Light-O-Rama Forums

Fade up and down not working on certain channels

racerc20

Evening all.

I just finished assembling two semi completed kits... no soldering... all plug ins...  On one of the controllers I am having an issue.

Found unit on comm, set unit ID all no problem.  The following is what happens in test and in a sequence,  all channels on, shimmer, twinkle.  but only channels 9-16 fade up and down.  1-8 do not.  1-8 have a mix of led and incans.... channels 9-16 are all incans. 

Is it the mix of lights on 1-8?  or a setting somewhere that I am missing.  Running LOR 4.3.14 basic plus edition.

Thanks in advance

Carl

First guess is that there is no power to the channel 1 - 8 side of the controller.  I assume these are AC controllers.  Is the controller set up for single or dual AC input?  If two, do you have both power plugs plugged in?  With the controller unplugged, check both fuses.

On channels 1 to 8 the lights light steady on, shimmer and twinkle no problem.  There is just no fade.  I check fuse but that cant be the problem.

Swap the strings. Move the strings that were on 9-16 to 1-8. Move the strings on 1-8 to 9-16. Does the problem stay on channels 1-8 or did it move with the strings?

Matt

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

On channels 1 to 8 the lights light steady on, shimmer and twinkle no problem.  There is just no fade.  I check fuse but that cant be the problem.

Sorry, I misread your original message as they did not work at all - hence the lack of power assumption.
I agree with Matt. Remember that a lot of LED strings will look almost full on at a very low intensity.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

Ok all i assembled two boxes from WOW.  In the hardware test utility channels 1-8 on both boxes when fade up is clicked.  the LED and incans on those 8 channels light up as if steady on was selected.   on channels 9-16 the on both boxes the fade works with both incans and LEDs.

Any ideas what to check next?  And why half the box is working that way?

13 minutes ago, racerc20 said:

Ok all i assembled two boxes from WOW.  In the hardware test utility channels 1-8 on both boxes when fade up is clicked.  the LED and incans on those 8 channels light up as if steady on was selected.   on channels 9-16 the on both boxes the fade works with both incans and LEDs.

Any ideas what to check next?  And why half the box is working that way?

Carl, have you tried to reset the controller and start anew?

Also, you mentioned a sequence as well. Have you tried the sequence or just make a simple affects test sequence. Just throw some fades, shimmers ect on it to test.

FYI- before running a seq ensure to close HU

Also check for firmware update.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

No i did not reset.  The fades did not work in a sequence or in the hardware utility.  

Its just weird that both controllers are doing the exact same thing.

Im a donkeys behind.  JR you were 100 percent right.  Reset them manually via the jumper and now all channels normally.  Thank you guys.

2 hours ago, racerc20 said:

Im a donkeys behind.  JR you were 100 percent right.  Reset them manually via the jumper and now all channels normally.  Thank you guys.

Glad you got it. I've been down the same road.

JR

Within the controller the dimming curves can be changed to accommodate LEDs they can also be changed to be just on off channels which was likely the cause of your problem and was corrected by a reset. I'm just pointing it out so you have a better understanding what might have happened. Moving forward if you have a mix of incandescent lights and LEDs you may want to adjust the dimming curves so that they fade roughly the same. 

Edited by Ebuechner

E, I saw and have read about the dimming curves in the hardware utility.  When i looked at them they were all set the same. Thanks for helping out.  All information is greatly appreciated.

Well we have a situation again.  And before i call wow on monday i thought id throw it here again.  After resetting both new controllers the fades on all 32 channels worked fine led and incans plugged in.  I built a test board of 16 c9 bulbs to help visualize and see the lights.  More fun than watching visualizer well lets just say helpful.  Visualizer is mega.cool.  anyway i noticed that 1 thru 8 were not fading in or out but 9 thru 16 were working fine.  I unplugged and moved the reset jumper waitied for the fast flash unplugged and moved jumper back.  Still not right.  Heres a link to a vid.  

any ideas guys and gals.

Carl

Carl- I sent you a test sequence to copy and paste into your config. The song title doesn't matter, its all fades. 

It has to be in your settings since all controllers are doing the same thing. I doubt there is a chance on three bad boards.

If you want send me your channel config .LCC file to get a second pair of eyes on it.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Other thought I had is a wiring issue. Are you feeding the controllers with one or two feeds, and if one, did you jumper both power and neutral between both sides of the board?

56 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Other thought I had is a wiring issue. Are you feeding the controllers with one or two feeds, and if one, did you jumper both power and neutral between both sides of the board?

Jim- I had him send me a pic earlier, he didn't have to wire the PS, it was pre assembled. I was thinking same thing. I am thinking it has to be in his settings since all 3 are now acting the same.

In his picture I can barely make out 2 power cords and all wires are feeding in, though I cant see the terminal screws.

Let me ask you since all of my C9's are dimmable. Are al C9's dimmable?

Edited by dibblejr

I wonder if the voltage on the PS could be set wrong

Power supply? What kind of controllers are these? I had assumed AC controllers since he's controlling C9 strings, but those would not involve a power supply.

• Like 1