Light-O-Rama Forums

How many dmx channels can LOR safly run?

John (oldandslow)

I want to run approximately 90,000 channels of dmx. Can LOR handle these many channels without lag?

That's almost 180 universes (maybe more than that depending on layout).  That's a LOT!  Can I assume that will be all or at mostly E1.31?  I have no specific idea if the LOR software will handle that, but I would not consider that unless running as intensity files.  Otherwise the CPU load to calculate the real time levels for that many channels would be quite large. Another thing to keep in mind is although 180 universes would in theory run over a single 100 base-T LAN interface, I would much prefer to run that one interface at gigabit - at least until the first switch (provided that there were multiple paths from that first switch to the various controllers).  If gigabit is not an option, you could have multiple 100 base-T LAN connections on the PC feeding different LANs with the E1.31 controllers divided between the multiple LANs.

I am going to run a 49 p-10 panels plus all of the other pixels that I now run. 3 different people have said not to do it in LOR because it would bog down.

Yes it's e1.31. I do the pixels in xlights and then import them to LOR because 1 I don't like the all or nothing with the Pixel editor and  2 I have run LOR for 6 years and keep adding on to it.

I guess I have to switch everything over to Xlights  UGH !

Thanks for the reply

John

That is an order of magnitude (and then some) more channels than I'm running, so I am certainly NOT the expert here.  Based on what I saw with my own stuff, I would think you MAY be able to make it work IF (and only IF) you can run it as intensity files.  I doubt I would even try it without intensity files.  That means either Pixel Editor or SuperStar.  In my case, I do everything in SuperStar.  That number of channels is far larger than the highest SuperStar license, so that would be an issue.  As for Pixel Editor, I can't really comment as I have never been able to get Pixel Editor to do anything useful (although I have essentially not touched it since the S4 beta over two years ago).  How all that changes with S5 is known only to people other than me.

After paying for the upgrade for the pixel editor I was disappointed to say the lease. You have always helped me on these boards to which I am grateful. Thank you. Perhaps one day you will go into the p-10 panels and I can return the favor and help you.

John