Light-O-Rama Forums

House Outline

namecipS

I am starting to organize my display items for this years show.  The past few years I've outlined my house with single strands of multi-color C6's supported via plastic(pvc) J channel.  This year I've switched to 4 strands made up of Red, Green, Blue and White C6's. The strands are zip tied together and won't really fit in to a J channel.   I'm struggling trying to figure out the best way to attach the new strands to the house.

Figured this would be a great place to start looking for suggestions.  I appreciate any help or guidance anyone can give me.

This be my first year for this. I went a bought The RGB Pixel Strawberry C9 Bulb. So I wouldn't have to run different strands of lights. 

Just now, namecipS said:

I am starting to organize my display items for this years show.  The past few years I've outlined my house with single strands of multi-color C6's supported via plastic(pvc) J channel.  This year I've switched to 4 strands made up of Red, Green, Blue and White C6's. The strands are zip tied together and won't really fit in to a J channel.   I'm struggling trying to figure out the best way to attach the new strands to the house.

Figured this would be a great place to start looking for suggestions.  I appreciate any help or guidance anyone can give me.

zip tie the super strands to the j channel if they will hold the weight, 

I use the c6 icicle lights in red green and white and zip tie them to shingle clips every few few and have had no issues.

I've seen many use binder clips to gutters &/or directly to shingles. Works great. Think they're cheaper at Sams, but linking HD so to be sure you know what I'm talking about.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-Medium-Black-Binder-Clip-25-per-Pack-66187/205386819?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-D25H-Hardware%7C&gclid=CJqLlq-A39QCFQOBaQodNi8P2g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Both Eric and Dan suggestions are good. 

I can tell you that the c-s zip tied together start to get a little heavy on the gutters esp if you have a down pour. I had one gutter spike pull completely out last year along with the 2x6 it was attached to. Builders design flaw or that part of the house was built on Friday or Monday.

FWIW- I have 5 colors of C7's/ C9s zip tied. In the sectioned mentioned above it's where all strands on roof line intersect and come downward toward the controllers. Makes a lot of extra weight on that corner.

JR

• Like 1

.....part of the house was built on Friday or Monday..... JR

No doubt & I blew my morning coffee as snot-rockets reading it.....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

No doubt & I blew my morning coffee as snot-rockets reading it.....

Glad I could help you with your morning sinus issues. :) 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

I've seen many use binder clips to gutters &/or directly to shingles. Works great. Think they're cheaper at Sams, but linking HD so to be sure you know what I'm talking about.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-Medium-Black-Binder-Clip-25-per-Pack-66187/205386819?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-D25H-Hardware%7C&gclid=CJqLlq-A39QCFQOBaQodNi8P2g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, for those "RED, WHITE & BLUE + Green lights you have,

Use the binders Mega Arch mentioned. I've been using those for years for attaching to shingles and gutters. A snap to put up and even faster for taking down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

Yes, for those "RED, WHITE & BLUE + Green lights you have,

Use the binders Mega Arch mentioned. I've been using those for years for attaching to shingles and gutters. A snap to put up and even faster for taking down.

Tom even with all of those you had "hanging" around it took Dan and I forever to find one not being used at the mini. LOL

JR

So, not going to lie... I'm glad I clicked on this thread and read through it. I am really glad to have found out about the binder clips. I had never thought of that, and it will save me a LOT of heartache this Christmas season!! Thanks for the tip! 

22 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

So, not going to lie... I'm glad I clicked on this thread and read through it. I am really glad to have found out about the binder clips. I had never thought of that, and it will save me a LOT of heartache this Christmas season!! Thanks for the tip! 

I will add, they hold up very well to ice, wind and blizzards yet still come down really easy with a slight tug. You can even clip them on the "hip" of your shingle roof. They grab the shingles nicely but don't cause damage. When taking down the lights, just leave the binder clips on the strands and they'll be there and in the correct place for the next season.

I also mount my strobes this way.

I'll try to remember to post of pic or two.

• Like 1

I've been using the binder clips for the last few years and they do work great. But I'm looking asst a faster way myself. It takes me a day or two to outline my house. I thought about zip tieing my C9's to either pvc or I saw someone had then attached to metal conduit so it was rigid. They put them up from the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jfelix said:

I've been using the binder clips for the last few years and they do work great. But I'm looking asst a faster way myself. It takes me a day or two to outline my house. I thought about zip tieing my C9's to either pvc or I saw someone had then attached to metal conduit so it was rigid. They put them up from the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I do this with my singing faces and plan on doing with roof lights.

i rented a JLG 100' lift. Drilled holes in my brick and inserted a nylon bushing similar to those that are used to put anchors in dry wall. I then put large eye bolts in the holes.

Took some parachord and run through the eyebolt so that both ends reach the ground. Yes it is long but I like the wiggle room. I use the extra chord to help keep the lights off the wall as it is pulled up. The chord can be used to go on the back of the frame and allows to pull the frame away from the wall. Mostly used to get over window ledges 

put eye bolts in the wood frames for the singing faces. If I have help we both pull up one end of the frame until desired height. 

I then tie them off to eye bolts I place ebout chest level.

i will be using EMT conduit in the same fashion to lift the outline lights the 50' to top.

I also will

use a similar technique to get my 22' pixel tree up but I will run rope over the house from my back deck. This should be a chore unless I come up with a better method.

JR