Light-O-Rama Forums

Tombstones

caniac

Chet- I use the 3" Pink Insulation Foam from Lowes/ HD, If you do a little extra carving before painting black/ grey the bleed through makes some cool looking effects.

I will text you a pic of some of mine. They hold up very well, not like those little foam ones. Plus you can make them as big as you want/ need.

JR

There are tons of videos on youtube on making tombstone. I been watching all day. 

6 hours ago, caniac said:

anyone done these using molds and concrete?  thoughts?

HEAVY,

Where are you planning in storing these at the end of the season? 

12 hours ago, Mr. P said:

He is from Nebraska, lots of tornadoes, maybe he is looking for something heavy.  :D

exactly, not as many as Kansas and Oklahoma though.  I have worked with different variations of styrofoam over the years but out here the winds are brutal and they just get shredded.  After we moved out here the sister-in-law took it upon herself to get rid of most of our Halloween stuff we left behind (our daughter is living in our house).  we had nice concrete ones we found at Michaels that are no longer there.  thought I could try and make some and give them a more "customized" and "weathered" look.

54 minutes ago, caniac said:

exactly, not as many as Kansas and Oklahoma though.  I have worked with different variations of styrofoam over the years but out here the winds are brutal and they just get shredded.  After we moved out here the sister-in-law took it upon herself to get rid of most of our Halloween stuff we left behind (our daughter is living in our house).  we had nice concrete ones we found at Michaels that are no longer there.  thought I could try and make some and give them a more "customized" and "weathered" look.

That sister-in-law would be in time-out for a very long time if she did that to me. LOL :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

That sister-in-law would be in time-out for a very long time if she did that to me. LOL :) 

If only it was that simple, this one has more issues than could be covered in a reasonable time on this forum.  Right now I am fuming because our pressure washer she apparently loaned out because when I went to use it a few weeks ago it was blowing water from everywhere it was not suppose to be.  It's electric so it also tripped half the circuits at the house.  I don't understand the mentality of folks that trash your stuff and then put it back like nothing happened.

• Like 1

If you end up going the concrete route i'd look for "Light Weight Concrete". It is often used in houses on 2nd floor as a flooring substrate for sound dampening etc. It is a bit lighter than standard aggregates, it's self leveling, stronger thinner due to additives and generally easier to work with. It would still be heavy enough at a couple of inches thick not to get blown around. You could get away with using plastic landscape bender board to make a form without releasing agents. That's what I've used on stair treads for forms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk