Light-O-Rama Forums

getting started

tempe guy

Hey Group 

i'm new to this group    So we go big for Halloween and our  Christmas is getting bigger every year. I'm ready to take it to the next lever with RGB and controller i find my self over overwhelmed on getting started and looking for some help. Does anyone have like a blue print of there wiring lay out and what controller and other fun items they have.    Any help would be great.      Any AZ people here?   

14641917_10210800209666163_6508291595728827948_n.jpg

Nice setup for Halloween. I was doing the horror stuff as well but now my boys 4&6 just cant handle it so last year I backed off and went fun with singing pumpkins, lights and projectors.

As far as RGB, I am also new this year and after several months just starting to get a grasp. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here that will jump in, just give them some time.

I have 2 pixie16's and 1 more ordered from the sale for my RGB stuff. I purchased my pixel nodes WS2811's 12v from an Ebay LED mfg Rextinled or something like that. Cheapest price I could find and they will custom the spacing and length at your request. They sell both 12 and 5v depending on your needs. Thus far I purchased 5000 from them. Per 500 $126 w free shipping.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Tempe guy,

As JR mentioned, nice setup.

There really isn't a blue print for a display that might be right for your display. Everyone's display is different.

You mention RGB, which range in many different products. You may prefer RGB floods or spots because of lighting props and wash colors on the house.

LOR and other companies sell RGB floods and spots. But RGB strips/nodes can be very useful as well.

I'm not huge in nodes and such but RGB floods and dumb strips I've gotten some experience on.

Others will for sure jump in on this.

So I have my little display to share with you using LOR and is a small caption of the pro-haunt I used to own and operate. Click on the pic to see the video.

th_MOV03129_zpsa740e867.mp4

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

There really isn't a blue print for a display that might be right for your display. Everyone's display is different.

You mention RGB, which range in many different products. You may prefer RGB floods or spots because of lighting props and wash colors on the house.

LOR and other companies sell RGB floods and spots. But RGB strips/nodes can be very useful as well.

I'm not huge in nodes and such but RGB floods and dumb strips I've gotten some experience on.

So I have my little display to share with you using LOR and is a small caption of the pro-haunt I used to own and operate. Click on the pic to see the video.

You forgot to mention. You are a really stand up guy with a monster mega tree.

JR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You forgot to mention. You are a really stand up guy with a monster mega tree.

JR

Thanks JR. Didn't want to scare the guy off. Lol

I forgot to mention, depending on what RGB products you choose will determine what type controllers to use.

My my display, I use AC and DC controllers because I'm using different RGB lights.

2 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Haven't seen this one before. Nice. 

Starting point might be id'\ing  some disaply elements you'd like to incorporate and then matching it with a particular light type.  

Versus picking a light type (ie dumb rgb) and then trying to find a use for it in the display.  With some specific ideas, people here will be more than happy to guide you along. 

7 hours ago, mpageler said:

Starting point might be id'\ing  some disaply elements you'd like to incorporate and then matching it with a particular light type.  

Versus picking a light type (ie dumb rgb) and then trying to find a use for it in the display.

That's pretty much picking a light type when determining what you want lit up IMHO.

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I really like those trees. Did you make those?

No JR, I bought them a few years ago at spirit Halloween store. Of course I added lights inside them. They pretty cool. They could be made by with chickenwire and burlap and monster mud.

Thanks for everyone feed back  I do need to sit down and really map my plan.    I do have a Dc and Ac up now.  I just really want to take it to the next level.          Where can i find the best info to make the signing tree or face to tunes?

6 minutes ago, tempe guy said:

Thanks for everyone feed back  I do need to sit down and really map my plan.    I do have a Dc and Ac up now.  I just really want to take it to the next level.          Where can i find the best info to make the signing tree or face to tunes?

Singing tree man here. PM me and I will hook you up. I have a "Accepting Free Singing Face Request" thread. Just search "all content" and type "Now Accepting and you will see it

JR

8 minutes ago, tempe guy said:

Dude, for the best sequencing, drop JR a line at his "Accepting Free Singing Face Request" thread.
Totally awesome work.

JR will sequence your request when he has time. 
Jr also has his library that may have what you are looking for
JR does not sequence anything that is already commercially available. 

Hi there, welcome to the addiction hobby. :)

I'm glad to see another user is jumping into LOR and going into the RGB world! I started my lighting journey in 2014 with non-RGB elements in my whole show. What a big mistake! As soon as we began looking into what capabilities we were given with RGB products, we were all in. So in 2015, we introduced minor RGB changes while we still were understand the whole concept. Last year, we added a whole new controller to expand our RGB display. I couldn't be happier with our transition to RGBs.

A couple of things to note about the RGB world:

• The distinction between Dumb RGBs and Smart. (This does not equate to your frustration level... though it seemed to for us at times. LOL... just kidding.) The distinction is simple: in dumb RGB elements, you can only control the whole element at once. (If you use a strip or nodes, for example, the whole strip is one color at a time.) On the other hand, Smart RGB products are controlled all the way down to each pixel.
  • Most, if not all, dumb RGB controllers only have 8 channels. I specify the dumb controllers because I haven't dabbled in the smart RGBs yet so I don't know a whole lot about the products. But, for dumb RGB controllers, there are 8 channels. (Let's be even more specific: 24 channels, but 8 plugs. Eight elements can be plugged in. The 24 channels represent the RED, GREEN and BLUE for each element.)
  • Elements do have a limited distance from their controller. These elements will require the controller to be a bit closer to their controller. I think the longest I saw/heard someone ran their lights was about 100' from their controller without complication.

I hope this helps in figuring out how to get started. To learn more about my display or about how I used RGB products, please visit my website below. if you have questions on retailers or accessories, please drop a note in this thread or email me. (goldinglights@gmail.com)