Light-O-Rama Forums

Input Connector For Trigger

Protege94

I am thinking about building a podium style show switch to use on the night of Thanksgiving when I start my show. My question is, does the input connector for the gen 3 controller have any limitations on the length of the wire coming from the input connector to the button itself? Or should the controller with the connector be as close to the button as possible?

I am only going to use the trigger button for the first night and then I will run my show using a normal scheduled time.

I might add, twisted pair is a good idea for better noise rejection. A shield, tied to Green wire ground (not the logic / psu negative) is better

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I might add, twisted pair is a good idea for better noise rejection. A shield, tied to Green wire ground (not the logic / psu negative) is better

Not necessarily a bad idea, but overkill.  Unless you are running thousands of feet of cable or right through the middle of an electrical substation, or the ground plain for an AM broadcast station, even plain old zip cord is simply not going to pick up enough noise to matter.  Cat-5 cable is so easily available (and cheaper than zip cord) that it is a good choice and that of course is twisted.  I would NOT go the the expense of shielded cable (even if I was right next to an AM broadcast station).  Just running twisted pair will eliminate the vast majority of electrical interference from a long cable run.

As an aside, to give you an idea how effective going to twisted pair is for noise immunity, for 2014, I ran the audio from my show computer to the FM transmitter as balanced lines through unshielded Cat-5 cable for just over 200 feet  Most of that was in the same conduit as computer LAN, LOR network, and another type of low speed network.  There was NO observable noise pickup - and I have worked as a broadcast engineer so I tend to be VERY particular about audio quality.