Light-O-Rama Forums

AC and RGB integration

philnuffer

• In the world of animated lighting Ethernet means E1.31.
  • The Pixe4 does not do E1.31 (Ethernet).
  • The LOR network has different speeds and an "advanced" option.
  • When controlling a reasonable amount of pixels, the Pixie4 needs the highest LOR speed.
  • The PCB-16 controllers can't handle high speeds.

I have come to figure that that is the case. Therefore I picture the red dongle allows me to run a separate "high speed" network in concert with the normal "low speed" AC PCB-16 network operated by the black dongle. It would be nice if the diagrams shown in LOR explained whether the dongle outputs were DMX, E1.31, LOR or whatever. Not having gotten into the Pixel Editor yet, knowing that a particular board is capable of which protocol doesn't tell me what the diagram protocol is. I hope to learn more while I learn the software. 

1 hour ago, philnuffer said:

I have come to figure that that is the case. Therefore I picture the red dongle allows me to run a separate "high speed" network in concert with the normal "low speed" AC PCB-16 network operated by the black dongle.

Yes, the Red USB-RS485-HS is RS-485 (hence the RS485 in the name).  RS-485 can be used for DMX or LOR protocol.  For the technically curious, RS-485 is the electrical standard, LOR or DMX are data protocols that are in this case carried over an RS-485 signal.  DMX is also commonly carried over ethernet in a protocol called E1.31.  When using E1.31, the LOR show computer generates DMX data, but encapsulates that data in ethernet frames rather than a RS-485 data stream.

Thanks, Jim. I started working on computers in 1960 and have continued until my retirement 11 years ago. The changes from the analog computers and the later evolution has been amazing. There were no protocols when I started, except 115vac, 400HZ and 28VDC. I eventually graduated to a Radio Shack Color Computer with an amazing 4K of ram and finally to programming in Fortran a Stromberg Carlson Telephone switch billing system. I never got into networking so the boggle factor is high. I have looked into X-Lights and Vixen, but since I started in this crazy hobby with LOR, I plan on continuing to stay with them. Since I have a mini-display, I don't plan on going much beyond a couple of arches or so and maybe some windows in RGB. My present display includes 8 mini-trees, 4-6 ft. trees, 4 faces, 4 column towers, a 6 ft star,  and 4 channels of roof edging. All are AC. The next steps are tiptoeing thru the tulips while trying to not set the house on fire or blowing my social security. I appreciate the explanations that I have been getting here and am getting a glimmer of what is next due to the patience of the contributors. Meanwhile, today I built my first arch. LOL.

10 minutes ago, philnuffer said:

I started working on computers in 1960 and have continued until my retirement 11 years ago. The changes from the analog computers and the later evolution has been amazing. There were no protocols when I started, except 115vac, 400HZ and 28VDC. I eventually graduated to a Radio Shack Color Computer with an amazing 4K of ram and finally to programming in Fortran a Stromberg Carlson Telephone switch billing system.

Yea, stuff has changed A LOT!  Played with an Apple 2 first and some early Radio Shack computer, then my room-mate bought an original IBM PC right after they came out.  My first computer was an Amiga 1000, then later an Amiga 2000.  First PC clone was in the late 90s.  The Amiga 1000 had 1MB of RAM and I paid $115 per megabyte to add two more.  My server today has 48GB of RAM.

43 minutes ago, philnuffer said:

I have looked into X-Lights and Vixen, but since I started in this crazy hobby with LOR, I plan on continuing to stay with them.

I have not looked at either and also have no plans to do so.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yea, stuff has changed A LOT!  Played with an Apple 2 first and some early Radio Shack computer, then my room-mate bought an original IBM PC right after they came out.  My first computer was an Amiga 1000, then later an Amiga 2000.  First PC clone was in the late 90s.  The Amiga 1000 had 1MB of RAM and I paid $115 per megabyte to add two more.  My server today has 48GB of RAM.

Yeah, I 'only' go back to the Trash80 / TI994/A days. 13 Ghosts (Trash80) Blasto/Hunt The Wumpus (TI994/A) great times...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Don said:

Yeah, I 'only' go back to the Trash80 / TI994/A days. 13 Ghosts (Trash80) Blasto/Hunt The Wumpus (TI994/A) great times...

My first was a TI99-4 with a loaded Expansion, 3@ home assembled Floppies. Next was a AT (286) clone with 2@40M HD's for great read/write database performance.

Visiting the Computer History Museum in Mt View is like 'Old Home Week'

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

My first was a TI99-4 with a loaded Expansion, 3@ home assembled Floppies. Next was a AT (286) clone with 2@40M HD's for great read/write database performance.

Visiting the Computer History Museum in Mt View is like 'Old Home Week'

Expansion .. is that what the additional module was that could be attached to the side?

Didn't it do voice of some sort? I kind of remembering it doing so.

I loved those days. Radio Shack had a magazine out that included programs written in Basic. I once built a blood pressure device that made a beeping noise and flashed from blue to red all depending on your pressure. The included the program in printed version. Basic. I use what I learned then on how to lower my blood pressure to keep myself within limits just by thinking today, to keep my Dr. from going ballistic. Good times.