Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple house controller stand

debtoews

When your doing 34 houses- you gotta be organized.  Hubby made these stands out of 1 piece of 2 X @ furring strip and painted them black. 2 16 channel controllers fit on each one.  He will put a surge protector on the side. We will over with a black plastic garbage bag for rain.  Best part is the connections wont be on the ground!

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3657.JPG

• Like 4

Holy cow! Looks like you're almost powering your a city! Great job, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lightingnewb said:

Holy cow! Looks like you're almost powering your a city! Great job, thanks for sharing.

this is for 19 houses  :-)  plus we have 15 more houses so even more!  thanks

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Richs lightshow said:

What are the demensions for each frame

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

24 inches tall by 11 inches wide.

That is seriously insane!!! (In a good way!!)

I can't wait for my house alone to require that many controllers!! ;)

On 7/3/2017 at 10:13 AM, DisneyMatt10 said:

That is seriously insane!!! (In a good way!!)

I can't wait for my house alone to require that many controllers!! ;)

That is a picture of only half of what we use.  We are close to 100 controllers!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 2:35 PM, Mr. P said:

How many ELLs?

50- because we have 5 different networks and need some to "jump" the data to the other streets.  We are 3 streets together for the event.

Edited by debtoews
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2017 at 8:04 PM, debtoews said:

50- because we have 5 different networks and need some to "jump" the data to the other streets.  We are 3 streets together for the event.

Wow, I wish I lived in your area so I could see the show!  

BTW, how do you get the data from one side of the street to the other side?   A really long data cable suspended high above the street?  Wireless transmitter?   This will be my first year using the LOR, and in the future I'm hoping to convince neighbors on our street to do the same thing you're doing.  Seems easy for houses on the same side of the street, but I'm not sure how to send the data across the street.

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

BTW, how do you get the data from one side of the street to the other side?   A really long data cable suspended high above the street?  Wireless transmitter?   This will be my first year using the LOR, and in the future I'm hoping to convince neighbors on our street to do the same thing you're doing.  Seems easy for houses on the same side of the street, but I'm not sure how to send the data across the street.

ELL's (Easy Light Linkers).

http://store.lightorama.com/ealili.html

9 hours ago, Speedster said:

We use ELL's and have several networks. Trying to connect everything via Cat5 cables would be insane!

10 hours ago, Speedster said:

in the future I'm hoping to convince neighbors on our street to do the same thing you're doing.  

Be careful what you wish for!  lol  This is an incredible amount of work that goes on almost every single day of the year.  Also, you will get to know your neighbors in ways that are good and bad.  The bad sometimes get really ugly so just a heads up.  Never ceases to amaze me how neighbors can allow you to do all the work and carry the financial burden and then have no problems just sitting back, watching yet bragging to their friends about their project.  Make sure you consider this and more before including others.  Even tho they know nothing, they can try and gain control over the project.  If you're OK with that great, then it wont be an issue for you.  Good luck!

19 hours ago, Mr. P said:

ELL's (Easy Light Linkers).

http://store.lightorama.com/ealili.html

10 hours ago, debtoews said:

We use ELL's and have several networks. Trying to connect everything via Cat5 cables would be insane!

Thanks, I assumed there was a better way to do this other than stringing Cat5 cables all over the street!

10 hours ago, debtoews said:

Be careful what you wish for!  lol  This is an incredible amount of work that goes on almost every single day of the year.  Also, you will get to know your neighbors in ways that are good and bad.  The bad sometimes get really ugly so just a heads up.  Never ceases to amaze me how neighbors can allow you to do all the work and carry the financial burden and then have no problems just sitting back, watching yet bragging to their friends about their project.  Make sure you consider this and more before including others.  Even tho they know nothing, they can try and gain control over the project.  If you're OK with that great, then it wont be an issue for you.  Good luck!

Great advice!  From my experience these past few years using a non-LOR setup, I know it's hard enough to find enough time to setup the lights at our own home due to a hectic work and family life, so I know it wouldn't be possible for me to do any of the setup work for the houses on our street.  It's hard enough for me to come up with the $ for my own LOR gear, so I'd have to convince all the neighbors to buy their own LOR controllers.  That would be nearly impossible, since most of the houses on our street don't even have any outdoor lights or yard decor during Christmas, so I doubt if they would be willing to make the effort to decorate like Clark Griswold and also be willing to pay for all the necessary LOR hardware if they've never done any outdoor decorating all these years.  I think my only hope would be for enough neighbors to see our LOR display this year and get "inspired" to do the same.  That might be possible with our immediate neighbors next door and directly across the street, as I've noticed that they did more decorating outdoors for Christmas 2016 after I setup a large display (non-LOR) for the first time in 2015.  But for now I guess I'll just concentrate on setting up my LOR for the first time ever, and we'll see if any neighbors get curious and want to join in on the fun next year!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 10:43 AM, Speedster said:

Thanks, I assumed there was a better way to do this other than stringing Cat5 cables all over the street!

Great advice!  From my experience these past few years using a non-LOR setup, I know it's hard enough to find enough time to setup the lights at our own home due to a hectic work and family life, so I know it wouldn't be possible for me to do any of the setup work for the houses on our street.  It's hard enough for me to come up with the $ for my own LOR gear, so I'd have to convince all the neighbors to buy their own LOR controllers.  That would be nearly impossible, since most of the houses on our street don't even have any outdoor lights or yard decor during Christmas, so I doubt if they would be willing to make the effort to decorate like Clark Griswold and also be willing to pay for all the necessary LOR hardware if they've never done any outdoor decorating all these years.  I think my only hope would be for enough neighbors to see our LOR display this year and get "inspired" to do the same.  That might be possible with our immediate neighbors next door and directly across the street, as I've noticed that they did more decorating outdoors for Christmas 2016 after I setup a large display (non-LOR) for the first time in 2015.  But for now I guess I'll just concentrate on setting up my LOR for the first time ever, and we'll see if any neighbors get curious and want to join in on the fun next year!

That is how my 2 house show was born this year. The neighbor across from us loved it and wanted in on it. I bought the light linkers and controller in the sale a couple months ago but he is buying all the lights and stuff for it. People get jealous and want in lol. But hey it's the smiles and happiness it brings that makes it all worth it in the end. Good luck either way but this is an adventure for sure. One my kids have learned to love and now take part in. When we moved into our development only 2 houses put up lights. Now half the development does. It's an awesome feeling to know people are joining in for the holiday spirit. 

On 10/18/2017 at 12:28 PM, GriswoldStyle said:

That is how my 2 house show was born this year. The neighbor across from us loved it and wanted in on it. I bought the light linkers and controller in the sale a couple months ago but he is buying all the lights and stuff for it. People get jealous and want in lol. But hey it's the smiles and happiness it brings that makes it all worth it in the end. Good luck either way but this is an adventure for sure. One my kids have learned to love and now take part in. When we moved into our development only 2 houses put up lights. Now half the development does. It's an awesome feeling to know people are joining in for the holiday spirit. 

That's the power of peer pressure, lol!  Gotta try to keep up with the Griswolds or else the rest of the neighborhood might think they're Grinches if they don't!  :P

So far, I have not had anyone ask to join in, but there are a lot more houses on my street than there were when I first started. If I were to ask, I’m quite certain my next door neighbor would let me spread into his yard. 

I have a hard enough time just sequencing my own house let alone coordinating with someone else.  Kudos to those that can pull it off!

3 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I have a hard enough time just sequencing my own house let alone coordinating with someone else.  Kudos to those that can pull it off!

If I were to try this with some of our neighbors, I'd have to use all pre-sequenced songs from the TSO collection and from the Sequence Store, since I don't even have time to learn how to sequence my own house lol.  Then I'd tell the neighbors to buy a light controller (set to Id #1) and an ELL.  So their light controllers would be doing the same things as ours.  Probably not as impressive as a really well-designed customized sequence for multiple houses that have each house doing different things at different times, but I think it would still look pretty cool.