Light-O-Rama Forums

Will LED's Shimmer, Twinkle using SE?

LightshowNoober

Hey folks,

I'm testing a Coro candle and I have eight of the rectangular LED modules. The candle base contains five of the eight modules, with the remaining three in the candle flame itself. I've created a test sequence in LOR with only one Pixie16. I've created the appropriate RGB channels and grouped them accordingly. (i.e. Candle base, Candle Flame). I'm trying to use the shimmer and/or twinkle effect for the flickering flame effect; however, I'm unable to get these effects to work when I run the sequence. 

I've created random on/off and fades w/ each LED and they work fine, the shimmer and twinkle does not.

Any thoughts?

Thx in advance

Are you using the shimmer and twinkle on the bottom of the fade tool? When you choose your color for pixels the shimmer and twinkle is on the bottom of the color pop up box.

Example: you want a yellow candle flame so you would fade yellow to yellow to keep a solid color and underneath the yellow fade you will see the shimmer and twinkle radio buttons, click the one you want.

Be advised that twinkle goes through many colors randomly.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

593c9780198c2_Candletest.jpg.0a17a76663e61c5a3d89c61eb7b03239.jpg

Thx Mr. P for your reply. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "bottom of the color pop up box". I tried using the shimmer and twinkle from the tool bar. The ones next to the on/off commands. I'll enclose a picture. I tried using both twinkle and shimmer from the tool bar on both red and green. 

Edited by LightshowNoober

Ok. I found the color fade tool, and i've changed both colors to a flame color. I've done one RGB channel as twinkle w/ these two colors and one channel w/ shimmer and it's still not working. Any thoughts? 

Thx again, i really appreciate your help

You stated you had three of the rectangle lights in each flame so keep in mind that each rectangle has 9 channels assigned to it, three red, three green and three blue. If you have three rectangle lights in the flame then you will be using 27 total channels or nine of the black rows in SE so you will have to program them all the same to see the effect.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

You stated you had three of the rectangle lights in each flame so keep in mind that each rectangle has 9 channels assigned to it, three red, three green and three blue. If you have three rectangle lights in the flame then you will be using 27 total channels or nine of the black rows in SE so you will have to program them all the same to see the effect.

You sure about that?  The only rectangle smart modules I have used are three RGB LEDs, but each module is a single RGB channel (or if you prefer, three individual channels) - same concept as the normal three RGB LEDs on a single chip on a strip.  However as you said, since he is using three modules lighting up the same candle, they must be controlled the same.

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You sure about that?  The only rectangle smart modules I have used are three RGB LEDs, but each module is a single RGB channel (or if you prefer, three individual channels) - same concept as the normal three RGB LEDs on a single chip on a strip.  However as you said, since he is using three modules lighting up the same candle, they must be controlled the same.

I was going off the product description from a seller:

• Each module contains a quantity of three, 5mm x 5mm RGB LEDs (each which has a single red, green and blue LED) for a total of 9 LEDs per module.

I don't have rectangles but your saying they work like ribbons grouped in three's?

Edited by Mr. P

Correct.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

Thx everyone for your input! :) I figured out my problem. I simply had the wrong LED's in the groups I created. Now I can get the flame to flicker.  

17 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The shimmer and twinkle on the tool bar won't work on RGB, you have to use the color fade tool for RGB.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Whether via the tool bar or via keyboard commands, twinkle and shimmer have always worked just fine on RGB channels.

3 hours ago, George Simmons said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Whether via the tool bar or via keyboard commands, twinkle and shimmer have always worked just fine on RGB channels.

The twinkle and shimmer icon in the top tool bar is for regular channels, CTB16 channels. You use the shimmer and twinkle in the color fade tool for RGB (in the LOR video go to the 4:00 mark).

Just so George understands me and where I come from let me explain a little better.

The LOR RGB colors are in decimal code with black being RGB=0 0 0, and white being RGB=255 255 255. All colors will have some combination of the RGB decimal code turned on to achieve a particular color.

The shimmer and twinkle on the top tool bar only turns that color on 100% or 255 which is fine if you want white where R=255 (100% on), G=255 (100% on), B=255 (100% on) or any combination where red, green or blue is 100% on. The reason you use the color fade tool is to aquire colors where you are not turning each RGB color on 100%. Say you are using a color that is 125 125 125 then you can't use the shimmer on the top tool bar as that only turns the channel on 100% and since 125 is not 100% or 255 you can't use the shimmer in the tool bar.

For an advanced user like George this is simple but for a new lighter or someone just starting RGB it can be very confusing. This is why I referenced the LOR instructional video where they use the shimmer and twinkle for RGB on the color fade tool.

If there is more please inform as I am always willing to learn.

Edited by Mr. P

The Custom tool allows you to set a variable/custom intensity for shimmers and/or twinkles - including fades up and down of those commands. 

These effects can be applied globally for RGB channels, or the RGB channel can be expanded and the effect applied to a single or specific color channel.

• The topic was locked