough to provide a little security and maybe discourage people from messing with 'live' wires.

No it won't damage them. (well it shouldn't, if they are good LEDs ; )

I leave all my white lights on at 50% all night. I cycle thru a fade down/up 25% back to 50% every 10 minutes for no reason other than I wanted to.

I leave mine on for the same reason you do plus it helps my cameras 'see' better.

Paul Roberson wrote:

LORi P wrote:
I am thinking of leaving my lights on all night at 30% intensity to deter anyone thinking of tampering with my lights and wires.  I was thinking 30% would not be enough to annoy the neighbors, but enough to provide a little security and maybe discourage people from messing with 'live' wires.

No it won't damage them. (well it shouldn't, if they are good LEDs ; )

I leave all my white lights on at 50% all night. I cycle thru a fade down/up 25% back to 50% every 10 minutes for no reason other than I wanted to.

I leave mine on for the same reason you do plus it helps my cameras 'see' better.

I have had the same approach for the past three years. I program a sequence with slow fades up and down from 20% to 50%. I start this show after my main show ends and run it until the High School kids get on the bus in the morning (6:20a) This keeps power on the grid, lights on my display and my controller functioning (warm). It may cost me another $40 per season in electricity.