Light-O-Rama Forums

New Website Idea

scodavis

Hello everyone,

In addition to other hobbies, one of my skills involves designing and programming database-driven websites.  I've had an idea for a new website - a database of music for synchronized displays.  It would be completely free and community-driven, with visitors submitting new songs (which must be approved).  Data in the DB could be genre, speed in BPM, lead singer gender, festival type (christmas, halloween), and others.  No actual music would be hosted; we would link to iTunes or Amazon digital music where people can listen to the song.  The primary purpose would be for people who want ideas for their display, such as "wow, I wish I could find a comedy song to go here" etc.

I would like your community input as to:

(a) If you think you (or others) would find this helpful.

(b) If you would be interested in helping me design and test - I would need some help with critique and ideas, and probably a couple moderators once it was up and running.

Of course, if such a site already exists, please let me know that as well, so I don't put time and effort into reinventing the wheel.

Please share your thoughts.  Thank you!

-Scott

Edited by scodavis

Ah oh.

Its been discussed. You'd be on your own with this. Just to show a couple.

Edited by dibblejr

Mr. P. - it appears you mistakenly thought that I would be hosting the music.  All I would have is lists of music, which are completely legal.

DibbleJr - neither of your quotes addresses what I want to do.

The site would not share sequences.  It would not share music.  It would only act as a searchable playlist so people can get music ideas.

-Scott

14 minutes ago, scodavis said:

Mr. P. - it appears you mistakenly thought that I would be hosting the music.  All I would have is lists of music, which are completely legal.

DibbleJr - neither of your quotes addresses what I want to do.

The site would not share sequences.  It would not share music.  It would only act as a searchable playlist so people can get music ideas.

-Scott

So I guess I am not understanding what you want to do. Are you just wanting a database with information on the songs?

Just now, Mr. P said:

So I guess I am not understanding what you want to do. Are you just wanting a database with information on the songs?

From the original post:

"I've had an idea for a new website - a database of music for synchronized displays.  It would be completely free and community-driven, with visitors submitting new songs (which must be approved).  Data in the DB could be genre, speed in BPM, lead singer gender, festival type (christmas, halloween), and others.  No actual music would be hosted; we would link to iTunes or Amazon digital music where people can listen to the song."

Just now, scodavis said:

From the original post:

"I've had an idea for a new website - a database of music for synchronized displays.  It would be completely free and community-driven, with visitors submitting new songs (which must be approved).  Data in the DB could be genre, speed in BPM, lead singer gender, festival type (christmas, halloween), and others.  No actual music would be hosted; we would link to iTunes or Amazon digital music where people can listen to the song."

Gotcha, totally misunderstood the intent. Thought you were wanting to be the next Napster King.  :D

I guess Mr. P and I both thought of the same thing.

IMHO- I don't know what use it would be to me since most lightsters want to be the first on their block with a particular song sync'd. Not everyone though, I'm not in it for the competition, I'm in it for the fun.

I just cant see going/ joining another site just to get music ideas for syncing.

With lights esp. Halloween almost anything goes.

Also FYI MP3 millions is a lot more affordable for MP3's than the ones you mentioned. I've been using that site for years. I only go to another site if 1% chance they don't have the particular MP3 I am searching for.

That's just my opinion though so charge on.

JR

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I guess Mr. P and I both thought of the same thing.

IMHO- I don't know what use it would be to me since most lightsters want to be the first on their block with a particular song sync'd. Not everyone though, I'm not in it for the competition, I'm in it for the fun.

I just cant see going/ joining another site just to get music ideas for syncing.

With lights esp. Halloween almost anything goes.

Also FYI MP3 millions is a lot more affordable for MP3's than the ones you mentioned. I've been using that site for years. I only go to another site if 1% chance they don't have the particular MP3 I am searching for.

That's just my opinion though so charge on.

JR

Thanks for your input.  Part of my thinking was from my own experience - I am only in my second year, but I want every show year to be unique (except for TSO Carol of the Bells, which I am using every year).  Having a resource to go to in order to get ideas would be helpful to me, and I expect to others as well.  No sign up required - just go to the website and search.  Contributors just fill out a form which submits it to a moderator (likely just me) for approval.  No signing up, no login credentials to remember.  I want this to be as simple and useful as possible.

It is my hope that the many veteran animators on here will contribute their playlists so that I have a good database on launch, if I choose to go through with this.

4 hours ago, scodavis said:

It is my hope that the many veteran animators on here will contribute their playlists so that I have a good database on launch, if I choose to go through with this.

In a "be careful what you wish for" vein, you can count me in.  (Having said that, I'm not sure how much my playlist(s) would actually benefit someone.)

Frankly, it's not a website I'd see myself using.  I've already got a waiting list of songs (including some I've sequenced previously and others that I've never gotten around to finishing) that's longer than I'll ever work through.  Plus, I've never really cared who else has/is/will/might sequence a song I've done.

But if it gives newbies some ideas and maybe expands their horizons, and if you have nothing better to do, it might be worth the effort.

Edited by George Simmons

Sorry but I see no use for such a database.  Between forjms and commercial sequences providers, lots of opportunity to id potential songs for a display. a

If using shared sequences, you're going to know the artist and then it's a simply matter of downloading the mp3 song length that matches the sequence's time.  I have a handful of sequences that have various song version lengths by the same artist and have had no problem in grabbing the right song to match the sequences.

Also the problem with a "hobbyist" developed site, they tend to die on the vine pretty quickly...cost too much or takes to much time. 

I built a database in 2012 of songs, artist, link to song. I allowed people to check which songs they were using. I fid find sobgs i hadnt thought of. Niw i go to www.holidaysequences.com to see what other songs i might use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The topic was locked