Light-O-Rama Forums

mega leaping arch

thebaronn

hello!!
Does anyone have any plans for a single leaping arch that spans about 50 feet?? I was wondering what size PVC you would use and all that jazz. Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!
Eric

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• oohyahla

• lightzilla

• scottsgrfx

thebaronn wrote:

hello!!
Does anyone have any plans for a single leaping arch that spans about 50 feet?? I was wondering what size PVC you would use and all that jazz. Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!
Eric

Dang dude you are getting all out of control.. If I was going to do that I would use metal pipe and brace it every so many feet (20' maybe). From pipe to ground support.

Check out my website here
http://www.bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechSnowballfight.html
This is my snowball fight. It spans just over 50 feet. I use a steel cable supported in the trees. I use caribiners to support the wiring under the cable. It pulls across the street like a shower curtain.Each snowball is dropped down on a wire from the main harness to its designated height show on the autocad drawing. You could do a similiar design and use a second cable to support the arch made up of cable supporting the lights.
I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished it!!!

hehe!!!

Not really and arch, need a few now braces maybe!

But Booyah!!!!

Arch is 45 ft wide, and 15 feet tall!!

Funny story, and I know you are gonna want to read it. I picked the tag for 1 1/2" conduit (it will fit around the stakes) and I had put it all together and was read to slide it on......they gave me 1"!!!! Sweet! I pounded 6ft steakes in the ground for nothing....and they are closed.....So I made lemonade out of lemons and zip tied them to the stakes with 1/2" bad boys.

Next year it will be taller!

Attached files 166733=9588-IMG_0130.JPG

Come'on now, you telling me from base to base that is 45' wide? Are you telling us fish stories....LoL If it is, it sure doesn't look like 45' wide.

Instead of going bigger next year, just save the time and ask if you can wrap the St.Louis Arch...LoL

I aparently cannot add.

It is actually38' and 9"

An it is not 15' tall(i was guessing with 1/3 rule), it is close to 18'-20' (that post in the background is a little over 24' tall)

And my tape measure just broke, it will not retract now.

It is all you fault, I was happy in my ignorance. I do have 2 more 10' conduit peices left (I wanted to go alllll the way accross the property around 80').....nah....it was hard enough getting a friend to help me, that was more that a 2 man job but we managed (lucky it didnt snap in half).

Next year.......

crazytrain83 wrote:

OK...nice arch.

But the wife is more interested in the "gingerbread house" on the left. It looks awesome.

Details please!

Sigh.....well it was supposed to be a Santa house, but I will take what I can get. My plans were to dress up as Santa and have the cotume be wireless like I did with the grim reaper costume for halloween
but i gave up.

This is one of those things that i built to go with some lights I purchased. They are these awesome icicle lights (not the danglers, actual icicles with lwhite LEDs inside the plastic icicle). Each strand is 12' (i think) and there are only 2 strands, left and right. (they were $20 each at costco).

So I built the roof first and then filled in the base. It is only a front panel. It is supported by braces in the back and a pile of 2X4s for weight in the back to keep it from rolling forward.

There are 400 red LEDs on the front. The door is made with 150 green LEDs. Each window is 100 ct multi LEDs. And then on the left and right are old school NOEL Blowmold Candles. Each area is painted with the color of the LEDs. Im so sick that i put up the icicles on the plain wood (stapled it and everything.) sketched the outline of the snow, took the lights down, then painted it, let it dry and the then restapled the lights back up. So I got the snow covered roof look.

During the day it is certainly the centerpiece of the display.

Now I just need to take down the halloween fence!!! (it still has orange LEDs on it)

LOL!!

Texan78 wrote:

Come'on now, you telling me from base to base that is 45' wide? Are you telling us fish stories....LoL If it is, it sure doesn't look like 45' wide.

Instead of going bigger next year, just save the time and ask if you can wrap the St.Louis Arch...LoL

Forget all those numbers i said. There is no way they are correct. They dont even jive with the numbers i had for the house. I was looking at the picture and started thinking.....I will measure at some point when it is light out!

But now I may be forced to make it bigger because I wanted it to be 40' wide....

Maybe I can make it accross the whole yard!!!.

Sigh....but i am probably done, i like my marriage.....

not yet, im in the market for a video camera right now.

But i think I made a mistake and made my arch using LEDs....

It is the first time i used LEDs in an arch and i dont like it. It doesnt have the same smoothness as regular minis.......grrrrr

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Geez Baron. I am in San Ramon, 40 miles away and I think I see your arch.. ha!

Why, thank you, we drove all the way to San Ramon last year to watch your display.

(cul-de-sac right?) just want to make sure it was your house and not someone elses....lol

• 4 weeks later...

So here are the true dimensions of the arch, not as impressive as once believed but here it is.

The arch is 31 feet wide and 15 feet tall. The length of the arch is as follows: 5 10' electrical PVC conduit (i originally thought I used all 6, but I forgot i used one for the support in the middle) so that is 50ft minus 4 2" overlap sections and then i cut off 4 feet of excess, so 50' - 4' - 8" = 45' 4" in total arch length,

Attached files 169840=9758-DSC02681.JPG

The arch is made up of only 9 channels each with a 100ct LEDs strand from Costco (that I bought last year). I wrapped it on it self (staggered the lights) and zip tied it. Then that left me with 9 5' sections (roughly, some smaller, some bigger)

Here is a picture of the left side. I went to OSH and bought this stff last minute (i was the last customer) and thought I purchased 1.5" conduit (so it could fit around the stake) but I didnt and only realized it after I wrapped everything and it was 10pm at night. So I just used my large zip ties and Zip tied the base of the arch to the stakes.

Attached files 169841=9759-DSC02683.JPG