Light-O-Rama Forums

Pro controllers or Residential for weather

Tharkun

Newbie ready to plunge. I live in south AL and weather here can be very wet in winter. My planned set up will require all of my stuff outside. I notice that it looks like residential controllers and systems are in plastic cases and pro stuff is in metal. For those of you in wet areas, is the metal a better option for weather resistance?

Thanks!

I've used residential controllers for years here in Dallas/Fort Worth. I simply put a plastic bag over the enclosure to keep moisture out.

Haven't had a problem.

I've used the residential controllers here in Georgia for years with absolutely no issues. Save the extra money and get some more stuff.

• Like 1

They each have their advantages. Both will do the same effects and work great. I use the pro controllers because I like the extra safety feature of being completely isolated from the high current wires of the control board. I also like being able to set the controller id on the controller and have a digital readout along with setting it in the software. Also if you ever have to or want to do any commercial shows you will need the pro controller that has a UL weatherproof rating (not WATERPROOF, Weatherproof). Also if a residential box is closed but not latched all the way you may not notice you didn't secure the lid and rain/snow will get in and possibly do damage. The residential is cheaper so you need to weight the pros and cons and see which you'll be happier with.

Later,

Al

I've used the residential controllers exclusively since 2008.  Other than self-inflicted ones caused by leaving the door open, I've never had a single issue with either rain, sleet or snow.

All the controllers do the exact same things.  I agree with Mr. P. - spend the extra money on stuff that lights up.

3 hours ago, Tharkun said:

Newbie ready to plunge. I live in south AL and weather here can be very wet in winter. My planned set up will require all of my stuff outside. I notice that it looks like residential controllers and systems are in plastic cases and pro stuff is in metal. For those of you in wet areas, is the metal a better option for weather resistance?

Thanks!

I'm probably just a couple hours north however had my farm in Hartford (Geneva) area. We get monsoons as well. My controllers never leak, the only thing I had affected was my tomato cage mini trees.

JR

Residential controllers are better at keeping small critters out too. Piece of foam pinched in cable spots and you're done. The metal ones also are not sprinkler proof.
I agree with Mr. P and Master George, buy more lights with the money you save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the others on residential, been using the CTB16PC's for 4 years or so in Sunny, sometimes "liquid" Florida, been out in a hurricane and never had any issues with mine.  I do use the PVC foam for covering small pipes to inset in my Cat5 openings as well as any other openings critters can get into.  That small foam cut to size has kept the bug-a-boos out of my controllers for years now.   Also on any channel that may not be used I use those child proof protective outlet covers on those dangles, I also use them on every pass through plug on my light strands at at the last strand that may have a female end, this has kept the water out of my plugs and dangles and also helped keep my GFCI from tripping when or if my show is running in any type of rain, from slight to a hard downpour.    So use the money you'll save on extra lights or props you'll want to add to your display.