Light-O-Rama Forums

strobes

Jeffery m

7 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Me :)  I also used them . mostly the smaller ones with my Kodak Brownie

LMAO!  And now you've got people wondering who is Kodak, and what kind of brownies did they sell?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

I wonder what percentage of forum members have actually SEEN a flash bulb in action?

I certainly did.

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

I wonder what percentage of forum members have actually SEEN a flash bulb in action?

Used both the 4 flash "cubes" on a Kodak Instamatic, and single flash bulbs.  I've also used a flash bulb as an igniter for home-made explosives back in high school time frame.

19 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Used both the 4 flash "cubes" on a Kodak Instamatic, and single flash bulbs.  I've also used a flash bulb as an igniter for home-made explosives back in high school time frame.

Hope Homeland Security aren't on here.....

Good grief, I was doing some looking around at purchasing xenon strobes. These little gems have increased in price since I last purchased them a few years ago.

CDI is having a sale but want more than 1 flash per second.

FYI (and this is personal experience, and YMMV):

I always hated LED strobes.  Just like many on this thread I found that they looked more like a blinking white LED than they did a strobe.  A few years ago at an Expo one of us LOR guys (Cliff) decided to buy some from Christmas Light Show.  I swore up and down that he was NOT going to be happy with them.  Xenon was the ONLY way to go.  

I was wrong.  The LED strobes Darryl had looked great, nearly identical to the Xenon ones he was also selling (they were side by side).  They had the correct 'pop' and 'decay' - which is what most people (or at least yours truly) noticed as the difference with old LED strobes and Xenon.

Before discounting LED strobes completely, I would buy one or two as a sample and see if you think they are good.

FYI:  There is a PPT presentation floating around on how to repair Xenon strobes.

where were you getting them from?  I haven't had one fail yet and I have been using them for 5 years.

1 hour ago, caniac said:

where were you getting them from?  I haven't had one fail yet and I have been using them for 5 years.

Question should be, where are you getting them from? I was having 20-25 failures a season so I quit using them.

I would think the old Real Estate saw would apply

Location Location Location

Subject to high heat (rests on a very hot surface)

Located where water pools or floods the strobe

EMP (lightning hits nearby), or RF (Ham transmitter very close)

I would think the old Real Estate saw would apply
Location Location Location
Subject to high heat (rests on a very hot surface)
Located where water pools or floods the strobe
EMP (lightning hits nearby), or RF (Ham transmitter very close)

I am a ham and can say 1500 watts of rf doesn't bother them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ham - noun \ˈham\:  a showy performer; especially :  an actor performing in an exaggerated theatrical style.  :D

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Ham - noun \ˈham\:  a showy performer; especially :  an actor performing in an exaggerated theatrical style.  :D

I'm a ham as well. Radio operator and performer. ?

• Like 3