Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR "Plug and Show" 12 CCR II SS Ribbon Tree Kit

dibblejr

So during the sale I purchased this by mistake http://store.lightorama.com/12ritrpico.html . Had made arrangements to replace it however I didn't want a 6.5' tree so I opted to keep this and ordered 4 more strips to make this a 16 CCR kit. ( I forgot to read the "included in the kit") I was looking at both the Pixel Tree Kit and CCR kit and got them mixed up thinking I was getting a kit that had the top, base and pole.

I submitted a Help Desk ticket to inquire about the recommended spacing since their Pixel Tree Kit has the complete setup instructions however they are not posted in the "manuals" section of the site.

I searched yesterday and found a great thread concerning the exact kit but all links to the pdf's and pics are broken. So I figured I would throw this out there and see what I can get.

Viewing distance from tree area to roadway will be 85-100'. I am contemplating based on previous years not many people sit in my yard to watch the show and when they have it has been pretty close to the street so 85-100' is my best guess.

Looking for top and bottom recommended spacing.

Also has anyone added 4 more ribbons and will the PS included handle the 4 additional?  These are 12v CCR Ribbons and I do not have a clue yet as to what size PS is underneath the card. I have asked LOR but am awaiting an answer.

Thanks in advance.

JR

Mine is a 12 string using pixels and not CCRs.  In my case, the tree is topped with a star.  I made it so that the strings of the tree are spaced such that the outer strings line up with the outer light of the star and continue with that line.  In other words, draw a line from the very top pixel of the star to the very bottom left pixel.  Continue that line to the ground and build the leftmost string along that line.  Repeat on the right side.  Then evenly space the remaining string between them.  I have the bottom pixel of the strings in a straight line.  This results in the top most pixel forming an inverted V shape which fairly closely matches the inverted V shape of the bottom of the star.  My website is still down as I type this, so you can't look at the photos, but if you look at this video at the 40 second point, you can see how the outer strings and the outer edges of the star line up. 

• Like 1

Thank you Jim, marvelous!

I meant to buy the pixel tree in the first place since I have all pixels but stuff happens between the slow internet connection (slowest I have ever had in a hotel) and being at the OKC mini during the sale, I ended up with the CCR as mentioned above.

Did you sequence that or purchase?

JR

Jim- One more question.

Since I am going to add 4 more ribbons do you think I will be fine going from the very top of the star pixel to the edge of the side points? and then splitting the difference between where yours come down and then follow on through as your video?

If it matters I have the Boyscoyo 24" star. I think it is 6 channels. Will have to go back into my order history and look.

Thanks again

JR

I have the 16 strip ribbon tree that I have been using the last three years. I have the strips secured to 1/2 inch emt conduit from Lowes. My center pole is a set of Army camo netting poles that I got off of Ebay. You know the type, the camo nets you put up over the tents and vehicles. 

The top star is the large RGB coro star from HC which I put together then traced onto a piece of 3/4 inch plywood then cut the star out of the plywood with a jigsaw leaving two extra inches of wood along the bottom of the star. Then I painted the wood black and bolted the coro star to the plywood. In the bottom two inches of the plywood, below the star, I screwed in some hooks into the wood about 1 1/2 inches apart. The tops  of the emt conduit I flattened with a hammer and drilled holes so the conduit hooks onto the star. The bottoms are spaced about 12 inches apart and sit inside 2x4's with holes dilled to space the conduit 12 inches apart, the 2x4's are staked into the ground.

I wish I had pics but all my stuff is in storage right now.

Almost all of my pixel tree sequences were purchased.  I just add the rest of the yard around it.  In the case of Carol of the Bells shown above, that is a Brian Bruderer sequence.  I have a bunch of his.  BTW, I learn A LOT about using SuperStar by buying an expert's sequence and seeing how he did things.  I have purchased sequences from several sources and learn different things from different sources.

My opinion is a 24 inch star on top will look pretty small on top of a 16 foot tree.  My video is using a customized Brian Bruderer star with is 29 inches across and my tree strings are only 122.5 inches from top to bottom pixel.  You would be hard pressed to get 16 strings to fit at the top with that small of a star using my alignment method.  I can barely fit 12 strings with the way I have them mounted.  however with strips rather than the square nodes that I'm using, you could get a tighter density than I can.  When I go to 16 strings, I will use a larger star.  I'm looking at the 36 inch Boyscoyo Studios star for that.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I have the 16 strip ribbon tree that I have been using the last three years. I have the strips secured to 1/2 inch emt conduit from Lowes. My center pole is a set of Army camo netting poles that I got off of Ebay. You know the type, the camo nets you put up over the tents and vehicles. 

The top star is the large RGB coro star from HC which I put together then traced onto a piece of 3/4 inch plywood then cut the star out of the plywood with a jigsaw leaving two extra inches of wood along the bottom of the star. Then I painted the wood black and bolted the coro star to the plywood. In the bottom two inches of the plywood, below the star, I screwed in some hooks into the wood about 1 1/2 inches apart. The tops  of the emt conduit I flattened with a hammer and drilled holes so the conduit hooks onto the star. The bottoms are spaced about 12 inches apart and sit inside 2x4's with holes dilled to space the conduit 12 inches apart, the 2x4's are staked into the ground.

I wish I had pics but all my stuff is in storage right now.

No pics, no problem. I can picture it.

I take it you didn't use the camo net spreaders. LOL JK

Are those the fiberglass poles or the al ones?

Another question about that tree. LOR Help Desk says that the pixie16 in the kit has a 200w ps and should be capable in powering the 16 strands. I do not know the power demands for a 50 CCR ribbon but if its anything like my pixel matrix that doesn't seem to be enough. I have 700w for 24 strings. That's 2 ps's with some wiggle room.

Thank you

JR

Aluminum poles, they are very strong. My first year setting up just plain mega tree I went up 48 feet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Almost all of my pixel tree sequences were purchased.  I just add the rest of the yard around it.  In the case of Carol of the Bells shown above, that is a Brian Bruderer sequence.  I have a bunch of his.  BTW, I learn A LOT about using SuperStar by buying an expert's sequence and seeing how he did things.  I have purchased sequences from several sources and learn different things from different sources.

My opinion is a 24 inch star on top will look pretty small on top of a 16 foot tree.  My video is using a customized Brian Bruderer star with is 29 inches across and my tree strings are only 122.5 inches from top to bottom pixel.  You would be hard pressed to get 16 strings to fit at the top with that small of a star using my alignment method.  I can barely fit 12 strings with the way I have them mounted.  however with strips rather than the square nodes that I'm using, you could get a tighter density than I can.  When I go to 16 strings, I will use a larger star.  I'm looking at the 36 inch Boyscoyo Studios star for that.

Yes, I have the 36' star. Been so long since I ordered it I had to go look. It is the 36" 6 ring star. SO I'm thinking using your method for the 12 and with the final 4 (2 on each side) bringing the outside one from the star upper point to the widest point and then splitting 1/2 way between that point and the bottom point. Then utilizing your method.

JR

I also don't use CCR's, couldn't afford them. I use a Falcon F16V2 with WS2811's and two 350w power supplies.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Aluminum poles, they are very strong. My first year setting up just plain mega tree I went up 48 feet.

If I was younger and not so beat up I could almost shimmy up a 48' pole and hang my lights on my peak. That's a tall tree. My mega tree is a 20' tower so I originally purchased the star for that, now I have to get another one for the tower.

I have a friend that works with gsa auctions time to get him to be on the lookout for poles. I imagine ebay was pretty high being (military)

Mine is based off the video below. However, I have 16 ribbons instead of 12 and instead of a square board at the top I cut the plywood in shape of the star.

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

I have a friend that works with gsa auctions time to get him to be on the lookout for poles. I imagine ebay was pretty high being (military)

I think I paid $40 for a set of 12 poles and spreaders, but that was three or four years ago.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I also don't use CCR's, couldn't afford them. I use a Falcon F16V2 with WS2811's and two 350w power supplies.

Yes, I got it during the sale. I have 5000 pixels to use, redoing the mega tree and the matrix. Maybe 2018 doing the roofline but I want to figure out a permanent source to secure them since I have to rent a 60' lift every year. Its dangerous even with the lift, had one take off down my slope last year. It skied down as soon as I took a little pressure off the landing legs. Luckily I was on the ground. I think it was because of the drought, I never had it happen before and when my buddy and I took my lights down in April I was scared to death.

• Like 1

At least you have a lift, my house is three stories and I use a 40 foot extension ladder. Try hanging off the top of one of those 40 feet up.  :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I think I paid $40 for a set of 12 poles and spreaders, but that was three or four years ago.

Thanks for the video. My only dilemma's keeping it from falling over, maybe its time for a new flag pole since mine was ruined during one of the tornados a few years back and the second one is the star. I don't want to mix pixels with strips so I will have to figure that out. Maybe this tree will have no star and the pixel megatree will get the star afterall.

Just now, dibblejr said:

Thanks for the video. My only dilemma's keeping it from falling over, maybe its time for a new flag pole since mine was ruined during one of the tornados a few years back and the second one is the star. I don't want to mix pixels with strips so I will have to figure that out. Maybe this tree will have no star and the pixel megatree will get the star afterall.

I stake the center pole at four point with guide ropes (550 cord) just like a military antenna. Never had an issue with high winds, it doesn't move.