Light-O-Rama Forums

Fear of Heights

Dcroc

Am I the only one that suffers acrophobia?  I don't let it stop me from doing much, but it would be nice not to be white knuckled while doing it.  I actually leave my RGB strips on the roof line all year.  I tell people it's because they blend into the house, and saves me some time next year.......but it's really because I am scared S***less to climb up there and get them.  Ladders are an exceptionally frightening experience for me (and a comical one for my kids to watch as I whimper like a little girl).  I actually saw a bucket lift truck for sale a couple blocks away that I considered buying to avoid the ladder issue, but that would be bending to my fear, and I hate to do that.  Am I alone on this?

If the bucket truck makes it easier on you, then do it.

If you're on a ladder and not comfortable being there, you're probably in more danger in the average person. (Just my two cents.) If someone gives you a hard time over getting a bucket truck, then tell them another word that rhymes with bucket. :)

• Like 1

Dcroc

I don't believe the bucket truck would have helped, I don't think I have acrophobia but I too don't like ladders, before retiring I was on ladders and up in a JLG lift all the time for my job, but ladder or lift I still had nervous white knuckle episodes. You overcame them and that is good, you did what you had to too get the job done.

My neighbor and I are always looking for a articulated lift for christmas, wish you lived on our culdesak, another neighbor or two and we could split the cost and make decorating the 8 houses we do so much easier, the trees on our street are the big pain and the lift would make them so much easier. Last year we rented one to trim and decorate, wish we could afford to have it around for takedown too.

Keith

• Like 1

I was seriously just talking to my partner about this last night. The one thing I HATE about this hobby is having to cover the peaks of our house with lights. Something about being 35+ft above the ground while straddling the eve. It makes my palms sweat, and stresses me out. Thankfully for this year we are buying "roofers shoes" which have small cleats on them to help with traction on the roof. My biggest fear was sliding down the roof. I guess tennis shoes are the best thing to wear on your roof. That being said, next year we are upgrading our roof line to RGB nodes, and I bet those will end up staying up year round.

On a side note, recently I went to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson NJ, and rode Zumanjaro: Drop Of Doom... When you have a fear of heights slowly being drug 415ft up in the air, just to be dropped straight back down is a bit to much. I seriously thought I was going to have another heart attack! :huh:

TchmpRxiN5FCYu0nxRafr5rJ1DWiWXKgmXiKiLmc

Talk about fear of heights... NEVER AGAIN!!!

I use a boot called Cougar Paws when I have to go up on my roof. My roof is three stories up and the boots have interchangeable soles so you can put on roofing soles or spikes to walk around.

https://www.cougarpaws.com/p-212-performer-boot.aspx

I am not afraid of heights but I sure as heck don't want to fall off from that height.

Edited by Mr. P

2 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

I was seriously just talking to my partner about this last night. The one thing I HATE about this hobby is having to cover the peaks of our house with lights. Something about being 35+ft above the ground while straddling the eve. It makes my palms sweat, and stresses me out. Thankfully for this year we are buying "roofers shoes" which have small cleats on them to help with traction on the roof. My biggest fear was sliding down the roof. I guess tennis shoes are the best thing to wear on your roof. That being said, next year we are upgrading our roof line to RGB nodes, and I bet those will end up staying up year round.

On a side note, recently I went to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson NJ, and rode Zumanjaro: Drop Of Doom... When you have a fear of heights slowly being drug 415ft up in the air, just to be dropped straight back down is a bit to much. I seriously thought I was going to have another heart attack! :huh:

TchmpRxiN5FCYu0nxRafr5rJ1DWiWXKgmXiKiLmc

Talk about fear of heights... NEVER AGAIN!!!

My fall while in the Army caused me my 2nd heart attack! Along with many other injuries.

i was never scared of heights but always respected heights. 

2 years of recovery before the Army decided stabilization was the best I would get. Had to retire at 26 years of service. 

I rent a boom lift JLG to get to the 50' peak. Last year that almost was deadly to me so now I am nervous about renting lifts as well.

JR

• Like 1

Scared of heights..get queezy and panicy.  Get the feeling if I even look over side of brdige of get near a full length window in tall building. 

So when I started this LOR time a few year back, goal was to limit 2nd story lighting.   I climb onto my front porch roff to hang a big pixel wreath and meteor tub e trame.  Being over 60, visually impair, much prefer to do first sotryt and out into the year.  Before doing a lot of 2nd story lighting, I think people do have to look at the safety factor and wether it's worth it.  Co-worker's husband fromm roof of single sotry, landed on face and lost sight in one eye. 

I'm good up, not a issue.. coming down is another story.  

Just don't come down to fast......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and don't try to stick the landing. I was luckily unconscious when I fell. Landed back first on pallet of NVG that's what did all damage but if I didn't land on them I might not be around.

• The topic was locked