Light-O-Rama Forums

RJ45 Ports - Outside?

smithzone

I am looking into running some CAT6 through the attic to 4 RJ45 ports on the left side of the house.   I run a mix of LOR and e1.31 through a dedicated router and PC on the far right side of the house.  In previous years I had to run the cables across the entry way to connect all the controllers.   I have a pretty good understanding of LOR network and star topology so I am fine there.

What are some best practices for installing RJ45 ports outside?  I am in Florida (so no snow) and thinking I'll just place an exterior rated wall box with a short peace of conduit up through the soffit right under the eave.  Then some sort of of flip cover over all the plugs.

Anyone have a similar set-up?  Rust issues?

East Tennessee here, so the weather is not that dissimilar, except no salt air.

Mine are just under my car port by about 5 feet, and about 2 ft off the ground.I used keystone punch down jacks and put tape over them when idle.

Installed them about 2 years ago. No issues so far

That is a nice method - I was going to run a short piece of conduit and then wall mount the box.   I like this concept better - nice and clean

Power now requires a cover that allows the AC plugs to be enclosed while in use. (left)

I used another one with a Decorra  style Keystone insert (4 or 6 ports) for CAT5/6, RJ12 (phone) and TV, The cover collapses when not in use,

(I did the LV for my neighbor, the electricion used that ugly cover, since replaced with a matching

smDSCN0839.jpg

11 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Power now requires a cover that allows the AC plugs to be enclosed while in use. (left)

I used another one with a Decorra  style Keystone insert (4 or 6 ports) for CAT5/6, RJ12 (phone) and TV, The cover collapses when not in use,

(I did the LV for my neighbor, the electricion used that ugly cover, since replaced with a matching

smDSCN0839.jpg

I have something similar to this on my house back east.  I had an electrician run it under my bay window (thru the wall).  My show PC and all of my network stuff was just on the other side.  It was weather tight so no issues.  Also ran audio cables thru it that connected to outdoor speakers strategically placed through out the yard.

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Makes me want to build an office in my attic just for shows.

JR

All my RJ45 connections under the eaves come to a central location in the Attic and are numbered on both ends so I can configure them on the fly. And then I have several runs that go downstairs to my computer. Almost all of the equipment I need to run the show sits on the shelf or hangs on the wall in the Attic including my Raspberry Pi, my FM transmitter, amplifier, And my E1.31 Bridges, as well as my ethernet switch. I have a pull down stairs in the garage that shoots me up to where I need to be and I have enough Headroom to stand there and work comfortably with some overhead lighting (LED of course).