Light-O-Rama Forums

Testers please Guest input to show

ItsMeBobO

I am very excited to present my first draft of a new guest interaction tool.    This will let the display guest submit a message to be shown on a matrix.  

You can test the software at  ThatChristmasLightsHouse.com     Select  'Send a message to the board'      The code to show you are present at the display is H2Z.  

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1

Sounds good and all but I'm thinking some teenager is going to have a field day posting messages that well......you know what I mean, not so family friendly.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

No way.  This is G rated. :o

There are a number of safegaurds, but i am feeling like my audience is tame.  The database will capture the letters submitted , examine and change them before building.  It knows the IP which cam be banned.  Plus you need to know the changing code so you must be present to submit a message.  Normally a desktop will be blocked but its open for you guys.  I intend to prevent pranks where i am able.  I could approve each message if i wanted to but dont think i need to right now.  

FYI... I do have (at least I think I have) a profanity filter file around here somewhere if you want it.

10 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

You can test the software at  ThatChristmasLightsHouse.com     Select  'Send a message to the board'      The code to show you are present at the display is H2Z.  

When I try this link, it forwards directly to your miip.mobi page which does not have the link to "Send a message to the board" (unless I'm blind).

Looks like the gen agent is down.  Should reply in 5 to 15 seconds.    Will you marry me broke it.  

21 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Looks like the gen agent is down.  Should reply in 5 to 15 seconds.    Will you marry me broke it.  

I was beginning to wonder how long it should take since after a half hour is was still generating the message.  Fortunately my marriage to Karene is working better than the message generator - we recently enjoyed our 27th anniversary.

Takes awhile to generate. Is it due to overwhelming inputs? It is very cool though.

Sent from my house using 2 cans and a string[emoji41]

30 minutes ago, service call said:

Takes awhile to generate. Is it due to overwhelming inputs? It is very cool though.

Sent from my house using 2 cans and a stringemoji41.png

The most it should take is 15 seconds.  I have it set right now to wake up every 10 seconds.    Thanks everyone for testing.  I see I have several things to adjust. 

Bob~ is this going to be added to the MIIP for our displays or just yours? I really need to start adding to my MIIP account before its too late.

JR

There are some shared components with MIIP but it is a separate program.   While anyone with 6 or more songs could use miip,  the scroller requires special equipment.   My implementation will include two show computers.  I hope to have two instances of LOR running.   One playing the regular show. It will send messages to the second show computer which will have just one matrix in its config for its exclusive use.   When a song starts it will trigger the scroller to play the animation message (LAS no sound)  for the name of the song.  Much like RDS would work.   Then it will play a message saying the code H2Z or whatever it is at that time which is required for someone present to see it to submit a message.  Then it will play any guest submitted message.   Depending on how busy the queue is,  the song name could repeat or a guest message could repeat.  The messages will vary from 10 to 30 seconds so its hard to guess how many can play during one song but my goal is to have every moment scrolling something relevant to the playing song or present guests.  I wont play a guest message more than 10 minutes old because they could be gone.    

Right now I think it would not work to use the background sequence options LOR provides to share the channels.  LMS playing the regular sequence and LAS playing a message.  The backgrounds can not be changed while a LMS is playing.  All that blather to say that I dont expect many people to be able to use this.  And I dont expect the software will be out of beta until I have it running on my own show. 

19 hours ago, DevMike said:

FYI... I do have (at least I think I have) a profanity filter file around here somewhere if you want it.

Thanks Mike I will take a look at it.   I was reading last night about clbuttic which presented many arguments about how futile it is to try and stop profanity.   I dont want to challenge guests to defeat the filter by being too restrictive. Maybe a simple word replacement is all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked