Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Supply Question

Dcroc

I'm thinking I could run 3 of the HC 12v  9ch dumb boards with this supply?  Almost Three 4ch smart boards?  Two 16ch pixel boards is probably pushing it?  900 watts, 75 amps, and sleek....

Thoughts?

https://www.rlpower.net/products/75-amp-power-supply

They have an 85 amp, 1025 watt version, too.  

https://www.rlpower.net/collections/power-supplies/products/85-amp-power-supply-with-a-usb-port

Edited by Dcroc

The boards are not the determining factor, the lights are.  You have to determine the power requirements for the lights or strips.  Then add them up.

For example, of my Sandevices E682 boards, the highest is driving about 60 Amps of pixels and the lowest is less than three amps.

Are the boards close together? Running High current any distance needs fat AWG wire.  Also you are pushing into extension cord AWG/length and circuit outlet/breaker limits.

A typical 5-15R (both only straight slots) is not good for more than 12A continuous per   DUPLEX. 16A if you have a 5-20R (1 blade looks like a sideways T )

The power supplies listed in the first post are intended as battery chargers.  As such, they may not have much in the way of filtering on the output.  As such, they may not produce anything close to clean DC power.  If that's the case, they would be unsuitable for our purposes.  Unfortunately they don't provide much in the way of specs.  Use caution....

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

The power supplies listed in the first post are intended as battery chargers.  As such, they may not have much in the way of filtering on the output.  As such, they may not produce anything close to clean DC power.  If that's the case, they would be unsuitable for our purposes.  Unfortunately they don't provide much in the way of specs.  Use caution....

I don't know Jim,  With PFC and all the other protections listed you would think they might actually be real power supplies and not just chargers.. Would be worth asking for a spec sheet before ordering I would think

11 hours ago, plasmadrive said:

I don't know Jim,  With PFC and all the other protections listed you would think they might actually be real power supplies and not just chargers.. Would be worth asking for a spec sheet before ordering I would think

I don't know either.  Just the word of warning.  A battery charger CAN be designed to make a good power supply (I have some), but it may also be completely dependent on an attached battery to filter out the AC component.  Adding the DC side filtering costs more money.  With no specs, and the marketing as a charger, I would not assume that it will make a good power supply.

Actully, the power supplies listed are intended to power chargers, and not as chargers themselves.  Not really sure where the filtering would happen....in the charger, or in the power supply to the charger?  I'll have to look into that.  Multiple cell lipos (1 to 8 cells and varying mah).  They are actually designed for powering chargers that handle larger batteries.  I chat with the vender on another forum ( RC planes/helis).  Will see if I can get all the specs.   I'm kinda leaning toward the "not right for our needs" side at the moment.

Edited by Dcroc

I used one of those power supplies last year to power all my RGB controllers works great no problems at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Bill P said:

I used one of those power supplies last year to power all my RGB controllers works great no problems at all

Wait.....you used 1 to power them all, or you used one for each controller?  If the former, how many controllers would that be?

I have actually been using it for testing with 3 E682 boards for this year. It does get warm but not hot

Wait.....you used 1 to power them all, or you used one for each controller?  If the former, how many controllers would that be?

1-75 amp power supply. The voltage has been 12.4 V

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bill P said:

1-75 amp power supply. The voltage has been 12.4 V

12.4 is good.A safe Tolerance is 12V+/- 5% (you really don't want the low side. Who ever heard of a negative Voltage drop?

12.4 would not charge a Wet/Gel Cell (2.2V /cell). Typical Charge voltage is 13.6V @ 80F ( good battery chargers are temperature compensated)

They are originally Computer server power supplies

I would say by looking at them and the other products the company carries these would be good for our application, as they are designed to power a bus bar pick up system for things like Radio gear, Server rack's, and even Remote Control car/plane enthusiasts for powering the 12 volt chargers for quicker charging times on their battery pack's. so they are designed for constant amp output which would mean i would put a 5 amp fuse on the board input leads myself, and maybe even fuses of varying amp's for each run of rgb's.

• The topic was locked