Light-O-Rama Forums

House property with a hill in front

Al Saunders

1 hour ago, Al Saunders said:

Hi Everyone,

I can't thank you all enough for all of your opinions and inputs! I love the house, the yard and the biggest thing that can't be shared online is the view. My wife loves the house as well and the view but she has more concerns with some of the cosmetic things it needs and the biggest hurdle is the commute. This house is in Manchester, MD and we both work together in Annapolis, MD. For anyone not familiar with MD that is a 1 1/2 hour commute each way. We drove from work one day and it wasn't a bad ride, had traffic on some of the major highways but nothing terrible. Every day after that I hooked up the GPS and got the same drive time within 1 minute. We are thinking of staying a night in a hotel in a nearby town and driving to work in the morning to see the morning commute.

We are going to look at some houses across the Chesapeake Bay from Annapolis on Wednesday evening. These are 36-45 minute commutes. One is on 1 acre the other is just under 2 acres. Both flat lots and the larger one is much wider than the 1 acre and isn't in a community.

To DibbleJr: My heart and wallet are at this Manchester property but my common sense in respect to commuting may be elsewhere. I'm still praying and I know God will guide us in the right direction to find the right house whether it be this Manchester one or one somewhere else.

Later,

Al

Bless you for putting up with that traffic. I made that trip a lot while in the USMC and Army. As you already know just like here in Birmingham, that 1 hour for me to your 1.5 hours can turn into many hours if there is an accident. However in the area you are travelling they are better equipped and used to that.

I love Chesapeake Bay if for no other reason the "all you can eat" bottomless bucket crab legs.

Yes, God will show you a light. 

Best of luck.

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Saunders said:

This house is in Manchester, MD and we both work together in Annapolis, MD. For anyone not familiar with MD that is a 1 1/2 hour commute each way. We drove from work one day and it wasn't a bad ride, had traffic on some of the major highways but nothing terrible. Every day after that I hooked up the GPS and got the same drive time within 1 minute. We are thinking of staying a night in a hotel in a nearby town and driving to work in the morning to see the morning commute.

Take that one real seriously!  A long commute like that gets real old really fast.  When I drive, my commute in the morning is 35 minutes, and anywhere from 60 - 90 minutes going home (unless someone breaks the freeway in which case it can be up to three hours).  Most of the time I take the train which is about 105 minutes each way.  The train takes quite a bit longer, but is far more relaxing and saves me quite a bit of money vs my 12 MPG 4X4 truck.  When I'm on the train, I can read the newspaper in the morning, and in the afternoon, there is a group of us that plays cards.  Helps a LOT!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 10:59 AM, Mega Arch said:

We are thinking of moving ourselves. Found a perfect house with a perfect display yard. But it's a stones throw away from Tom's house (Santas Helper). Wouldn't want to seem like competing with him, so we're still looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? Are you kidding. I wouldn't care about competition. We could be neighbors. Go for it!!!!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Take that one real seriously!  A long commute like that gets real old really fast.  When I drive, my commute in the morning is 35 minutes, and anywhere from 60 - 90 minutes going home (unless someone breaks the freeway in which case it can be up to three hours).  Most of the time I take the train which is about 105 minutes each way.  The train takes quite a bit longer, but is far more relaxing and saves me quite a bit of money vs my 12 MPG 4X4 truck.  When I'm on the train, I can read the newspaper in the morning, and in the afternoon, there is a group of us that plays cards.  Helps a LOT!

I agree. But then again I've been spoiled the past 27 years living less that 5 miles from work, and that's owning and living in two different houses. I hate traffic with a raging passion.

53 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

I agree. But then again I've been spoiled the past 27 years living less that 5 miles from work, and that's owning and living in two different houses. I hate traffic with a raging passion.

I too am spoiled and live <5 miles from work. Takes me about 10 minutes by car on the freeway. If I take my bicycle it takes me 15 minutes on side streets. My wife works for the same hospital but at a clinic in the other direction and is <4 miles away. Some of my Nursing co-workers drive 1.5 to 2 or more hours away.......couldn't do it / wouldn't do it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BMurray said:

I too am spoiled and live <5 miles from work. Takes me about 10 minutes by car on the freeway. If I take my bicycle it takes me 15 minutes on side streets. My wife works for the same hospital but at a clinic in the other direction and is <4 miles away. Some of my Nursing co-workers drive 1.5 to 2 or more hours away.......couldn't do it / wouldn't do it

I'm more spoiled. I won't ride a bike to work. Too many moving parts too early in the morning. ?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well we decided to drop the house with the hill and go with another that is larger with a larger flat lot. We wrote the offer last night and our agent submitted it this morning. So we are now praying and thanking God that our offer will be accepted. He certainly has blessed us in our previous house sale. The drive to work from this house is about half as far so about 45 minutes and it's a less highway commute.

Thanks for everyone's input. Now I have so much to work with as opposed to our previous front yard!

Later,

Al

• Like 1

Well we decided to drop the house with the hill and go with another that is larger with a larger flat lot. We wrote the offer last night and our agent submitted it this morning. So we are now praying and thanking God that our offer will be accepted. He certainly has blessed us in our previous house sale. The drive to work from this house is about half as far so about 45 minutes and it's a less highway commute.
Thanks for everyone's input. Now I have so much to work with as opposed to our previous front yard!
Later,
Al

That sounds awesome for you. Hopefully it's accepted quickly so you can get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got word today offer accepted and inspections scheduled for next week! My wife and I are really excited and feel so incredibly blessed. If anyone's interested in seeing what I have to work with now the address to Google map/earth is 636 Spaniard Neck Rd. Centreville, MD. The front yard is pretty big but I have a huge side yard to work with now!

thanks for all the comments and well wishes everyone.

Later,

Al

• Like 1

Damn, you've got an area about half the size of a football field to play with.  Lots of stuff you can on the house too.  Can I assume that in that area, the trees will be bare by the time you start a Christmas show?  Otherwise the trees could block some of the view.  Around here most of the trees have plenty of leaves all year long.

Happy for ya.

• Like 1

Very nice house - but the Steelers stuff in the family room has to go!  Of course the sellers would be taking that stuff, so that's OK.

And what you get for the price there compared to here makes me envious.  But I like here....

Edited by k6ccc
  • Like 1

Nice secluded location and house. Don't be surprised if traffic for seeing your Christmas display is sparse. Being that far from a major city or highway makes it tough to draw in traffic without some extra advertisement through social media. Maybe I am wrong and hopefully so. Just don't be surprised if so.

• Like 1

Don't worry about a secluded location.  The word gets around fairly quick.  I live in the country outside a small town and get quite a bit of traffic.  It surprises me through out the year when people I don't know tell me how much they like my display.  I get quite a few comments and pictures of my display on Facebook.  If you have a good display they will come.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. To K6ccc, yes here in MD the leaves will be gone/down in December so the few trees in front won't be an issue. And, yeah the Steelers stuff is definitely going with them as we are Raven's fans. :)

To Santa's Helper, it is secluded but the town isn't far and there is a community nearby that has hundreds of people in it so I'm hoping the draw from them and then word of mouth along with some local bulletin boards as well as social media.

Hi Andy, If anyone knows about secluded locations it's you! LOL I've never had the pleasure of seeing your display but the pictures you shared at the VA Mini make me want to drive the 2+ hours to come see it.

Thanks again  for all the info, support and tips.

Later,

Al

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 7:46 PM, Al Saunders said:

Later,

Al

Glad to hear you found a better property!! Can't wait to see the show!

Edit: Just because I was curious, I just looked up the house!!! WOW!! You got lucky!! I can already see so much potential for a light show there!! I'm slightly jealous!! ;) Congrats on the house!!

Edited by DisneyMatt10
  • Like 1

Hi DisneyMatt10,

Thanks we are really getting excited. I've got so many ideas going around in my head for our show! We are truly blessed in both our home selling and home buying process.

Later,

Al

• Like 1