Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 Power supply concern

Sergio

Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me to figure out a good power supply for a Pixcon16 controller.  Basically I am planning to run  16 strings with 25 pixels each

Now,base on the pixel specification(5v/2811) that i am going to buy,  i will have  1.5 amps / 7 Watts per string for a grand total of  12 amps/ 56 watts per each power bank on the controller, reading the operating specification of the controller , it said maximan  capacity per power bank will be 32 amps, but i am having problems finding a power supply with 5v 32 amp output. The closest that i could find what this one at HolidayCoro with an output 5v 70amps and here is where the things does not fits well on my number..I am concern that my fuse blow up if i buy this one..  May I correct, if so how  could I select a power supply that meet my specification?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sergio

Edited by Sergio

I assume 5V strings @ 15W a 50 node string:  when White  (8*15= 120W   for equivalent to 16*25 nodes) ,

so that PSU has room to run a complete second identical set of hardware: BOTH BANKS:) 32 ports total

Spare power is good. .

the fuse is there if you try and overload all 8 ports. Ain't gonna happen under any normal condition

Which fuse are you worried about?

Now , you mention about it, you right the controller has a 4 amp  pink fuse per port, so i will be okey.. however.. what about the output of the PSU, controller support a max capacity of 32 amps per bank and the PSU that I wanna to buy is 5v 70amps... could i damage the controller ?

I am kinda confused there.

Thanks for the early reply.. Sergio

Edited by Sergio

The transformer on the pole outside your house will supply more than your main breaker. Does your House fail? No.

You just have unused capacity.  If all 8 ports ran @ 4A each, it would still be 32A.  There is slop in the trace rating. Keeping the board at room temp will add headroom.

In other words just because the power supply can flow 70 amps doesn't mean that 70 amps is constantly flowing into the pixcon.

Think of it as the plumbing in your house. Your kitchen sink has a faucet, the water pressure in the faucet is the voltage, how fast the water comes out is the amps and the pipe size is the ohms. When the faucet is off there is no water flowing so there is zero amps. As you open the faucet the water comes out faster (the amps go up) until it is all the way open (70 amps).

So if you don't hook up any lights there is no amps, as you connect more lights the amps go up just like the water coming out of the faucet. The fuses prevent the amps from going over a set limit.

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

In other words just because the power supply can flow 70 amps doesn't mean that 70 amps is constantly flowing into the pixcon.

Think of it as the plumbing in your house. Your kitchen sink has a faucet, the water pressure in the faucet is the voltage, how fast the water comes out is the amps and the pipe size is the ohms. When the faucet is off there is no water flowing so there is zero amps. As you open the faucet the water comes out faster (the amps go up) until it is all the way open (70 amps).

So if you don't hook up any lights there is no amps, as you connect more lights the amps go up just like the water coming out of the faucet. The fuses prevent the amps from going over a set limit.

And a Check Valve is a diode.. MOV/Zener a relief valve

Kircoffs law works on plumbing !

I thought I was the only one using Plumbing as an analogy. Glad to see I am not alone

8 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I thought I was the only one using Plumbing as an analogy. Glad to see I am not alone

It's just the easiest way to explain electricity to someone. I mean everyone knows how a faucet works. :)

• The topic was locked