Light-O-Rama Forums

visualizer

Sparky4u

another stupid question. i haven my house set up in visualizer on another computer  and decided to purchase a dedicated show computer. how do I transfer that file to the new computer? thank you in advance.

What does E-Mail have to do with it?

Very important.  Make sure the filename structure is the same between computers.  That can be an issue if different operating systems are involved because Microsoft changes that up from time to time.  If they really are different (and you can't make them the same), there are work arounds that I can go into.  As long as the file structure is the same, just copy the files from one to the show computer.  If they are on the same LAN, you can copy across the LAN.  If not, copy to a USB thumb drive and then from that to the new computer.

Yes, I run a dedicated show computer (at least for Halloween and Christmas), year round landscaping show is is running on my server.

This is our normal canned 'Changing Computer' response:

Moving to a new computer should be relatively easy in regards to the Light-O-Rama sequencing suite. 

First, download and install the Light-O-Rama software on the new computer.  Light-O-Rama software downloads can be found at http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/. The latest version is at the top of the page and previous versions are located at the bottom of the page. It's a big file and could take several minutes to download so be patient. 

To retrieve your license key goto: http://lightorama.com/licenseCheck.html 

Next, start the Sequence Editor and register the software (see more details at http://www.lightorama.com/help/registering_light-o-rama.htm?zoom_highlightsub=register.)  This is important since it will also set up your LOR data directories. Exit the Sequence Editor. 

If you did not change the suggested location for the LOR Data, it will be 'My Documents/Light-O-Rama'. Now, simply copy EVERYTHING in the My Documents/Light-O-Rama from the OLD computer to the NEW computer. This includes all folders (like 'Sequences' and 'Visualizations'), as well as any other files. 

How you copy the files is up to you and depends on the configuration of your computers. If both computers are connected to a network, you may be able to move them that way. You can also copy the files to a removable drive from the old computer (thumb drive), and then from there to the new. You could also burn a CD or DVD. 

Since you have moved to a new computer, none of the 'Recent File Lists' will have entries in them (since this is a NEW computer). Instead you will need to use the 'Open File' command in each program.

• 2 weeks later...

I always am extra safe about this so I consistently backup my files and backup those backups as well. I personally +1 the thumb drive experience as it should be relatively easy.

:) Hope this helps.

• Like 1