Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie using the TSO Showtime Central starter pkg.

rrmusicman

Hello,

1) Is a chart provided with this package showing which channels are being triggered during each song? Without one, how do you know which channel to plug in a particular light or string of lights?

2) Will a controller handle a 300 watt  par 56 fixture in each channel?

Thank you,

Jeff   

1) You use the Sequence Editor in the Showtime software, this is where you program your lights to the music.

2)  The CTB16PCG3 has two banks of eight channels. The left side has channels 1-8 and the right side has channels 9-16, each bank has its own power cord and fuse and can handle 15 amps each. Each channel is rated at 8 amps so yes your par56 light will work on each channel as each light will draw 2.5 amps.

Here is where you may run into troubles, each bank can handle 15 amps but if you connect a 300 watt par 56 light to each channel (1-8) and turn them all on at the same time you will pull 20 amps which is more then the bank can hold.

300w x 8 = 2400w / 120v = 20 amps

You should be good if you don't turn on more then six lights at the same time on one bank but then again that all depends on the second bank and whether or not you have the power cords plugged into two seperate house circuits. If you have both power cords plugged into the same house circuit then you are limited by the breaker in the house which will be either 15 or 20 amps.

You really need to plan your circuits out carefully so you and your home are safe.

I have to ask, why a 300 watt light? That is a lot of light, You can use way more lights if you use LED.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

Mr. P,

Thanks for the info. The 300 watt bulbs are in my par 56 cans that use to be part of my former band's lightshow. I may not even use them. I was just curious in case I decided to light up the front wall of my house with those; maybe 6 red and 6 green changing from one color to the other. I'd have to alter the sockets and mountings in the cans if I wanted to change over to LED.

I'll have (4) separate 20 amp, dedicated circuits available directly from my service panel to plug the controllers into.

I'm still confused on the sequencing. The Trans-Siberian Orchestra SD card is pre-programmed and I'm getting the standard one that cannot be edited. With 48 different light sources to plug in (I'll have 3 controllers), isn't there a way to know what channels are being triggered in different parts of the songs, so that I can decide which lights are plugged into which channels? Do the TSO song patterns show up in the S4 Basic Plus Suite License software after transferring the sequences and audio to my PC using the sequence installer included in the TSO SD card? Otherwise, I'll be spending hours and hours, plugging and unplugging lights trying to control what lights up when.

Thanks again,

Jeff 

I don't use the pre-programmed sequences as I create my own but you should still be able to open the sequence in the Sequence Editor to look at the channels and what is assigned to each channel. Usually those canned sequences are grouped in 4's so channels 1-4 come on together then 5-8 then 9-12 and finally 13-16.

Someone with more knowledge on the canned sequences will chime in and give you more details.

If LOR uses the same feature to protect their sequences that we are offered in SE then you will not be able to see the sequence.

If I protect a sequence and share it the other person receives a working "blank looking" sequence.

JR

I get the idea now. I'll start with the TSO starter package and eventually make my own sequences for next year when I have more time.Thank you all for your input!  

7 minutes ago, rrmusicman said:

I get the idea now. I'll start with the TSO starter package and eventually make my own sequences for next year when I have more time.Thank you all for your input!  

There are many of us who share our sequences for "free". When you see a free sequence being offered, take it. No matter how many channels 8-1000, take it. You can expand on it or copy paste from a sequence having 100 channels to parts that fit your setup.

Save all of your files in the appropriate LOR default folders to simplify things on down the road.

Best of luck.

JR

One more thing and I can't state this enough. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!!!  Make sure sure you BACKUP everything and I highly recommend that you keep at least two BACKUP copies stored somewhere other then on your computer.

BACKUP!!!   

I can't be any clearer then that.

• Like 1

One more thing and I can't state this enough. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!!!  Make sure sure you BACKUP everything and I highly recommend that you keep at least two BACKUP copies stored somewhere other then on your computer.
BACKUP!!!   
I can't be any clearer then that.

I think he's trying to tell you to back up all your Sequences. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

In case you missed it, back up your sequences. Keep a backup off site somewhere - either on a physical device somewhere else (I keep a backup hard drive at my office), or on the cloud (I use Google Drive). Also make certain that your filenames have something identifies revision date so you can tell which is the latest version. For example, a file I was working on yesterday is named "Opening 2017-06-20b.sup". Leaves no doubt what song it is, and when it was revised.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

• Like 2