Light-O-Rama Forums

RBL's

caniac

anyone else worked on these?  Have built five using rectangle RGB's.   Seems like any combination of three works fine but when I link more than that together things get wonky, thoughts before I tear them down trying to trace a short or three.

Not sure where to start ...

Does RGB mean dumb RGB nodes or smart pixels?

Please define "wonky".

When you say linking more than three are you referring to the number of rectangular nodes per RBL or the number of RBLs in series.

I made mine with one round WS2811 pixel in each RBL, and have strung 19 RBLs together on one controller output covering 80+ linear feet with no issues at all.

20 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Please define "wonky".

When you say linking more than three are you referring to the number of rectangular nodes per RBL or the number of RBLs in series.

I made mine with one round WS2811 pixel in each RBL, and have strung 19 RBLs together on one controller output covering 80+ linear feet with no issues at all.

smart pixels, the only dumb node in my display is me.  Wonky means you plug in one additional RBL and it doesn't work, then another and they all spazz, and another and they all turn red.  The three comment means the first three in the series.  There are four rectangles smart nodes per RBL, Male and female waterproof connectors.  Just wondering if it is an issues with the rectangle nodes, these were cannibalized from last years Halloween display.

.... the only dumb node in my display is me.....

Good morning Chet. Great read to wake up to. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first thought would be a wiring error. Try this. Mark each RBL with the current order. Then change up the order and see if the problem persists, and if it moves. For example, does the problem always happen when any 4th RBL is added, or is #4 a problem (no matter where in the string it is).
The all red makes me wonder about a power supply issue.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

51 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

My first thought would be a wiring error. Try this. Mark each RBL with the current order. Then change up the order and see if the problem persists, and if it moves. For example, does the problem always happen when any 4th RBL is added, or is #4 a problem (no matter where in the string it is).
The all red makes me wonder about a power supply issue.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

Power Supply issue off the one output?

23 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Please define "wonky".

One 12mm bullet per RBL?  How did you go from RBL to RBL?  Could my issues be the waterproof connectors?  Pics of the inside of your RBL?

Edited by caniac

5 hours ago, caniac said:

One 12mm bullet per RBL?  How did you go from RBL to RBL?  Could my issues be the waterproof connectors?  Pics of the inside of your RBL?

The pixels are WS2811 40mm 6-LED round pixels from Ray Wu.  One in each RBL gives the exact amount of brightness I was looking for. 

From the controller to the first RBL, and between RBLs, I used standard-issue male and female pigtails.  (DIY LED Express) 

Your issue(s) could be practically any connection.  Check each one separately, as described by Jim above.  Make sure the data flows in the correct direction through each pixel.  Good idea to also slap a voltmeter on the power supply to see exactly how much juice it's providing.

Here's a link to pics.  One shows the pixel and how it's attached to the RBL, one shows the bottom of the pixel and how the wiring is secured for strain relief, and one shows how I weatherproofed mine.  I'll be mounting them hanging down.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/obh3hgon11fqw23/AAAX0uOvpQDtwl591wV-9OQWa?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

my situation may require null pixels, is there a source for those pre-made or am I destined to burn myself with a soldering iron - again! :)

Ray will sells null pixels. As for soldering just use the pre soldered butt connectors and a heat gun, lighter or wjatebec