Light-O-Rama Forums

lights for singing trees

Jeffery m

so I know how many lights is required for the coro singing trees but what about bulb spacing?Also any tutorials out there for shortening a string of leds for the trees or is it easier to just black out the leftover Thanks in advance

Depends on what type of LEDS you use.

120V strings are not easily shortened. They need a new resistor.value.

5V or 12V LEDS can be cut . (strips, while not used here,  have cut marks)

The excess wire is behind the scenes (and I believe all the designs are close, so 3" is fine

You can cut the string into two. If you have a 100 string. You can make it into two 50 strings. You will notice after the 50th bulb. There are only two wires not three. You cut where the two wires are and dead end the first set. Put a plug on the second set. There is a video on youtube. When I find it. I will post it.  

3 hours ago, Richard365 said:

You can cut the string into two. If you have a 100 string. You can make it into two 50 strings. You will notice after the 50th bulb. There are only two wires not three. You cut where the two wires are and dead end the first set. Put a plug on the second set. There is a video on youtube. When I find it. I will post it.  

This applies for either Incans or LED.  2 wires is the 120V feed (and usually continues to feed the end outlet

Or you can call Christmas LED's . com and purchase the shorter strings, I believe they get as short as 15 led's per string. Their prices are reasonable and they list to the minute what the currently have in stock. They are very helpful over the phone. If you do call them and no one picks up leave a message and they will return your call. It may be a day or two but they will return it.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Best time to buy the lights fir ding trees, monsters, skeletons. After the holiday. I bought mine at Wal-Mart for 90% off.  I bought lights for skeleton drummer, guitar, snowman guitar, american flag, tomb stones. 90% off makes them dirt cheap. Other stores have them for 50% or 75%. Usually one week after the holiday the cheaper sale starts.

7 minutes ago, Richard365 said:

wBest time to buy the lights fir ding trees, monsters, skeletons. After the holiday. I bought mine at Wal-Mart for 90% off.  I bought lights for skeleton drummer, guitar, snowman guitar, american flag, tomb stones. 90% off makes them dirt cheap. Other stores have them for 50% or 75%. Usually one week after the holiday the cheaper sale starts.

The only problem with that for the trees is, Walmart lights 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 and the colors have gotten scarce over the years. Now all whites yes but still the qtys give you a lot of extra lights to hide, tape up or whatever you wish to do with.

Some lip movements are lower counts, and some you have to combine to get a less extra qty.

Christmas LED's are still affordable during the non seasonal sale. Much cheaper than I paid for incans a couple years ago during off season.

Its worth the while for the OP to check it out. To me time is $ so if I have to spend time cutting, soldiering ect. I may as well spend for the qtys as close as what I need,

JR

Edited by dibblejr

57 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

The only problem with that for the trees is, Walmart lights 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 and the colors have gotten scarce over the years. Now all whites yes but still the qtys give you a lot of extra lights to hide, tape up or whatever you wish to do with.

Some lip movements are lower counts, and some you have to combine to get a less extra qty.

Christmas LED's are still affordable during the non seasonal sale. Much cheaper than I paid for incans a couple years ago during off season.

Its worth the while for the OP to check it out. To me time is $ so if I have to spend time cutting, soldiering ect. I may as well spend for the qtys as close as what I need,

JR

I noticed that also.  A 2 years ago, I bought 13' 5mm LEDs at Walgreens in Red,Blue,Pink, Purple,WWhite,Mixed. Last year I found Mixed, Red and WWhite.  Similar at Walmart

BTW I think they were $5.99 and there was an earlybird and post Christmas 2fer sales

I had to do some experimenting on not only how to reduce the number of lights, which is easy with a resistor, but also how to eliminate the other 2 strings that way you donbt have all that extra string, which can be a pain on the eyes.