Light-O-Rama Forums

Song length too long for SuperStar

indi

I have a song that I tried loading into SuperStar, but I get a message saying default is 300 seconds. My song is 5.07 minutes long. Is there anything I can do to get it to load in SuperStar. I can load the song into LOR sequence editor.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, indi said:

I have a song that I tried loading into SuperStar, but I get a message saying default is 300 seconds. My song is 5.07 minutes long. Is there anything I can do to get it to load in SuperStar. I can load the song into LOR sequence editor.

Thanks

You can split it. or Cut 7 seconds off

Have you tried both the MP3 and Wav files? I'm not sure if it will make a difference.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Audacity is free online, do not forget the Lame add on.

Audacity/ Open/ (find your song)/ it will load/ Export Audio/ (another box will open)/ Select MP3/ change default settings to 128 kbps, constant bit rate/ save and another box will open showing song info, you can add to it

once done save and then close.

JR

18 minutes ago, indi said:

Thanks

The only time that the default 300 seconds (5 minutes) applies is if there is no audio file.  Load the audio file and it should change the length of the sequence to the length of the audio file.

I just tried the following.  I opened Audacity and copied two songs end to end to create a 7:05 song.  I then saved that as a 32 bit Windows WAV file (all 145 MB).  I also saved as a 16 bit unsigned WAV file (73 MB), and lastly as a mp3 file (11 MB).  I then went into SuperStar and created a new sequence.  It was 5:00 long.  I opened the audio file with the 145 MB audio file.  SuperStar could not open it - I suspect that Windows ran out of RAM on this ancient computer).  However when I repeated the test with the 73 MB WAV file and the mp3 file, SuperStar had no problem and in each case it changed the sequence length to 7:05 as expected.  I may repeat the test with a more modern computer this evening.

As several people have suggested, download Audacity and then you have something that will work well for audio file processing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The only time that the default 300 seconds (5 minutes) applies is if there is no audio file.  Load the audio file and it should change the length of the sequence to the length of the audio file.

I just tried the following.  I opened Audacity and copied two songs end to end to create a 7:05 song.  I then saved that as a 32 bit Windows WAV file (all 145 MB).  I also saved as a 16 bit unsigned WAV file (73 MB), and lastly as a mp3 file (11 MB).  I then went into SuperStar and created a new sequence.  It was 5:00 long.  I opened the audio file with the 145 MB audio file.  SuperStar could not open it - I suspect that Windows ran out of RAM on this ancient computer).  However when I repeated the test with the 73 MB WAV file and the mp3 file, SuperStar had no problem and in each case it changed the sequence length to 7:05 as expected.  I may repeat the test with a more modern computer this evening.

As several people have suggested, download Audacity and then you have something that will work well for audio file processing.

I did Free Bird as well as other long songs but always as MP3's so I guess that's why I have never had the problem

JR

I have audacity. I couldn't get it to load the song. It said I needed a FFMG or something to that effect. I did get that downloaded and was aple to get Audacity to load my song. Thanks everyone.

Sorry I didn't get to answering this earlier. SuperStar will handle songs and sequences of up to 22 minutes long.

I expect the problem you are running into is that superstar requires that the song be at a sampling rate of 44,100. To fix it, you can use audacity to change the song to a sampling rate of 44,100. 

When you loaded the song, did you first get a message about the sampling rate? And then it defaulted to a length of 300 seconds?

I read the message chain more carefully and realized that you are loading .wav files. I just loaded a 12 minute long .wav file into superstar. The wav file is about 124mb in size.

When you first launch superstar it defaults to a length of 300 seconds, but that is not a limit. When you load an audio file the length is adjusted to be the same as the length of the song. You should be able to load songs longer than 300 seconds.  Are you getting an error when you load the audio file?

Yes. When I tried to load the audio file was when I got the message. I do have things working now. I did try to load the file into audscity, but it won't load. It said I needed to download another file from website. I did and it worked. I think the wav file was uncompressed or something in that nature. Thanks.

1 minute ago, indi said:

Yes. When I tried to load the audio file was when I got the message. I do have things working now. I did try to load the file into audscity, but it won't load. It said I needed to download another file from website. I did and it worked. I think the wav file was uncompressed or something in that nature. Thanks.

Yes, I mentioned in my first reply that you needed to download Audacity and the Lame add-on. So you were able to get it to load and convert it in Audacity after you added the Lame add-on?

JR

Sure did. Thanks. Funny thing is that I have used Audacity on all my audio files and this was the first time I had to download another file for Audacity. Just glad it told me how to do it.

Thanks again for the help.

2 minutes ago, indi said:

Sure did. Thanks. Funny thing is that I have used Audacity on all my audio files and this was the first time I had to download another file for Audacity. Just glad it told me how to do it.

Thanks again for the help.

Great~ didn't quite understand your comment. The things that Brian speaks of I have never done (but I am new to SS) however I run every wav through Audacity and convert prior to any use, so that's the reason why I have never dealt with any problems with audio.

With production of my singing faces it is crucial to run through audacity as I mentioned above.

JR