Light-O-Rama Forums

FED UP!!!

Robin

Charles Belcher wrote:

I have had the channel hopping problem since 2005, long before S2 and tracks. It has occured on three different computers, first with Windows 98 then XP Pro.

Charles

Now that I think about it, this may be a leftover from the artificial intelligence code that we originally put into the sequence editor. It was supposed to pre-determine what you were going to click and click things for you, thus save you lots of time. It didn't work well so we took it out.

This should have been posted on April 1.

Hope to get to the bottom of it.

Dan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• Charles Belcher

• Max-Paul

• bob

I'm new at this and on my second sequence I started last night that thing was jumping around like a chicken with it head cut off.

Charles Belcher wrote:

I have had the channel hopping problem since 2005, long before S2 and tracks. It has occured on three different computers, first with Windows 98 then XP Pro.

Being as I'm still "on the fence" in regards to S2, is there anyone who had NO hopping with LOR1, but they NOW have it with S2?

Sorry in advance if this was mentioned already and I missed it.

tonyjmartin wrote:

Charles Belcher wrote:

Being as I'm still "on the fence" in regards to S2, is there anyone who had NO hopping with LOR1, but they NOW have it with S2?

Sorry in advance if this was mentioned already and I missed it.

As mentioned this does not happen to many people and we are going to fix it. One of the reasons it is not fixed yet is that we can not get it to happen!

Most likely if we cannot get to the answer without help we are going to start sending diagnostics laden programs to volunteers who can help us understand what the problem is.

This does not answer you question but is an FYI.

TGabriel wrote:

I'm new at this and on my second sequence I started last night that thing was jumping around like a chicken with it head cut off.

Hi,

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you would click on a row and the screen would move one row up/down or one column left/right... Is it moving up/down or left/right?

Does it matter where you are clicking on the screen? Does being close to the top or close to the bottom, left side, right side make it more likely that it moves?

What version of software are you using?

Type of PC being used?

All this info will help use get to the resolution.

Thanks
Dan

Dan,

You pretty acurately described what happens to me. It always seems to be that the grid scrolls up one line. It does not scroll left or right. It happens just as I click the mouse. If I try to select channel 3, as soon as I click on channel 3, the grid scrolls up and my click ends up being on channel 4, the one below I was trying to select.

It doesn't seem to matter where I am at on the screen, top, bottom, middle, side, etc.

I am using the latest version of LOR (can't remember the #, I'm at work). It has happened with every version I have used since day one, back in 2005.

I am using Windows 2000 on a Pentium 4 - 2.4 Ghz

Hope that helps.

TomD wrote:

Dan,

You pretty acurately described what happens to me. It always seems to be that the grid scrolls up one line. It does not scroll left or right. It happens just as I click the mouse. If I try to select channel 3, as soon as I click on channel 3, the grid scrolls up and my click ends up being on channel 4, the one below I was trying to select.

It doesn't seem to matter where I am at on the screen, top, bottom, middle, side, etc.

I am using the latest version of LOR (can't remember the #, I'm at work). It has happened with every version I have used since day one, back in 2005.

I am using Windows 2000 on a Pentium 4 - 2.4 Ghz

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info.

Dan

I haven't chimed in on this thread, but this happens to me also. And it is funny that you can do the same motion 20-30 times and nothing happens and then boom it jumps.

Dan,

I currently am testing the latest version of S2 that is Beta, and it still happens. I believe it is 2.2.0. The problem still exists. I actually posted about it in the Beta forums too for Bob.

It doesn't matter where I am in the screen and it is a little random. At times it will jump up, at times it will jump over, etc.

Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5Ghz

Dan

You can check your files and see that I just a few week ago got the software and I update to the latest and greatest. It would jump UP very now and than with me and I'm running Vista. If I spelled that correct. Happen about 6 to 8 times, I hope this helps?

Thomas

I have not been part of this discussion as many users have contributed go input.

I have noticed the hopping and discovered when there is a cell not aligned on the left side or bottom of the window, when clicking any cell it would then align the cells in the window.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks for all the input and please keep it coming! Even if it only happens rarely to you your input may be helpful. We want to fix this. The more info we have the more we can hope to "see" what the problem.

The more exact details that you can provide of what is going on when it happens the better.

Type of command you are using (on/off/fade/twinkle... etc)..

Sequence Editor is maximized, Indivudual sequence is maximized within the sequence editor, number of rows/columns showing, resolution of the screen, etc...

Dan

Just wanted to say "me too". The hopping does seem to happen randomly to me also. You can do something 10 times in a row and no hop, then the Jack Rabbit gets the urge and hop... ;)

Thanks for looking into it Dan and crew!

This problem hasn't happened at all for me. I've used all the various versions of LOR up to and including the latest (v2.1.6).

I have sequenced on a desktop PC and two laptop PCs; two of the computers run Windows XP SP3 and one laptop runs Windows Vista SP1.

The XP desktop PC has 2 GB of ram, the XP laptop has 1.5 GB and the Vista laptop has 1 GB of ram.

Looking for common threads....My use of the LOR software is the same on all three machines, here are some common threads that may be of use in troubleshooting....

* I don't use the Animation window feature at all
* I always have the music waveform visible at full height
* I view fades as ramps
* I view channel buttons and channel button colors
* I view the time scale
* I have "select" depressed for the tools icon most of the time
* I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts when sequencing
* I use the mouse mainly to locate the cursor in cells or select groups of cells
* I use only WAV files for audio
* My configuration file for this year contains 630 channels, but about 200 of those are spares and/or futures
* I use the Tracks feature, but pretty sparingly
* Most songs use 0.05 second timing
* I am planning on adding DMX this year, but haven't added it to the sequences yet
* Display Preferences are all selected (4)
* On network preferences, all settings are default, network is comm3
* I don't use any video in the sequences

That's about all I can think of. Dan, if you'd like me to provide any additional info (since my setup doesn't show this problem), I'd be happy to work with you....

Thanks, Randy

Randy wrote:

This problem hasn't happened at all for me. I've used all the various versions of LOR up to and including the latest (v2.1.6).

[snip]

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the information. All information (both when it happens and when it does not happen) will be helpful.

Thanks
Dan

Well if your all talking about when you go to click a cell and it jumps to another cell then yes it is happening to me too.

It mostly clicks to the left of the cell that I want to click in the 1st place. It does not happen every single time but it does happen enough to get a person frustrated.

I best keep track just on how often it happens in say a 1 or 2 hour span.

It's possible that this will be fixed in the next release.

I can't say for sure, because I've never been able to make it happen for me (and still can't), so I really don't know whether or not it's fixed now. But I've modified some suspicious-looking code to look less... uh... suspicious.

Hopefully, that modification will fix the problem, but again, I don't know. So, after the next release comes out, if people could let me know whether they still run into this problem or not, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks, and sorry for the problem in the first place.

bob wrote:

It's possible that this will be fixed in the next release.

I can't say for sure, because I've never been able to make it happen for me (and still can't), so I really don't know whether or not it's fixed now. But I've modified some suspicious-looking code to look less... uh... suspicious.

Hopefully, that modification will fix the problem, but again, I don't know. So, after the next release comes out, if people could let me know whether they still run into this problem or not, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks, and sorry for the problem in the first place.
Bob,

I have an idea.

You know air fare is really, really cheap now......so pack a day bag, buy a plane ticket, log your trip in Facebook and go to the problem source. On this thread alone, we have posters who are experiencing this problem from the following states/provinces:

Florida
Texas
California
Ohio
Iowa
Idaho
North Carolina
New Jersey
New York
Indiana
New Hampshire
Georgia
Illinois
Tennessee
Maryland
Alberta, CA

Cha rles,

Oops. my keyboard just hopped again!

Attached files 174675=9997-airplane.jpg

Thanks Bob

I sure hope that the code:

(If)= button pushed

(Then)= no funny jumping

(Else) = Operator beats machine

sure helps in the next release. :D Not sure if my desk or keyboard can take too much more fist pounding. And all that blue air if I don't catch the jump certainly isn't too productive either!! :shock:

Bill

Thanks for the thread of hope on the future fix. But do you have a time frame for the next update or next release. ALSO do you think it would help you more if I was to make a video of my screen while I was doing a seq. to show you what it actually looks like when it happens? It happens so often, I'm sure I could get it on the camera. Paul