Light-O-Rama Forums

Switch: Gigabit vs. 10/100?

Dcroc

Is there any advantage to using a gigabit switch vs. a 10/100 for DMX?   I am currently using a gig switch,  but it only has 5 ports.  I have a brand new 10/100 with 8 ports, and the extra 3 ports would suit my needs better this year. 

Edited by Dcroc

There is no advantage to having a gig switch other than it can run the data faster internally.  E1.31 won't take advantage of the faster Network speeds. Unless you're using multiple switches then they can link at higher speeds to each other. 

Edited by Ebuechner

2 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Is there any advantage to using a gigabit switch vs. a 10/100 for DMX?   I am currently using a gig switch,  but it only has 5 ports.  I have a brand new 10/100 with 8 ports, and the extra 3 ports would suit my needs better this year. 

If you look at the lights on the ports, they will tell you (color) how fast that PORT is connected at.

If NONE of you DMX stuff will light the '1G' LED,..

I use a Gig Switch for the backbone (and 4 POE devices) of my home network, the rest is 10/100 (with only the really ancient stuff connecting at 10 )

And what is the port speed on the DMX (LOR) host? Think 'Traffic pattern". Which CAT5 path carries the most traffic. Make those the FAT ONES (if the ports support)

15 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Only if you running a huge number of E1.31 universes.  Each universe produces about a quarter megabit per second of traffic (regardless of the number of channels in use of if they are doing anything or not).  Therefore, unless you are running over 300 universes, you don't need the higher speed.  This is assuming that you don't have any other traffic on you LAN.  Most of the E1.31 controllers won't run at gigabit either, but that's not an issue since none of them will support hundreds of universes either.  In my case, neither does my show computer.

Like TheDucks, I'm running Gigabit between my two main switches, and for my cable internet connection and the first router.  Everything else is 10/100.

I actually have a issue running GB switch with the DIY LEDExpress E1.31 Bridge.  It just doesn't like it.  I have two of them that are a few years old now and I have to run 10/100 switches or they won't work..  Everything else seems fine with GB switches..

19 minutes ago, plasmadrive said:

I actually have a issue running GB switch with the DIY LEDExpress E1.31 Bridge.  It just doesn't like it.  I have two of them that are a few years old now and I have to run 10/100 switches or they won't work..  Everything else seems fine with GB switches..

I run a few of those bridges and I've used a gigabyte switch without a problem. But when I run my show I'm using a Netgear fs108. I'm on firmware 4.01.  And  4.02 .

I wonder if that was a Gig only switch? Yes, there are quite a few gigabit devices that are gig only (I have a few).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I wonder if that was a Gig only switch? Yes, there are quite a few gigabit devices that are gig only (I have a few).

They are small (<=16), desktop models?

On 6/3/2017 at 8:11 AM, k6ccc said:

Nope.. mine are all 1000/100/10.  I tried two different ones.  Both Netgear.  The problem they tell me might be the WIZnet they used.  I wound up buy a cheap 100/10 switch just to run these two bridges and it seems to have done the trick just fine.  I put it between the GB switch and those boards and it works..  I am not the only one that has this issue.. but these are a few years old.  They may have fixed that issue by now.

Well, I have a few switches laying around still NIB.  Was gonna trash the older 10/100's.   Glad I didn't.  Checked Ebay, thinking maybe I could sell them, but they really aren't worth more than $10 - $15, so not worth the Ebay/Paypal fees (remember when you could make money on Ebay seling $10 items?).

Thanks for the info, guys.  You people are the best!!!  Honestly don't know what I would do without this site, and it's members.  I have never encountered a better group of people in any hobby I have ever been involved in (and that is a lot).

Another question:  I also found a 5 port hub (not a switch).  Any use for this, anymore?  I really can't think of a reason to hold on to it?

Edited by Dcroc

About the only reason for a hub is that you can stick it in line with a device you are needing to test, and watch traffic on another port with something like WireShark. With a hub you will see ALL of the traffic. Generally with a switch you won't.

If you are buying a switch, the difference between a decent 10/100 switch and a gigabit switch is minimal. Avoid the cheap plastic ones for less than $15. They go wrong quickly.

Last year I used a D-Link rack mount switch in the garage. This year I no longer have a garage, so the switch will go in the kitchen and I have 4 Cat6 cables run to outside.

• The topic was locked