Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree frame cost?

Archer

I'm in the process of making a mega tree frame that will be 24ft high plus the topper. It will have 32 cables from the 9ft dia base to the top. The end user will have the option of using whatever lights they want and attach them to the cables. I'm contemplating having it powder coated black. I will provide the cables only no lights. Does anybody out there have an idea what a frame for a tree this size would sell for? I'm also developing an option to attach the lights at eye level and hoisting them into position at the top....for an added fee. I'm confident that 1 person will be able to stand this tree up and anchor it into position. The end user of the first tree I will build is hanging pixels on the cables......1800 of them.

I'm in the process of making a mega tree frame that will be 24ft high plus the topper. It will have 32 cables from the 9ft dia base to the top. The end user will have the option of using whatever lights they want and attach them to the cables. I'm contemplating having it powder coated black. I will provide the cables only no lights. Does anybody out there have an idea what a frame for a tree this size would sell for? I'm also developing an option to attach the lights at eye level and hoisting them into position at the top....for an added fee. I'm confident that 1 person will be able to stand this tree up and anchor it into position. The end user of the first tree I will build is hanging pixels on the cables......1800 of them.

I use a modified version of this one from Daryl. Used 1-1/4" rigid conduit painted flat black with el cheapo spray paint. 16 cables supporting 4-color superstrands. Adding 16 more superstrands this year and have zero concerns it will hold.
Mine is 20ft and my strands go all the way to the ground, to a 10ft ring (don't personally like the trunk look).

https://www.christmaslightshow.com/20-mega-tree-kit-for-outdoor-decorations-1.html

Whatever you do, if you use conduit for the pole, don't trust the coupling. Need a pole pin like this.

https://www.christmaslightshow.com/pole-pin-12-for-mega-tree.html

3c87d45868201eb9a2f46388ff1aeb97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mega

My tree has a base that will support the center pole and be free standing. Guy wires will be used for safety reasons. The center pole will be 2" sch40 black iron pipe. I'm not using couplings as they are too weak. The center pole will come in 3 - 8ft sections plus an adapter for the topper. I begin fabrication of this project this week. This will actually be a prototype for a prospective buyer. If he likes it, he wants 10. I was curious as to what people think a price should be. 

materials cost + 20%
plus $20/hr fabrication time
plus $100 profit

If your customer was worrying about costs very much, would DIY anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You first need to come up with a good design, consulting with client on features that might make it easier to install/raise.  At that point, you can list compoent, quanties and cost and them include your labor/profit.

There are several "mega tree parts" dealers for hardware such as the pole pins, hook head, crank head, etc..  Like so many diy projects, parts like connectors, bolt, wire and such can really add to a project cost, so don't forget them.  

Again, would suggest browering mage tree part dealers for ideas/cost. Just do a google search and you'll find tyhem, along with videos.  I just watched one on using a crank head to raise the cable/light strings.

Look at the "JUMP" system. There are several great build videos on youtube as well as a 45 min video of it all setup.

This is going to be my replacement for my tower. I will use the "in ground" method vice the "portable hole" method.

With the Jump system the parts do not take much space, easy to assemble and raise. (it wont work with CCR ribbons, or it may at an expense). Pixel nodes and LED/ Incans this is a great way.

JR

Thanks guys for your input. I viewed the JUMP system videos and although they are quite impressive, I eliminated about 75% of the work required to put up a 24ft (plus the topper) mega tree when compared to that system. The design I made is now almost completely fabricated but I will say it will not be cheap. Some of the comforts of my design affording the user are.....no ladders needed, no adjustments of the strands of lights needed once they are fabricated in your shop. No worries of the center pole bending and it comes down at the end of the season faster than it went up. It can go up on irregular ground with plumbing the center pole done by typical construction methods... (blocks and shims). Its going to cost about $1K but the trade-off will be the time saved in putting it up every year and ease of mind that it will be there in the morning after the storm. 2 trees side by side will be absolutely identical. I already have 14 on order and the first one is not even 100% complete. I'm 66 and stood it up by myself so its not bad.

Thanks for all your input.....

I wish I knew how to attach photos .....sheeeesh. 

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

Thanks guys for your input. I viewed the JUMP system videos and although they are quite impressive, I eliminated about 75% of the work required to put up a 24ft (plus the topper) mega tree when compared to that system. The design I made is now almost completely fabricated but I will say it will not be cheap. Some of the comforts of my design affording the user are.....no ladders needed, no adjustments of the strands of lights needed once they are fabricated in your shop. No worries of the center pole bending and it comes down at the end of the season faster than it went up. It can go up on irregular ground with plumbing the center pole done by typical construction methods... (blocks and shims). Its going to cost about $1K but the trade-off will be the time saved in putting it up every year and ease of mind that it will be there in the morning after the storm. 2 trees side by side will be absolutely identical. I already have 14 on order and the first one is not even 100% complete. I'm 66 and stood it up by myself so its not bad.

Thanks for all your input.....

I wish I knew how to attach photos .....sheeeesh. 

Host your photos on a site like Photobucket, once there copy and paste the forum URL to your thread. Easy peasy.

JR

• The topic was locked