Light-O-Rama Forums

Projector trigger with LOR?

txmvmcc

Anyone know if it is possible to trigger a projector to come on and play separate file (each time triggered to come on) using the LOR controller?  I would like to add projection to my show, if that is possible.

Generally yes.  First of all, what are you trying to accomplish?  A couple questions:

1)  Are you trying to have a projector display still images and are loaded in the projector, and all you need LOR to do is turn on power to the projector?

2)  Are you trying to play videos that are independent of LOR and again only need LOR to power up the projector?

3)  Are you trying to have you lights synchronized to videos as opposed to music files?

The answer to all of these is yes it can be done.  If you tell us what you are trying to accomplish, we can better answer the how to do it part.

Hi and thank you for responding....

I would like to have my Pixel Tombstones and Singing pumpkin do parts of the show and then trigger the projector to play video file (similar to that on Atmosfx) so I can keep the show fresh.  I looked at Projector Mapping and I am just not that bright; LOL  The light show portion could remain static when the projector is on; or it could be off.  Does not matter.  Atmosfx has a witch scene and several others I would like to play at various points in my show.  For years we have done a "haunted trail" at our party, but it has gotten carried away and we are now considering just upping our light show as the main portion of our party. 

Thanks again!

Michael

Edited by txmvmcc

You could set up the projector as a second monitor on your LOR machine (assuming you are using a computer and not a Director) then you could just make a sequence with the video file as your media and program your props (or not).  You could then manually turn on the projector at the beginning and end of each evening.   Don't know if this fits your requirements, but it's what I do for Christmas and is pretty easy to set up.

If I'm reading his initial post correctly, sounds like he wants to take a multiple video file and play just specific portions at a given time, that is trigger video 1 at some point in the show, then maybe trigger video 4, then video 2, etc.  Not actually leave the projector running the entire time "looping" the video in sequence endlessly until showtime ends, but to randomly select which video plays when the projector is triggered to come on.

I'm not going to say for sure, but I don't think it can be set up like this using just a single projector, I think this will require the use of multiple projectors.  Each projector having the video of the single scene being wanted played out when the controller would access it to turn it on/off.

If I'm misreading the original ops intention, please disregard this response, but I think this is what the original poster is trying to accomplish.

Thanks for all the info!  It is appreciated.  I have been tinkering around with things and am in the process now of deciding on a mega tree (for Halloween) and or a matrix screen.  I will just let my projector run on a loop with Ghosts/spirits behind my pool for this year and work on triggering next. 

Thanks again!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Orville said:

If I'm reading his initial post correctly, sounds like he wants to take a multiple video file and play just specific portions at a given time, that is trigger video 1 at some point in the show, then maybe trigger video 4, then video 2, etc.  Not actually leave the projector running the entire time "looping" the video in sequence endlessly until showtime ends, but to randomly select which video plays when the projector is triggered to come on.

I'm not going to say for sure, but I don't think it can be set up like this using just a single projector, I think this will require the use of multiple projectors.  Each projector having the video of the single scene being wanted played out when the controller would access it to turn it on/off.

If I'm misreading the original ops intention, please disregard this response, but I think this is what the original poster is trying to accomplish.

Orville, I want to take a video file and play just specific portions at a given time, and not actually leave the projector running the entire time "looping" the video in sequence endlessly until showtime ends. Do you know what type of Projector is the best to use with the LOR system? I have been trying to add video to my shows for years but, I have had trouble. I have added video but, I always have to turn on the projectors and put them on a loop. I would really like to add the projection so that it will run with my LOR system and have the units turn the projector on & off just like the lights. However, I can't figure out what or how to do it. I was trying to use an ERISAN HOME LED Projector but I can't get it to play and turn on & off with the system it has to be turn on manually and then go through all the options to get the video and then put it on a loop. I NEED HELP to figure this out. PLEASE!

LED Projector.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't own a projector as yet, but what you are wanting to do is something I had been thinking is what I'd want to do in my display down the road.  I'm thinking the projectors manual off/on control switch would need to be replaced with a relay to turn it off/on, and then the video files would have to be copied to a computer, edited with a video editor for the portions you want to run, this would unfortunately require the same number of projectors for the number of video files you want to use, 6 different video files would require 6 projectors, one for each video wanted ran at any specific time, this could get very expensive to do, but is the only way I can see how it could be done.

If anyone else has any better ideas, I'm all ears too, because if this could be done with a single projector that'd be great, but everything I've drawn up and racked my brains on over this type setting always come back to multiple projectors that would all need to be modified for this to function like you're attempting.   And that would also eat up quite a few channels on your controllers too.

I keep thinking and working, but so far, I haven't come up with any real viable way to do this with a single projector.

If I'm reading everything right, yes there is a way to do this but not quite as described. 

Your projector will remain on the entire show but when not playing video it will be black. 

The portions or video you want to display will be added as media to a regular sequence file  

They will come on when you show calls for them or when triggered by input pup, just as if triggering a sequence  

but i know of no projector that remember it's settings when power is disconnected and reconnected from the power plug  

I run ghost videos between song at Halloween. If this is what your after, be happy to explain more in detail. 

you might be able to find a projector that has some sort of serial control from what i am reading you want done. I have seen them in use they are controlled by software to select certain adjustments, like focus, size adjust, input select, etc.  not sure but i have seen some projectors with 10/100 network ports as well. that might be option, but as stated before convert the videos to files and program them as normal media file with projector set up as second monitor from show control machine.

this one might do the trick have to research more on the rs232 control

https://www.amazon.com/EPSON-VS400-Multimedia-Projector-V11H326020/dp/B003VNKLSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496003993&sr=8-1&keywords=rs232+controllable+projector

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I also have a projector 3400 lumen and want to try to use it in my show.

After a lot off reading i think i know how to do it.

-i have a projector when i put power on it it wil start up. so i can use LOR to start up the projector. (was a setup in the menu off the projector)

- i saw that i can make a second screen in LOR where i can put a video on it.

so far so good.

But i can't find a good videomapping program where i can put in a music file and than can make the video mapping movie on the music.

so i can save it as a movie en paste it in LOR, sow that the video mapping movie run togeter with the show.

what is a good videomapping program ??

greetz, Mark