Light-O-Rama Forums

Needing details to add pixel led strips for arches.

GriswoldStyle

Hello all.

I'm sure I am not the only LOR n00b to ask but not seeing any posts about this.

Biggest question is where do I start? I purchased lor last year during the summer sale. Shockingly for only 16 channels I think I did a good job with standard led lights. I made arches last year and only used 5 channels. Shockingly it came out pretty good. So this year I have the upgrade bug.  I'm thinking of adding leaping arches using pixels which I see many have done.

However I honestly do not know where to start. I have the showtime package with plug n show and a 16 channel controller.

What would I need to add these on lor? honestly I just dabbled into this a couple days ago but have no idea what I will need to do this nor have I truly researched it alot yet. Hoping someone can basically give me a list of everything I will need and where to find it. Besides a power supply and board what would I need? I'm kind of lost but really want to join the pixel folks. It all started with 16 channels. Now I truly want more more more and I think pixels will be the perfect addition those year.. I cant take all the credit for the work I did as many people helped me with sequences.

Link to our 2016 display  (couldnt figure out how to add video in post

Edited by GriswoldStyle

There are lots of ways to build pixel arches.  I have six arches that each have 50 LOR Cosmic Color Pixels.  The pixels are drilled into the back side of PEX pipe.  Take a look at the webpage that shows how I built them.

http://newburghlights.org/CCP_Arches.html

Other people have use ribbons slid inside tubing.  I'm sure others will add their comments.

I built 4 of my arches using the exact method Mr. P. referenced. They look great. The tubing (McMaster Carr) is not that expensive, but you may have shipping issues (make sure and check).

The tubing displays lights as a "soft" effect, very nice.

To make my arches I attached pixel strips to PEX pipe with zip tire and then covered them with white 2"  wire loom.  The loom diffuses the light a bit so you don't get the bright spots of each bulb.

I have them running off a e6804 but I'm sure the new pixie would be easier depending on your application.

Edited by sticks4legs

On 6/8/2017 at 4:31 AM, Mr. P said:

Here is a good video on building arches using strips.

where did you find the tubing?  They don't carry it here at Menards.

where did you find the tubing?  They don't carry it here at Menards.

McMaster Carr but it ain't cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill P said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked and you are correct!! :(

9 hours ago, Bill P said:

Yep, placing an order next week from them for 4 more pixel arches. Expensive but worth it IMO.

I too followed the above referenced video for my 4 pixel arches. McMaster Carr wasn't as expensive as I was thinking it would be for the tubing... However shipping was a nightmare!! That being said, if I had to do it all over again, I would still order the tubing through McMaster Carr, and I would still follow the above video! The arches turned out great, and everyone seemed to love them!!

Now that we are talking about it... I wonder where I could squeeze in more arches?! ... I need a bigger yard!! :huh:

Thank you everyone. I have been researching it a bit and not sure I can tackle it this year but have opted to learn the rgb floods first. They seem to be less involved but again, I still want them just have to find a staring point and build my way up.

Hopefully that will give me more experience since we put on Halloween and Christmas displays. I am ordering those and 3 more 16 channel controllers and the wireless communicators this year to bring my neighbor into the show as well. Then if money allows I will work on the arches.  I swear I just can't stop thinking of things to do or light up but that darn pesky "budget" is what holds me back. The Mrs is just now getting over the cost of upgrading all the lights to led's (all 25,000 of them) So I have to be careful or I end up on the naughty list :) 

41 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I have been researching it a bit and not sure I can tackle it this year but have opted to learn the rgb floods first. They seem to be less involved but again, I still want them just have to find a staring point and build my way up.

It is getting a bit late in the year to start working on a major show change, but DO plan on it for next year.  Behind my pixel tree, my six 50 CCP arches are the next biggest attraction in my show (and essentially everything in my show is RGB).

On 6/21/2017 at 7:42 PM, GriswoldStyle said:

Thank you everyone. I have been researching it a bit and not sure I can tackle it this year but have opted to learn the rgb floods first. They seem to be less involved but again, I still want them just have to find a staring point and build my way up.

Hopefully that will give me more experience since we put on Halloween and Christmas displays. I am ordering those and 3 more 16 channel controllers and the wireless communicators this year to bring my neighbor into the show as well. Then if money allows I will work on the arches.  I swear I just can't stop thinking of things to do or light up but that darn pesky "budget" is what holds me back. The Mrs is just now getting over the cost of upgrading all the lights to led's (all 25,000 of them) So I have to be careful or I end up on the naughty list :) 

Hank did a great instructional here. I built mine very similar except I used strips instead of ccrs. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2113630/Making_CCR_Half_Arches.pdf

my arches are in my Christmas videos on my site in my signature if you want to see.  

• Like 1

Ok. Now that we know how to build the . How do we configure them with Light O Rama and SuperStar.

Any info you can provided would be a great help.

Thanks

The McMaster Carr tubing shipping IS a pain. But well worth the effort! I really like the way my 4 arches turned out last year.