Light-O-Rama Forums

Love LOR - Trying Raspberry PI B + w/ Falcon Pi Cap

Jay Czerwinski

I love LOR and want to continue using the software I know how to use.   

I am experimenting with Raspberry PI B + w/ Falcon Pi Cap.    I finally got two strands of pixels to light up using FPP direct from my computer to run a test mode from FPP.  

Now I want to light those pixels up from LOR - preferably from the hardware utility, but eventually from my showtime products.

Can anyone help me in the final steps and give me some advice on how to make LOR control the FPP Pi Cap on a Pi B+?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Haven't tested it yet but am told that the falcon player has to be in bridge mode for LOR to talk to it.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

go over to the aussie lighting  forms   search  on using pi

When I do that, I get more of a push to XLights or other things I don't want to learn outside of LOR.

Looking to socialize and solve problems with LOR folks! :-)

Creating your own light controller is interesting, but interfacing it to LOR software may be a challenge.

The base LOR protocol is proprietary (back in the day, there were a few who reversed engineered it).

The LOR enhanced protocol is proprietary and requires the PRO version of LOR software.

You could interface your hardware using DMX (E1.31) (which is more of an open protocol), and would require Advanced or PRO LOR software.

I think what you are asking is to interface via their standard LOR protocol.  That would be great, but would require someone to reverse engineer the LOR protocol.

Once that LOR protocol was documented, think of all the open source unique software that could be written on top that.

I would expect the majority of users of LOR products use the base LOR protocol format. Then some use the LOR enhanced, and others use the DMX.

Sounds like a fun project!!!

To me it's like when Microsoft got more closed and more proprietary, Microsoft actually inadvertently promoted LINUX adoption.

Although a much smaller customer base, LOR is ripe for creating an open source copy (I guess that's what xlights is).

I think Pixel Editor and SuperStar started that way, then got rolled into the LOR family.  I could be wrong.  That's just my speculation.

Edited by christmascrossing
  • Thanks 1

Setup your Raspberry Pi with the cap and pixels testing from the pie first to confirm that your pixels are working. Then go in and Define you're DMX universes and channels and set up the pi in bridge mode. You'll have to go into LOR  and set up you're DMX and e1.31 to match what you set up in the pi.  

I'm not sure what your license level is but you will need to be using e1.31 to communicate with the pi.

I strongly suggest using the pi in unicast mode versus multicast. 

Join us over in the Falcon Christmas forum to better help you with this project. 

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys - I'm using DMX (E1.31) and have managed to get things working right from the LOR sequencer now.    What a trip to be running a controller without a CAT5 line connected.   

My next challenge is that the Falcon Pi Cap on the Raspberry Pi can run a huge amount of channels/pixels, and LOR does 170 pixels per a universe.   So I'm testing to see how many universes I can send from LOR to the Pi.   I'll report back here with any success.   Thanks again!!

• The topic was locked