Light-O-Rama Forums

sequences

Jeffery m

Hi all have a question I have sequences that are in a saved show but I have done some modifications to them since saving them  so do I have to take those songs out of my saved show and add the modified versions or will the new versions play automatically Thanks Jeffery

If you saved over the old versions of the sequences using the same file names and locations, they should play automatically. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they will as Todd stated.   As long as they are in the same location that the show was originally looking for them, any modifications or changes will always play them, but they must keep the same EXACT filename, if the name is changed, then you have to delete and re-add them.   But modifying and keeping the same exact name, they will play normally in your show and no changes have to be made to your show.

I don't know this, but a couple IFs. If you use compressed sequences, and if you don't create a new compressed sequence, it may not. Speculating here that the show player would see the same filename, but not know that the un-compressed had been modified, and just go ahead and play the old compressed sequence. Maybe the show player is smart enough to know better.
Note that if you are using intensity files, updating the Intensity files in the middle of a playing show works fine as long as that sequence is not playing at the time you save the revision, and the revised version is what will play next time that song is played.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

Jim, I believe you are correct, the compressed file and lms BOTH must be updated, when I update my lms file, I also first delete the accompanying  compressed sequence file, which I think has the extension of lcs if I recall correctly.   That way when I edit and resave the new lms file, a new matching compresses sequence is also created and saved too.   If you don't delete the compressed sequence and just edit the lms and use compressed sequences and a new compressed sequence didn't get generated, and using compressed sequences it will play the "unmodified one", had that happen a couple years ago to me, even though I had a new lms sequence, when saved it didn't create a newer lcs compressed sequence, so the new sequence didn't play.   I had to delete the lcs file and then reload and resave the revised lms to create the new working sequence before the changes went into effect.

Thanks for bringing this up, because I had forgotten about it until I read your post!

In S4 the show player will always create a compressed sequence file, if it does not already exist, if Use Compressed Sequences is checked,

It will also recreate the compressed file if the original LMS file has been updated. You can  see when this  happens in the Status monitor window.

I never manually save a compressed file, I just let the show player create or update it the first time through.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:17 PM, k6ccc said:

I don't know this, but a couple IFs. If you use compressed sequences, and if you don't create a new compressed sequence, it may not. Speculating here that the show player would see the same filename, but not know that the un-compressed had been modified, and just go ahead and play the old compressed sequence. Maybe the show player is smart enough to know better.
Note that if you are using intensity files, updating the Intensity files in the middle of a playing show works fine as long as that sequence is not playing at the time you save the revision, and the revised version is what will play next time that song is played.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

I have been bitten by this one as recently as last year, made changes, moved to show computer, use compressed sequences, not replaced.  quick fix was to delete the compressed sequences then it made a new compressed sequence from my modified one.

1 hour ago, caniac said:

I have been bitten by this one as recently as last year, made changes, moved to show computer, use compressed sequences, not replaced.  quick fix was to delete the compressed sequences then it made a new compressed sequence from my modified one.

Actually, you don't need to delete the old one.  When you create a new compressed sequence, providing the sequence name (and/or file pathway) hasn't been changed AT ALL, it will automatically replace the existing compressed sequence.  This change will not be picked up by the Show Player if it's currently playing the show containing the sequence, but it will be picked up the next time the Show Player loads a show with that sequence.

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

Actually, you don't need to delete the old one.  When you create a new compressed sequence, providing the sequence name (and/or file pathway) hasn't been changed AT ALL, it will automatically replace the existing compressed sequence.  This change will not be picked up by the Show Player if it's currently playing the show containing the sequence, but it will be picked up the next time the Show Player loads a show with that sequence.

last season that didn't work, show would still play the old version.  had to delete the compressed sequence in addition to overwriting the .lms.  Prior seasons what you suggested worked.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:00 AM, caniac said:

last season that didn't work, show would still play the old version.  had to delete the compressed sequence in addition to overwriting the .lms.  Prior seasons what you suggested worked.

I'm not doubting what you report, but it doesn't make any sense to me why that would be.  I DO have to create a new compressed sequence whenever I make changes to the sequence itself or else the Show Player will continue to play the old one, but I've never had to manually delete a compressed sequence.  When I create a new one it has always just over-written the existing one.  Maybe you need to open a help ticket and have someone from LOR work through that issue with you.

Edited by George Simmons

2 hours ago, George Simmons said:

I'm not doubting what you report, but it doesn't make any sense to me why that would be.  I DO have to create a new compressed sequence whenever I make changes to the sequence itself or else the Show Player will continue to play the old one, but I've never had to manually delete a compressed sequence.  When I create a new one it has always just over-written the existing one.  Maybe you need to open a help ticket and have someone from LOR work through that issue with you.

Don't know George, but I have never had the SE rewrite a new compressed sequence on a first update/change to the original sequence .lms file.   One time I deleted the compressed sequence manually, changed the original .lms file {and yes, create compressed or use compressed sequences was checked to create them}, but a new compressed sequence didn't get created when I saved the changed sequence, I went and looked, nope, no compressed sequence, had to close the .lms, reload it a second time, then save it a second time, and then the compressed sequence was created.   I thought that was strange, but just checked it off as maybe that's the way it works, either that or my computer has something causing the SE not to recreate a missing or deleted compressed sequence file on making changes or updates to the .lms sequence.    I can't explain it, but it happens all the time and this happens on not one, but 3 different computers I'm using the SE on, all running Windows 7 Home Edition.

Edited by Orville

On 7/22/2017 at 1:03 PM, PhilMassey said:

In S4 the show player will always create a compressed sequence file, if it does not already exist, if Use Compressed Sequences is checked,

It will also recreate the compressed file if the original LMS file has been updated. You can  see when this  happens in the Status monitor window.

I never manually save a compressed file, I just let the show player create or update it the first time through.

You don't save compressed sequences, they are created only if that option is checked in the SE, however, when updating an existing .lms file, I've had to manually delete the compressed sequence, then resave it not once, but twice before it recreated a new compressed sequence.  See my other post above this one that explains this{as it pertains to me, possibly others}..

Edited by Orville

In SE 4.3.18 there IS an Export as compressed option in the file menu.

Yes you can have SE create a Compressed sequence every time it saves, but this greatly slows down the save.

Show player checks to see if the LMS has changed and if so,recreates the compressed sequence on the fly. Adds a few seconds to the show the first time through.

I play shows almost every day and you can watch the process in the status monitor.;

33 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

In SE 4.3.18 there IS an Export as compressed option in the file menu.

And that's what I use.  I might make changes to one or more sequences (tweaking/fixing something, changing channel assignments) a dozen times during setup/lighting season.  Each time, I save the changes and then use the Export as Compressed file menu option.  This has always resulted in the newly-created compressed sequence replacing the previous version.  I've never seen it fail. 

If I do this while the Show Player is running, the previous version of the compressed sequence will continue to be played until the current show ends.  Restarting the current show (or starting a different show) will force the newly-compressed sequence to be used.

The Use Compressed Sequences option in the LOR Control Panel tells the Show Player whether to use the .lms version or the .lcs version of the sequence.  If there's already a compressed version in the sequence directory, that is what will be used.  If there is none, then as Phil explained the Show Player will create one the first time through the playlist.  Phil was being kind saying it adds a "few seconds" to the time between sequences.  I've seen it take 15 seconds on some of my longer sequences, and when you're standing outside waiting for the next song that feels like a lifetime.