Light-O-Rama Forums

any words of wisdom on the way to go with a matrix

stevehoyt

Hi

I started using the pixel editor for last years display. I thought for the fun of it, this year, i would add a pixel matrix, I ordered 1 17 x 50 set of the LOR lights and the coro pixnode net with 2 inch spacing. It should be arriving soon. My initial thought was to set it up as 17 high by 50 wide.

I have played a bit with the standard effects in the PE editor and am comfortable with them.

I just started to add animated gifs. I now see this might be a monumental task. I have downloaded a number of them. I played with getting the sizing right, using MS Paint and the piskel editor. So far I have not had much luck getting them to look good.

When downsizing to 17 x 50 they don't look good. Changing the ratios also does not produce anything good.

I plan on doing more extensive reading about matrix design. It appears the coro site has a number of good write-ups.

But I was wondering if anyone has thoughts/insights on how to make this less labor intensive and how I could better use standard animated gifs off the internet.

As I have the coro net, and can cut it to different sizes if need be, should I perhaps set it up a square instead e.g. 29 x 29.

I will continue to do my homework but thought I would ask you experts.

Thanks

Steve

43 minutes ago, stevehoyt said:

Hi

I started using the pixel editor for last years display. I thought for the fun of it, this year, i would add a pixel matrix, I ordered 1 17 x 50 set of the LOR lights and the coro pixnode net with 2 inch spacing. It should be arriving soon. My initial thought was to set it up as 17 high by 50 wide.

I have played a bit with the standard effects in the PE editor and am comfortable with them.

I just started to add animated gifs. I now see this might be a monumental task. I have downloaded a number of them. I played with getting the sizing right, using MS Paint and the piskel editor. So far I have not had much luck getting them to look good.

When downsizing to 17 x 50 they don't look good. Changing the ratios also does not produce anything good.

I plan on doing more extensive reading about matrix design. It appears the coro site has a number of good write-ups.

But I was wondering if anyone has thoughts/insights on how to make this less labor intensive and how I could better use standard animated gifs off the internet.

As I have the coro net, and can cut it to different sizes if need be, should I perhaps set it up a square instead e.g. 29 x 29.

I will continue to do my homework but thought I would ask you experts.

Thanks

Steve

For our matrix's do a Google search for "Mini GIF's" they are high resolution pics but a smaller size. Makes it a little easier to work with them. One thing to consider, looking at the vis will not be how it looks in real time. I say that because a couple weeks ago at the OKC mini Mega Arch pulled up one of my SS sequences. In vis you can barely make it out, however on the large 10x10 or 12x12 projector screen it was very viewable.

Yes it is painstaking, I am currentlt making a sequence with the Minion Christmas song video. Each 20 second segment is 800 slices of the GIF so I have to add about 2000 slices to complete. I have input the first 20 seconds and it looks really good.

I am new to this and adding images was my priority. If I can help just send me a PM. I did a writeup and have provided it to several people. (my method)

Just have patience.

You will probably not find any premade sequences for your size screen, I have seen 12X24 and 24X50 (relatively new)

Best of luck

JR