Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights

S. Buckley

Good day everyone,

I have just recently bought a LOR system and would like to use LED strip lighting in my display. Can anyone give me ideas on purchasing and installing these, and do I need RGB's?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott ` welcome to the addiction.

Can you tell us what LOR "system" you purchased? That will determine which lights and then everyone can add on from there.

JR

Yes, tell us more about what you bought and what S4 license level you have.

Monochrome / Dumb RGB  strips use one kind of controller.

Smart pixels use another

Cosmic Color Ribbons (or pixels )  come with a controller and PSU

Edited by TheDucks
wrong info, no strikout

Good morning everyone,

I purchased the ShowTime Central Starter Package. It comes with the S4 Basic Plus software. I have been looking at purchasing RGB LED lights, however, if I buy the 5 meters, I will need to cut it for certain places, and add additional length in different places, and not sure how to make all that work with power packs, etc. I am a bit overwhelmed.

The term I will use for that is: Daisy chain

How are your soldering skills? If you buy Smart Pixels, you will need to daisy chain (up to 100 pix//port  for) as they have an IN and an Out that must be observed

If you use Dumb RGB, the strips can be daisy chained or paralleled (up to the current limit of the port (typ 4A)

In either case, Strips are marked with 'cut points' that need to be observed or a section will not operate.

Your  strips need to be the same Voltage (and match the ports power supply. 5V or 12V are most common)

What controller?  Your Basic+ will just run a Pixie4 (smart RGB). It will run 4 of ANY 'dumb pixel' controller Boards

I don't have a controller (at least I don't think so). I got the "starter" package due to it being a "plug and play", however, I am finding out that it seems that I would have to use strings of lights, instead of led strips.

2 hours ago, S. Buckley said:

I don't have a controller (at least I don't think so). I got the "starter" package due to it being a "plug and play", however, I am finding out that it seems that I would have to use strings of lights, instead of led strips.

You will need a controller to utilize the package.

See below, I think I miss read your original/ updated post.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

You can also buy any of the smart or dumb pixel controllers instead if that is the route but you may need other accessories. You just have to ensure they will work with your starter package. You will probably need at least the RS485HS adapter

JR

Let me rethink this. If you purchased the Showtime Central starter package it should have came with one AC 16 channel controller. All you would need to add pixels is a pixel controller pixie 4, 8 or 16 which are P&P into the LOR network.

Also, if you are going to use smart pixels you will definitely need to upgrade your software license. The Basic Plus license is good for up to four controllers but the Pixie's and Pixcon eat up the Unit ID's very quickly, I would highly recommend Advanced or just go ahead and get the Pro and be done with it.

You can compare the license levels here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

Edited by Mr. P

OK, so I am not sure if I want to get into all of the pixels and so right now. I would like to use LED's for the different color variation, and just being able to make them one color is fine for the time being, so I will defiantly need a controller for this, correct?. I haven't really done any soldering, so not sure if I want to go that option. Is there anything else out there that I can use with out soldering? Also, where is the best place to buy LED lights, I am going to need about 100' total, with varying lengths.

Sounds like he just bought the software starter package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, S. Buckley said:

OK, so I am not sure if I want to get into all of the pixels and so right now. I would like to use LED's for the different color variation, and just being able to make them one color is fine for the time being, so I will defiantly need a controller for this, correct?. I haven't really done any soldering, so not sure if I want to go that option. Is there anything else out there that I can use with out soldering? Also, where is the best place to buy LED lights, I am going to need about 100' total, with varying lengths.

You can make soldering simple by buying butt connectors that have a low heat solder. You make them water tight by placing some heat shrink tubing on the wires pre soldering and then put some silicone in the heat shrink tubing. As it shrinks it will push the silicone towards the outside making it waterproof.

You can use a cigarette lighter, heat gun or torch. I use my solder station with heat gun to melt it. There are videos on youtube with instructions if you are not used to soldering.

You can get the connectors at many places that sell holiday lighting, HC, Ray Wu, ebay

https://www.carid.com/dorman/dorman-butt-connector-326801468.html

JR

If you are going to start working with RGB either dumb or smart you really need to learn how to solder. Ribbons come standard at 16.5 feet so you will need to cut them shorter or solder extra on to make them longer. Strings are a little different as a length of 50 depends on the spacing. Bottom line is if you really want to get into  RGB then you will have to cut and solder, no way around it if you really want a trouble free connection.

They do make solder connectors that make it easier for the novice, you pretty much stick the wires in and melt the connector (for strings) but ribbons you need to know how to solder, at least the basics as the ribbon clamps really suck.

Edited by Mr. P

OK, I think I can pick up the soldering thing fairly easy, how about powering them? Any special things needed for plugging them in? Also where is the best place to buy said strips and power supplies?

Buckley  if you look on Light O Rama website you can buy dumb strips and everything else you need this would be the easiest way for a new person in the hobby because it is made to connect to the lor system.

13 minutes ago, S. Buckley said:

OK, I think I can pick up the soldering thing fairly easy, how about powering them? Any special things needed for plugging them in? Also where is the best place to buy said strips and power supplies?

You just missed all of the sales.

There is another sale coming up sometime during the summer TBA.

Not sure if you can wait that long to learn the system though. Personally I use LOR, HC (Holiday Coro), Ray Wu (just google he's in China), ebay, Boyscoyo Studios, depending on what I need and how urgent. This is my first year of RGB as well. Its pretty fun but I am still in learning mode.

JR

2 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Buckley  if you look on Light O Rama website you can buy dumb strips and everything else you need this would be the easiest way for a new person in the hobby because it is made to connect to the lor system.

Yes, very good suggestion from a man in the know. You may pay more however they stand by their products and nothing less than stellar customer service.

JR