Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB Matrix

NJJohn

Good afternoon all, I have four sets of LOR Cosmic Color Bulbs and want to build a matrix.  My questions are as follows:

1.  Has anybody created a matrix with CCB's? (If, do you have a link to a video?)

2.  How does it look considering the bulbs are big?

3.  What spacing is advised for bulbs that size?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

John

Yes, I would think that a matrix using CCBs would look fine as long as the audience is not right on top of it.

Four CCB sets gives you 400 bulbs, so depending on what you are trying to do, you have a number of options.  In my opinion, 400 pixels is pretty small for a matrix, but here are some of the possibilities:  20 x 20, 16 x 25, 12 x 33, 10 x 40, 8 x 50.  Of course each of those could be oriented in either portrait or landscape.  If it were me, I would seriously think about a ribbon matrix for displaying text.  With that number of pixels, most likely I would go with 8 x 50. 

As far as spacing, that would largely depend on how far away the audience will be.  The farther away, the larger the spacing.

I second what Jim stated plus I would like to add, if you are planning on purchasing matrix sequences you will be hard pressed to find any for just four CCBs. Most sequences are for 12 CCB/CCR/CCP or a 24x50 matrix which is quickly becoming the standard.

Actually 6 CCB/CCP since each has two strings to make 12. :)

Edited by Mr. P

I have a matrix of every kind in my display.   Two CCR matix which have coro over them on either side of the door.   Two bullet CCP matrix which are squares.  

In the front the Ican fountains are a matrix.   The 8 cones are also a matrix.   I can do patterns and words.    

On this one you can see the CCB cone matrix with scrolling words at 2min mark.   At the same time the CCR matrix is harder to see.

Jim, Mr. P and BobO,

Thank you for the responses.  As it turns out, I typed my question in quickly before I left work and mistakenly put four CCB's instead of six.  I forgot about the two just recently delivered by LOR.  With six sets of CCB's, I can create a 24x50 matrix.  Using a 2" spacing, that should give me a matrix approximately 4' x 8'.  It sounds like that should be a good stepping off point.  Now all I need to do is to figure out how to program it.

Thank you all for your responses, it was greatly appreciated.

And BobO......love the videos. Very entertaining.

John

If you do have six CCBs that will  get you a 12x50 or a 24x25 matrix as each string has 50 bulbs. So at 2" spacing that would be 2'x8' or 4'x4'matrix you would need six mor CCBs to create a 24x50.

Mr. P,

You are correct, that is how I add things at 3:22am.  Usually they are not correct.  Thanks for catching that.

Maybe I need a couple more CCB's or try 3 inch spacing.

Decisions decisions......

John

You could always go with LORs Pixie16 or Pixcon controllers and add some 2811 bulbs, it would be a cheaper route with the same affect.

Also, since you already have six CCBs all you would need is a Pixie8.

Edited by Mr. P