Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Connectors

Little_b

Sorry to start another thread on this, but all the pixel strands I bought this year came with this type of connector-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50set-3PIN-JST-RGB-Connector-Cable-M-F-For-WS2811-WS2812B-LED-Strip-Pixel-Bar-/371013354771?hash=item56621e8513:g:lFgAAOxy0NtTCcOp

Has anyone used just these and had any success or issues?  I'm thinking where I should be fine under fine under the eaves where they are more protected from the elements, but I also have some out in the yard that would be exposed that have me thinking I may run into some shorting problems.  Let me know your opinion.

Thanks,

I cut them off and change out to the ones I purchased from Ray Wu. There are some things you can probably do to water proof those factory connectors but I cant guarantee.

HC and other vendors also sell waterproof connectors/pigtails/extensions and has some great tutorials on youtube

1) Encase the connectors in silicone.

2) Use Marine grade heat shrink tubing

3) Both of the above in combination.

JR

I keep the JST connectors on my pixels and I haven't had any issues with them over the last four years that I have been using pixels.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I keep the JST connectors on my pixels and I haven't had any issues with them over the last four years that I have been using pixels.

Even with all of the bare wires and ends showing or do you do something to protect them?

Mine were all like the OP's and you can see the brass connectors on each wire inside the JST connector (where the wire feeds into the connector itself) and the bottom of the JST connectors have the metal showing. I aired on the side of caution due to rain etc, and changed them all over to WP connectors. I still have to build more props so this would be welcome news, save time and $.

JR

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Even with all of the bare wires and ends showing or do you do something to protect them?

Mine were all like the OP's and you can see the brass connectors on each wire inside the JST connector (where the wire feeds into the connector itself) and the bottom of the JST connectors have the metal showing. I aired on the side of caution due to rain etc, and changed them all over to WP connectors. I still have to build more props so this would be welcome news, save time and $.

JR

Once you snap the ends together there are no clips showing.

I always hang them so they are never on the ground and they never rest in water. My 16 ribbon tree has the JST connectors on the ends and so do most of my other pixel strings, I don't have one waterproof cable in my display as all my wiring is the three  pin RGB wiring with connectors soldered on the ends coming out of 14 E1.31 controllers.

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Once you snap the ends together there are no clips showing.

I always hang them so they are never on the ground and they never rest in water. My 16 ribbon tree has the JST connectors on the ends and so do most of my other pixel strings, I don't have one waterproof cable in my display as all my wiring is the three  pin RGB wiring with connectors soldered on the ends coming out of 14 E1.31 controllers.

Well, looks like I'm going to go cost effective and try it. When I look at my oem connectors though I can see the wires leading into the connector. That was my main concern, water puddling up inside there. I guess I could use some vasoline or anything as well as silicone to fill that up. Dang this will save me a ton of work.

Thanks

JR

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Well, looks like I'm going to go cost effective and try it. When I look at my oem connectors though I can see the wires leading into the connector. That was my main concern, water puddling up inside there. I guess I could use some vasoline or anything as well as silicone to fill that up. Dang this will save me a ton of work.

Thanks

JR

I don't think Vasoline is a good choice.

If you're using silicone, make sure it's Silicone 2 - non-corrosive and non-conductive.

This is sounding good.  I have plenty of waterproof connectors, but I'm just not sure I wanted to change them all.  My patience on soldering is starting to get thin.

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

I don't think Vasoline is a good choice.

If you're using silicone, make sure it's Silicone 2 - non-corrosive and non-conductive.

That's funny, I use vasoline on the boat wiring all the time, have never had a problem, it acts as an insulator. I guess I didn't learn anything growing up on a farm and being taught by my grandfather and father as well as my military years that vasoline can be use on a lot more than just a babies arse.

I also use MArine grade silicone on my stuff when needed but not on wire connectors that may need to be taken apart some day.

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

That's funny, I use vasoline on the boat wiring all the time, have never had a problem, it acts as an insulator. I guess I didn't learn anything growing up on a farm and being taught by my grandfather and father as well as my military years that vasoline can be use on a lot more than just a babies arse.

I also use MArine grade silicone on my stuff when needed but not on wire connectors that may need to be taken apart some day.

That's great.  Keep on doing what works for you. 

My point was to warn those who may be unaware that not all plastics get along well with Vasoline.  As well as those who don't know that certain silicones should be avoided in our hobby.  Didn't need to learn that on a farm or while I was in the military - I learned it here from those who mentored me a decade ago.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

That's great.  Keep on doing what works for you. 

My point was to warn those who may be unaware that not all plastics get along well with Vasoline.  As well as those who don't know that certain silicones should be avoided in our hobby.  Didn't need to learn that on a farm or while I was in the military - I learned it here from those who mentored me a decade ago.