Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple on same address

bdwillie

Probably a dumb question but....  I have purchased a small 3 channel RGB dmx controller from amazon for a specific prop.  Got it in and it works fine for what I want.  Please bear in mind that as of now this is the only RGB led strip and DMX I have ever messed with.  Question is...  Unit is set up for universe 1 address 1,2,3.  I want to build three of these props that will all do the same thing all the time.  They will also not be anywhere near each other in the yard.  I know with the AC controllers you can have the same address on two controllers and they will function identically.  is the same true for a DMX universe?  If I set three of these things to the same address will that work and all three function identically??  Don't have another one yet to test the theory.  Thanks in advance!

Duplicate addresses are not allowed in DMX, you will get a IP conflict pop-up.

Easiest way for all the props to do the same thing is copy and paste the original prop to the others in SE.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

Mr. P is correct if you are using E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet). However if you are using DMX over RS-485 (which I assume is the case since it's a three channel controller), yes, you can have multiple controllers with the same DMX address.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

I guess I should have asked what mode he planned on using it  in since he didn't state it.  The mode does make a difference.

Didn't state mode cause I don't know??  USB Actidongle originally from Holiday Coro I picked up used from a member here.  Nothing says E1.31 anywhere that I have seen.  I have it set as universe 1 and the addresses used are 1,2, and 3.  Would make life easier to be able to have two of those little buggers set to universe 1 address 1,2, and 3.  Sorry for the ignorance, all new to me!  and thanks for the help!

38 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

Didn't state mode cause I don't know??  USB Actidongle originally from Holiday Coro I picked up used from a member here.  Nothing says E1.31 anywhere that I have seen.  I have it set as universe 1 and the addresses used are 1,2, and 3.  Would make life easier to be able to have two of those little buggers set to universe 1 address 1,2, and 3.  Sorry for the ignorance, all new to me!  and thanks for the help!

With the Actidongle then you will be using RS485 which you can make them all the same unit ID so they all do the same thing. If you ever use E1.31 in the future then everything must have its own address.

Sorry about the confusion, I misunderstood your setup.

Edited by Mr. P

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Sorry about the confusion, I misunderstood your setup.

Only because I don't have a clue LOL! :P  Thanks!  Will keep reading and learning!!

• The topic was locked