Light-O-Rama Forums

File size...

Brucey

As my display continues to grow I'm adding more and more RGB into it. I've noticed the size of my LMS files, even when using Superstar and Pixel Editor, growing to almost a Gig. 

I'm running everything over DMX instead of the LOR protocol, but as the LMS gets larger, should I be concerned about a max file size?  Is there a file size where I would start to see lags in the show player?

I have a pretty hefty PC running everything, have an S4 Pro license, and all of the wiring from the PC to the controllers is cat5e but just checking before I start expanding my display more. 

BTW, will S5 help with file size??? Any hint?

If you are using SuperStar, unless you need to edit in SE, output as intensity files.  Of course your PE files are already as intensity files.  Then it does not matter how large the intensity files get because the show player does not need to load them into memory.

In my case all of my .lms files are less than 1K in size because all the real data is in the intensity files.  I sequence everything in SuperStar and export as intensity files.

Thanks for that.  Unfortunately most of my sequencing has been done in SE because I found it easier to program in Xlights then import them into the LMS (xlights seemed to give me easier controls over the RGB timings for the arches).

This year, I completely got rid of all of my a/c controllers and moved exclusively to RGB and not sure how to get the same functionality through PE/SS as Xlights without having to import the huge files into SE as LMS.

33 minutes ago, Brucey said:

I found it easier to program in Xlights then import them into the LMS (xlights seemed to give me easier controls over the RGB timings for the arches).

That right there is why your files are so large. The conversion from Xlights to LMS greatly increases the file size.

I use Xlights as well as I have never been able to get the hang of SS and I have some files approaching the 2gb mark and I have no issues so far. However, I do use a super fast gaming laptop as my show computer so it would take a lot to slow it down.