• Announcements

• LORAdmin

S5 Beta Comments   07/16/2017

Please keep all comments about S5 in the Open Beta General Comments section. This will help the developers by only have to look in one area of the forums for comments/questions/concerns about S5.

Success - Adding SS to SE in S5

21 posts in this topic

After doing it 3 times to make sure I understood what I was doing, I felt silly for how easy it was to do. I was making it way harder than it needed to be. This is what is working for me. I have no idea if this is how LOR intends for it to work. Sure could use some docs or tuts.

Start / Work in a new/clean directory.

Open a SS .sup file for an Smart RGB prop. In my case I a using a SS sequence I made awhile ago for my Blade Spinner.

Export the SS file to Sequence Editor -  export in Legacy Format save it to your working directory. ( I was fully expecting to save it as an Intensity File)

Start SE, and open the .LMS file created from the export of SS

The SS effects should be there. In SE Add New View and add all of your other RGB Props. Start Sequencing.

It is possible to layer effects on top of SS. Depending on the amount of effects running on the prop from SS, they will be hard to see. If you have areas in your SS sequence that you didn't add SSeffects fill them in with SE effects. You can even edit out some effects from the SS sequence from within SE and add SE effects back in. Very Cool.

Not is all good yet. after I make modifications to the Sequence and save it, I Created Playback Files, the load that file and I thought I should see playback in the SE visualizer window but no go. Still tinkering with that. I may have to pull out some controllers and props to test it out.

I'll try and make a short video about what i have ale to do so far. If someone else has done it differently I really like to hear how you did it.

Alan...

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, default said:

After doing it 3 times to make sure I understood what I was doing, I felt silly for how easy it was to do. I was making it way harder than it needed to be. This is what is working for me. I have no idea if this is how LOR intends for it to work. Sure could use some docs or tuts.

Start / Work in a new/clean directory.

Open a SS .sup file for an Smart RGB prop. In my case I a using a SS sequence I made awhile ago for my Blade Spinner.

Export the SS file to Sequence Editor -  export in Legacy Format save it to your working directory. ( I was fully expecting to save it as an Intensity File)

The SS effects should be there. In SE Add New View and add all of your other RGB Props. Start Sequencing.

It is possible to layer effects on top of SS. Depending on the amount of effects running on the prop from SS, they will be hard to see. If you have areas in your SS sequence that you didn't add SSeffects fill them in with SE effects. You can even edit out some effects from the SS sequence from within SE and add SE effects back in. Very Cool.

Not is all good yet. after I make modifications to the Sequence and save it, I Created Playback Files, the load that file and I thought I should see playback in the SE visualizer window but no go. Still tinkering with that. I may have to pull out some controllers and props to test it out.

I'll try and make a short video about what i have ale to do so far. If someone else has done it differently I really like to hear how you did it.

Alan...

Thanks. I will give that a shot when I get some time. If you don't mind making a video sometime soon that would be awesome. Thanks again very much for the information!

Eric

52 minutes ago, default said:

Alan, I'm a little confused by your description.  You talk about exporting a single SuperStar Prop.  My current SuperStar configuration has something like 20 props.  Does that mean I have to export them one at a time?  My entire show is sequenced in SuperStar.  I tried loading a SuperStar legacy format export and use the same Visualization to create a preview.  First of all, it archived a large number of my channels (anything that was a single RGB channel).  Twinkles don't look right in the preview (they're all white).

The preview is probably the key to success. I sequence 1 prop at a time in SS. I wouldn't think having 20 props should matter, as long as SE will import it. I would think it will work. I'll combine some of my props and give it a try. I am about to post a video about how I did what I did. I forgot to explain my Previews. I can take some screenies and see if I can show you that way. As far as the twinkles in the visualizer, I have no idea I haven't seen that yet. (unless I added them into the effects)

Alan...

11 minutes ago, default said:

The preview is probably the key to success.

I would agree that is likely true.  Unfortunately creating a preview from a Visualization file does not work right.

12 minutes ago, default said:

I sequence 1 prop at a time in SS

Not me.  I sequence the entire show in SuperStar, and export as an intensity file.  There is only one channel in the Sequence Editor file (only because it won't let you have none).

Firstly apologies for the sound in the video, my mic sucks and blows at the same time. During 1 point the sound lags behind the video. This was a quick and dirty project. SE crashed on me during the video capture. etc... The wifeys do home soon and I haven't even started my 'honey do's'.

Hopefully it will give you a visual on how I got this far. I failed to explain my Previews. I'll post some screenshots and try to explain it that way.

Alan...

Here is some insight as to how I setup my Preview files. I forgot to explain them in the video. Just like in past version of LOR suite, the Visualization of your lights is important.

The first thing I did was to Import Visualizer.

S5%20Preview_1.png

My Visualizer file (from ver 4.3.18) was a Visualization file contain all my props with a background of where they are placed in the yard. The file is called 2017 Yard Layout 2.lee

S5%20Preview_2.png

This what the Visualizer file looks like after being imported in SE Preview Design. I deleted every prop that wasn't Smart RGB.

S5%20Preview_3.png

Next I Created a Group of all the Smart RGB props. Then I created additional Groups for all the Individual Props. In my case I created 2 Groups for the Blade Spinner and Pixel Spinner, 1 group is set as Preview and the other is set as Nested. The nested group changes the ways effects are displayed on the props. It only seems to work with props that are circular. For most people Use Preveiw is the option you want. Be sure to slide the High Res bar up so that the props displays nicely. (maybe a cause of the twinkling?)

S5%20Preview_4.png

I ended up with a Preview that has all the props Grouped as 1, and all individual props Grouped separately

S5%20Preview_5.png

It took me some time organize all the views. You could Group 2 or more props together so effects can be added to multiple props.

This where my Preview came from in the video.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

5 minutes ago, default said:

Here is some insight as to how I setup my Preview files. I forgot to explain them in the video. Just like in past version of LOR suite, the Visualization of your lights is important.

The first thing I did was to Import Visualizer.

S5%20Preview_1.png

My Visualizer file (from ver 4.3.18) was a Visualization file contain all my props with a background of where they are placed in the yard. The file is called 2017 Yard Layout 2.lee

S5%20Preview_2.png

This what the Visualizer file looks like after being imported in SE Preview Design. I deleted every prop that wasn't Smart RGB.

S5%20Preview_3.png

Next I Created a Group of all the Smart RGB props. Then I created additional Groups for all the Individual Props. In my case I created 2 Groups for the Blade Spinner and Pixel Spinner, 1 group is set as Preview and the other is set as Nested. The nested group changes the ways effects are displayed on the props. It only seems to work with props that are circular. For most people Use Preveiw is the option you want. Be sure to slide the High Res bar up so that the props displays nicely. (maybe a cause of the twinkling?)

S5%20Preview_4.png

I ended up with a Preview that has all the props Grouped as 1, and all individual props Grouped separately

S5%20Preview_5.png

It took me some time organize all the views. You could Group 2 or more props together so effects can be added to multiple props.

This where my Preview came from in the video.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

I understand that and actually got my 12 ccr sup file to work in SE. But lets say I also have a matrix sequenced in superstar and I want to export it along with my 12 ccr sup file. How does one do that? I sequence my props separately in superstar and in the past merged them together to play in SE. I cannot merge the two together in legacy format. How does one make this happen. I hope you understand my question? Thanks

This is interesting.  On your Preview List, you are seeing stuff different than I am.  Where yours says "Import Visualizer" mine says just "Import".  And where yours says "Export SuperStar" mine just says "Export".  Confirm that you are seeing this in S5 Sequencer v5.0.0?

10 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

This is interesting.  On your Preview List, you are seeing stuff different than I am.  Where yours says "Import Visualizer" mine says just "Import".  And where yours says "Export SuperStar" mine just says "Export".  Confirm that you are seeing this in S5 Sequencer v5.0.0?

s5%20ver.png

Interesting catch, dunno if they Pro version matters. As far as the Export Superstar button, I'm not sure what that does. I know it creates a file in the LOR/ImportExport directory. The file is xml, so it is readable. What is does beyond that I don't know.

28 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

I understand that and actually got my 12 ccr sup file to work in SE. But lets say I also have a matrix sequenced in superstar and I want to export it along with my 12 ccr sup file. How does one do that? I sequence my props separately in superstar and in the past merged them together to play in SE. I cannot merge the two together in legacy format. How does one make this happen. I hope you understand my question? Thanks

I understand the question and don't have an answer. I also have multiple props sequenced in SS for the same song. So far I have only tried to get 1 SS file into SE. That is my next project.

Alan...

5 minutes ago, default said:

s5%20ver.png

Interesting catch, dunno if they Pro version matters. As far as the Export Superstar button, I'm not sure what that does. I know it creates a file in the LOR/ImportExport directory. The file is xml, so it is readable. What is does beyond that I don't know.

I'm also Pro (and I have re-registered it so it does not harass me every time I start it.  This is mine:

S5_Preview_window.jpg

14 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I'm also Pro (and I have re-registered it so it does not harass me every time I start it.  This is mine:

S5_Preview_window.jpg

In this field mine says export to superstar. I am not sure why they would be different.

I knew I saw an export SS somewhere.

In another thread nasa1952 said

Yes you can layer PE effect over SS I just finished a sequence in PE. You can also create a SS sequence export as LMS. Then create a new musical sequence with your controller configuration and save it. Open that file in PE, Open the SS file you exported to create the LMS file in PE also. As long as the prop is the same in both SE And PE yo
Can use the migration tool in PE to bring The SS sequence in. You will get another screen to select the prop. My prop in PE is called CCR Tree. The same name as in SE. You check it in the box nd it will bring the complete file into the PE grid. If you click it and open the effects you will see it is a movie AVI format and you can also see the file location. At this point you can now create another effect pin wheel butterfly or curtain an insert it on the line under the SS file you migrated in. You can also do more as long as you have a SS license. I hope this helps and not confused anyone.

nasa1952,

I quoted you here to keep your info in a thread where people might see it more.

I haven't tried the migration route and will soon. Good find, this is probably more in line with route LOR intends (my guess). It didn't really make sense to me to export/import as a legacy file, but it was what I found that worked. Have you had success migrating more than one prop at a time?

Alan...

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I have it installed on a Win10 box, yours looks to be on a WinXP box, i wonder if it some difference with 2 different OS's?

Also if you Export (to Superstar) does it create a in the LOR/Import/Export dir? I know I downloaded within minutes of seeing your post, so I would doubt it's a different version.

Alan...

I tried the export to SS. I then tried to bring that file into SS as a visualizer file. Didn't work. Couldn't find a place in the new SS that would work with that file.

Yes, it was on an XP computer. I will be loading S5 on my Win7 laptop in a couple hours, so we'll see what it looks like there.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

nasa1952 said

Yes you can layer PE effect over SS I just finished a sequence in PE. You can also create a SS sequence export as LMS. Then create a new musical sequence with your controller configuration and save it. Open that file in PE, Open the SS file you exported to create the LMS file in PE also. As long as the prop is the same in both SE And PE yo
Can use the migration tool in PE to bring The SS sequence in. You will get another screen to select the prop. My prop in PE is called CCR Tree. The same name as in SE. You check it in the box nd it will bring the complete file into the PE grid. If you click it and open the effects you will see it is a movie AVI format and you can also see the file location. At this point you can now create another effect pin wheel butterfly or curtain an insert it on the line under the SS file you migrated in. You can also do more as long as you have a SS license. I hope this helps and not confused anyone.

Umm, are you taking about doing this in S5 beta? If so where did you find the migration tool within SE?

Alan...

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, it was on an XP computer. I will be loading S5 on my Win7 laptop in a couple hours, so we'll see what it looks like there.

Loaded S5 on this Win 7 laptop.  There is a substantial difference in appearance between the two installations, however the Import and Export are the same as they were on the XP computer.

i used to be able to do this easily in S4, no longer in S5, I export in legacy and only some of the data comes over to SE. Cant figure this out. All my channels are right being nothing changed from when it was working