• Announcements

• LORAdmin

S5 Beta Comments   07/16/2017

Please keep all comments about S5 in the Open Beta General Comments section. This will help the developers by only have to look in one area of the forums for comments/questions/concerns about S5.
bdwillie

5 Kills 4

21 posts in this topic

OK,  Wanted to try 5 so installed it on my laptop in a different directory than my 4 installation.  And now I can't run my 4.  Desktop shortcuts are blank, and won't run from the 4 directory.  Fixing to uninstall and reinstall my 4.  Is there a way to have both on one machine?  Don't want to have to convert everything to 5 until it is a done deal, but wanted to start playing with it when I had time

As far as I know, you've never been able to have two different versions on the machine at the same time.

I tried to get both running. Totally screwed up everything. Had to go in and edit a bunch of paths in the registry to fix it.

If you  install S5 do you have to create all new props in he pixel editor or will  the props be saved from last years pixel editor,  thanks again Dennis

Dennis

There are several ways to get your PE props from last year into S5. No worries there!

Has anyone successfully installed S5, then uninstalled S5, and then reinstalled S4?

I want to play around with it on my desktop computer with my big monitors, but I don't want to create a problem going backwards.

Yes, I have done this on several computers and it has worked fine on all of them as long as you leave the default path the same.

On 7/16/2017 at 11:46 PM, Dennis Laff said:

If you  install S5 do you have to create all new props in he pixel editor or will  the props be saved from last years pixel editor,  thanks again Dennis

Any previews you created in the Pixel Editor will automatically be transferred to S5. FYI:

In the Pixel Editor, previews are stored in: Light-O-Rama\PixelEditor\LORPixelEditorData.xml

In S5, previews are stored in: Light-O-Rama\CommonData\LORPreviews.xml

If you use DropBox or a similar cloud-based storage service, you should set the "Light-O-Rama\CommonData" directory to synchronize with your cloud storage.

Matt

On 7/16/2017 at 9:11 PM, dougd said:

I tried to get both running. Totally screwed up everything. Had to go in and edit a bunch of paths in the registry to fix it.

@dougd Having this problem currently. I installed the beta of LORs5 on my laptop. I decided I wanted to switch back to s4, so I uninstalled s5, and reinstalled s4. Now when I open the sequence editor (s4) it gives me an error that reads "Error starting the Light-O-Rama Sequence Editor (Watch Registry: NetVersion.)

How did you fix this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Be very careful editing the registry.  What i did was run regedit.

Goto

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Light-O-Rama\

Double check all the paths in there and make sure they are correct. In my case they were not correct and I had to manually fix them.

I will double check with Matt to see if we are handling the registry different in S5 and see if we can make going back to S4 easier.

The solution right now is if you go back to 4 from 5, you need to do the complete uninstall and registry wipe:

If possible, open Sequence Editor and goto Help/About LOR Sequence Editor. Copy your license key number somewhere. You'll need this later. Shut down the Sequence Editor.  If you can not start the Sequence Editor, you can retrieve your license key at: http://lightorama.com/licenseCheck.html

If the LOR light bulb is in your system tray, right click and pick 'Unload Light-O-Rama' 

Go into the Windows Control Panel and uninstall the Light-O-Rama application (Typically under 'Programs and Features'). Don't worry about your existing sequences because they will stay in place.

Now we're going to wipe the LOR Registry entries. 

Now download this program: http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/4.3.18/LORRegistryWipe.exe

Run the LORRegistryWipe.exe program. 

This will clear out all LOR entries in the Windows Registry so it will be like your computer has never heard of Light-O-Rama before. 

Now reload the Light-O-Rama S3 or S4 package. If you don't already have the software the Light-O-Rama software downloads can be found at http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-dow... The latest version is at the top of the page and previous versions are located at the bottom of the page. It's a big file and could take several minutes to download so be patient.

When asked, you'll need to re-enter your Light-O-Rama License Key so use what you copied at the beginning of this process or find your license key here: http://lightorama.com/licenseCheck.html 

That's it! Your sequences are still in the same location on your computer hard drive as before.

I have switched back between S4 and S5 a few times now. As long as you use the default paths and dont change anything it worked fine for me. One time I tried to trick it and install S5 in a different location than where S4 was installed. That is when my computer wouldn't work with S4 when I went back.

Couple questions:

1.  Do I have to have S4 installed to install S5?   Would like to do it on a fresh computer, rather than risk my sequences with beta software

2.  If I use S5 to sequence, can I run the sequences on S4?

3.  Can I extract intensity files from a sequence in S5?   I lost my drive that had the SS files on it, and am now stuck with the intensity files that are loaded into my sequences, with no way to edit them.  This is a HUGE problem, and LOR has shown little interest in understanding this.  I need to edit these files, as things have changed in my display, and my only option, at this point, is to start from scratch, and I am so not interested in that.  Kinda silly (and very frustrating) that the files exist in the sequence in sequence editor, but can not be edited, or extracted back into SS for editing in any way.

4.  After a year of PE, I still can not get it to do one damn thing.  Not one.  Nothing, nada, zilch.  Can I expect the same in S5?  I know this one can't really be answered, and I'm not really expecting one.  Just venting frustration at what seems to be a lack of user friendlyness.  To be fair, I had the same issue with SS at one point, but now love it.  Just wish there were videos with the very, very basics of PE explained.  

Edited by Dcroc

I can answer number 1 i believe. S4 has to be licensed before you can install S5. So just install S4, license it and then install S5.

4 minutes ago, dougd said:

I can answer number 1 i believe. S4 has to be licensed before you can install S5. So just install S4, license it and then install S5.

Actually, not correct. You can install the beta on a PC that has never had LOR installed on it before. After installation, if you want to register it, go into the Sequencer and select Help > Upgrade Light-O-Rama -- just like you would in S4 using the Sequence Editor.

Matt

28 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

No.  New format and filenames used as far as I can tell.

28 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

3.  Can I extract intensity files from a sequence in S5?   I lost my drive that had the SS files on it, and am now stuck with the intensity files that are loaded into my sequences, with no way to edit them.  This is a HUGE problem, and LOR has shown little interest in understanding this.  I need to edit these files, as things have changed in my display, and my only option, at this point, is to start from scratch, and I am so not interested in that.  Kinda silly (and very frustrating) that the files exist in the sequence in sequence editor, but can not be edited, or extracted back into SS for editing in any way.

No.  I would not expect to ever be able to.  As I understand what is happening with an intensity file, it is just the results of the sequence.  Since there is essentially an unlimited way of creating those results, there is no way to know how those result were achieved.  Let me give a math comparison to what I am saying that may make it more obvious.  If I told you that the solution to a math addition problem was 4, and asked you what the problem was, there is no way you could tell me as there is an unlimited number of possibilities  ( 0 + 4 = 4, 1 + 3 = 4, 2 + 2 = 4, 3 + 1 = 4, 4 + 0 = 4, 5 + -1 = 4, 6 + -2 = 4, etc. ).  I'm sorry that you lost your sequences.  It's one of the reasons that I preach so often about backing up your sequences - and in particular, off site backups.

38 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

4.  After a year of PE, I still can not get it to do one damn thing.  Not one.  Nothing, nada, zilch.  Can I expect the same in S5?  I know this one can't really be answered, and I'm not really expecting one.  Just venting frustration at what seems to be a lack of user friendlyness.  To be fair, I had the same issue with SS at one point, but now love it.  Just wish there were videos with the very, very basics of PE explained.  

S5 is essentially Pixel Editor with some of Sequence Editor added to it.  There is an awkward and exceedingly limited way to use SuperStar with it, but it has a long way way to go before it is usable in my opinion (examples available if desired).  Personally I would LOVE to have a good interface so I could sequence almost all of my show in SuperStar (how I do it now), and then add a few Pixel Editor effects.

52 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Yes you can. In the S5 Sequencer, you select "Create Playback Files". It produces a file with a .PLAY.LMS or .PLAY.LAS extension. And if you have a Pro license, it also produces an intensity data file with a .PLAY.LMS.PE.LID or  .PLAY.LAS.PE.LID extension. The "play" files can be scheduled using S4 or S5.

Matt

3 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

Yes you can. In the S5 Sequencer, you select "Create Playback Files". It produces a file with a .PLAY.LMS or .PLAY.LAS extension. And if you have a Pro license, it also produces an intensity data file with a .PLAY.LMS.PE.LID or  .PLAY.LAS.PE.LID extension. The "play" files can be scheduled using S4 or S5.

Matt

Thanks Matt.  I stand corrected.

20 hours ago, k6ccc said:

No.  New format and filenames used as far as I can tell.

No.  I would not expect to ever be able to.  As I understand what is happening with an intensity file, it is just the results of the sequence.  Since there is essentially an unlimited way of creating those results, there is no way to know how those result were achieved.  Let me give a math comparison to what I am saying that may make it more obvious.  If I told you that the solution to a math addition problem was 4, and asked you what the problem was, there is no way you could tell me as there is an unlimited number of possibilities  ( 0 + 4 = 4, 1 + 3 = 4, 2 + 2 = 4, 3 + 1 = 4, 4 + 0 = 4, 5 + -1 = 4, 6 + -2 = 4, etc. ).  I'm sorry that you lost your sequences.  It's one of the reasons that I preach so often about backing up your sequences - and in particular, off site backups.

This makes no sense to me.  It's suppose to be a software suit.  All programs should work together.  SS turns the sequence into code (intensity file), thus, it should be able to extract the code back into SS so that it can be edited.  I didn't lose the sequence, just the SS file.  The sequence plays fine, I simply can not edit the intensity files for my RGB lights.  Thus, I am stuck with it as it is.  In my view, this is not a small thing, and really should not be a hard fix.  For SS to be able to turn a sequence into an intensity file, but not be able to open the intensity file just seems silly.  It's like my MP3 editor not being able to open an MP3 file for editing once it has saved it as an MP3 file.

This makes me a little leary of S5, and yet another file format (.Play)

Edited by Dcroc

Yes it does make sense. Re-read my math analogy. There is no way to determine what the equation was based solely on the answer. In computer terms, playing a .lms file is like reading and interpreting the source code, whereas the intensity file is the output of a compiler. Granted, that in some cases a compiled program can by de-compiled, but it's not easy.
As for the play.lms, I'm guessing here that it is the same as a compressed sequence (.lcs) file based on Matt saying that S4 can play it. If you look at the file, it says it is a compressed file.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

Edited by k6ccc
Android changed a word so a sentence did not make sense - fixed on PC