Light-O-Rama Forums

Trouble planning show

Kathy Gizzi

I am done all of my sequencing and have saved my sequences in a folder of their own on my desktop.  I am trying to create a show.  However, when I go to choose my musical sequences, the folder is empty.  What am I doing wrong?  The tutorial doesn't seem to be much help here.  They are all .lms files........am I missing a step or something?

Thanks in advance all!

Edited by Kathy Gizzi

At the top of the show editor window, click on the musical tab. It defaults to animation  .LAS files, so the .LMS files won't be seen.

Are you using the Simple Show Builder or the Show Editor?  If you are using the SSB, all the files MUST be in the LOR default locations.

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Are you using the Simple Show Builder or the Show Editor?  If you are using the SSB, all the files MUST be in the LOR default locations.

No, I am not using the simple show builder.

9 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

At the top of the show editor window, click on the musical tab. It defaults to animation  .LAS files, so the .LMS files won't be seen.

Yup-did that, and I still can't find them.

Since you said you are NOT using the Simple show Builder, I therefore assume you are using the LOR Show Editor.  Or are you using the Hardware Utility in order to build a show on a SD card for a director?

Assuming you are using the Show Editor, follow these steps.

1)  Open the Show Editor

2)  Click the Musical tab

3)  Click the big Plus sign

That should bring up a standard Windows file list.  If the folder is not correct, use the standard Windows buttons and dropdown to select the correct folder.  You should see your sequences.  You can select one (or more) sequences and click on Open.

If this does not help, I can do screen captures.  If you are using the HU to create a show for a director, someone who uses a director will have to help - I have always run my show from a computer.

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Since you said you are NOT using the Simple show Builder, I therefore assume you are using the LOR Show Editor.  Or are you using the Hardware Utility in order to build a show on a SD card for a director?

1)  Open the Show Editor

That should bring up a standard Windows file list.  If the folder is not correct, use the standard Windows buttons and dropdown to select the correct folder.  You should see your sequences.  You can select one (or more) sequences and click on Open.

If this does not help, I can do screen captures.  If you are using the HU to create a show for a director, someone who uses a director will have to help - I have always run my show from a computer.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing.  The first screen cap above it what shows in the same folder when I hit the plus sign.  The second cap is what is actually in the folder when I open it from the desktop.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

1)  Open the Show Editor

Jim,

I am using it straight from my computer-not an SD card.

Kathy, you posted your screen captures while I was typing my last message.  Looking at your second screen capture, there are only two .lms files there, so Show Editor is correctly showing the .lms files.  You have the .lcs files for a couple additional songs, but the Show Editor is looking for the .lms files (or .las for animation sequences).  The .lsv files are not sequence files so they don't show (longer answer if desired).

Edited by k6ccc

Not sure what happened to them all-but it appears as though I've lost them all.  Working on redoing them all now.  Just did a test and it was there, so I might be all set!  Thanks Jim!

Although the show player will create the compressed files (the .lcs files) - as will Sequence Editor if set to do so, or the Sequence Compressor - you will ALWAYS want to keep the .lms (or .las for animations) files as those are the only ones you can later edit.  From your last sentence, can I gather that the files wee somewhere else?

I use multiple directories for my files, I have directories set for Halloween, Christmas, and then there are even subdirectories for different genres under these or used for other classification, such as Rock, Heavy Metal, Easy Listening or Movie-TV Themes, Horror Themes, etc.    I just open the show editor, click on the plus and then click on the folder where the file{s} I'm looking for will be used, some of my shows use files from several different directories.   So if you saved your files in other directories and didn't just use the LOR defaults{I don't}, you need to browse to the directory where the file{s} is/are located, then highlight the file and click on the + to add it to your show.  I do this all the time, since I like to keep my files in a wide assortment of directories so I know where to find exactly what I'm looking for for any given holiday or musical score {or animation file}.

Hope I explained that correctly, but that looks to be right in the way I locate and add my files to a show from a computer based show.

I also have different directories for each year and holiday. After a few years, the shear number of files gets too darn big to be easy to work with if all the files were in the same default locations. No problems using the Show Editor as you can specify any file location. However that won't work if you are using the Simple Show Builder. With SSB, the files must be in the default locations (so I've read - never used SSB).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 3:24 PM, k6ccc said:

I also have different directories for each year and holiday. After a few years, the shear number of files gets too darn big to be easy to work with if all the files were in the same default locations. No problems using the Show Editor as you can specify any file location. However that won't work if you are using the Simple Show Builder. With SSB, the files must be in the default locations (so I've read - never used SSB).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

You're absolutely right, the SSB is EXTREMELY limited not only in the file location, all files MUST be in the "default" directory as you stated using the SSB, but even show times are not as flexible as they are in the Show Editor, even the MP3 Director units give a lot more flexibility through the Hardware Utility with show times and spanning over multiple directories than the SSB can do.     Honestly, I don't really see a real need or reason for the SSB because of its limitations, if it wasn't there, I wouldn't even notice because I never use it because of these limitations within it.   But that's just my preference, your usage may differ greatly.

Edited by Orville

On 7/22/2017 at 0:39 PM, Orville said:

Honestly, I don't really see a real need or reason for the SSB because of its limitations, if it wasn't there, I wouldn't even notice because I never use it because of these limitations within it.   But that's just my preference, your usage may differ greatly.

SSB is there because many of our customers do not need all the advanced settings that Show Builder, Show Scheduler, or the MP3 tab of Hardware Utility provide.  For those people, we wanted to give them a simple way to get their sequences into a show with a minimum of input.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:33 AM, DevMike said:

SSB is there because many of our customers do not need all the advanced settings that Show Builder, Show Scheduler, or the MP3 tab of Hardware Utility provide.  For those people, we wanted to give them a simple way to get their sequences into a show with a minimum of input.

Understand that DevMike.  Just saying I wouldn't miss it because I don't want to have multiple sequences from all over the place in one single directory that the SSB requires.

I personally think{and I think a lot of others here may agree} the SSB should have had at least the capability to span "multiple" directories, I think that would have prevented a lot of folks from getting flustered/aggravated with it because they weren't understanding all the sequences have to be in one default{LOR Default} directory and is why they couldn't find their sequences to add into the SSB.  

I was surprised the first time I tried to use it{SSB} and then finally figured out why I couldn't get access to my sequences all within their own specialized directories, and then when I moved them all into the LOR Default Sequences  directory, that was more of a mess than I cared for.   Again, just my preference, others mileage may differ.

Edited by Orville