Light-O-Rama Forums

White Twinkle - Twinkle dumb RGB and DMX

bdwillie

OK Guys, gotta question.  Have been reading and digesting, and have gotten off to a good start, but now I have a question I can't figure out.  Using some dumb RGB's I need them to twinkle white.  If I use the tinkle command on the top row of the DMX RGB channel in sequencer, I get multi color twinkle out of the dumb RGB strip.  I understand why, the three colors of the RGB are randomly twinkling, providing random color.  How can I make it twinkle just white, I.E. all three colors twinkle togather to get white twinkle?  Is there a command I am missing? Or is this not possible due to being dumb strips  So far, I have figured out enough to almost get the hang of dumb pixels, but this has me flummoxed. 

Thanks in advance!

Twinkle with dumb RGB uses the different colors since the entire string lights up. If you want just white then that would be the equivalent of a shimmer. There really is no good way to make a solid color twinkle with dumb RGB.

• Like 1

As far as I know, the only way to do that is to manually turn all three channels on and off at somewhat random intervals.  I've done that with smart pixel strips were I needed groups of 12 pixels to behave the same in what appears to be a twinkle.  Making RGB "twinkle" all white would be the same process, but easier since you only need white.

Same issue regardless if it's smart or dumb RGB, BTW.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Twinkle with dumb RGB uses the different colors since the entire string lights up. If you want just white then that would be the equivalent of a shimmer. There really is no good way to make a solid color twinkle with dumb RGB.

Didn't think to use shimmer,  That'l work!!  Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

As far as I know, the only way to do that is to manually turn all three channels on and off at somewhat random intervals.

That's what I was afraid of!  Thanks!!

Just now, bdwillie said:

That's what I was afraid of!  Thanks!!

It's not that hard to do unless you have A LOT of channels that need to look different for quite a while.  If that is the case, copy and paste would be your friend.  For example, take one RGB channel set and manually make on/off command for 10 to 20 seconds.  For a twinkle effect, you are looking at an average of maybe one to two on/off cycles per second (some longer, some shorter), so making 20 seconds worth should take about a minute to do.  Then copy parts of that 20 seconds and paste to other channel sets, but not at the same time.  So for example, what was time 05 - 10, becomes 00 - 05 on a second RGB channel set, and 10 - 15 on another, etc.  Copy and paste several second blocks semi-randomly, and no one will ever notice that you really only have 20 seconds of sequencing.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

It's not that hard to do unless you have A LOT of channels that need to look different for quite a while.  If that is the case, copy and paste would be your friend.  For example, take one RGB channel set and manually make on/off command for 10 to 20 seconds.  For a twinkle effect, you are looking at an average of maybe one to two on/off cycles per second (some longer, some shorter), so making 20 seconds worth should take about a minute to do.  Then copy parts of that 20 seconds and paste to other channel sets, but not at the same time.  So for example, what was time 05 - 10, becomes 00 - 05 on a second RGB channel set, and 10 - 15 on another, etc.  Copy and paste several second blocks semi-randomly, and no one will ever notice that you really only have 20 seconds of sequencing.

Cool!  Will give it a try tomorrow!  Just wanted a twinkle for approx. 10 seconds. Keep ya posted!

36 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

Cool!  Will give it a try tomorrow!  Just wanted a twinkle for approx. 10 seconds. Keep ya posted!

Are you sequencing in Sequence Editor, Superstar, or Pixel Editor?  If it's one of the first two, I can send you an extract from the song where I did similar to what you re trying to do.  Except mine was intended to be RGB twinkle, but with groups of adjacent pixels.

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Are you sequencing in Sequence Editor, Superstar, or Pixel Editor?  If it's one of the first two, I can send you an extract from the song where I did similar to what you re trying to do.  Except mine was intended to be RGB twinkle, but with groups of adjacent pixels.

That would be awesome and greatly appreciated!  my email is bdwillie@att.net.  look forward to trying it.  I did try the shimmer and it wasn't quite what I was trying to get.  Have a safe 4th, fixing to hit the road for the morning!

It will be Wednesday something before I can send you an extract as I'm about to leave the house to start setup for the professional fireworks show I work on.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

• Like 1

It will be Wednesday something before I can send you an extract as I'm about to leave the house to start setup for the professional fireworks show I work on.

That would be most excellent! Have fun with your fireworks!

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk

Fun is a good thing, but when working with hundreds of pounds of explosives, be safe is FAR more important! The plan is to both have fun AND be safe.
The hard physical stuff is completed. Taking a bit of a break before starting to wire up the shells. Show shoots in six hours, eight minutes from now as I type this.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

• Like 1

• The topic was locked