Light-O-Rama Forums

trying to determin my SS level

caniac

a check of my license reveals this:

LOR Feature Level: Pro
SuperStar Feature Level: 2_CCR
Max Version: 4.7.*

but looking at the upgrade options there are several 2CCR plus options.  How do I determine where I am in the scheme of things (don't think I have the minimum 2CCR license)?  and how far do I need to upgrade to handle the RGB elements in my show?

Launch SuperStar and in the title bar of the program at the top it will say something like "2_CCR v4.3.2". In this example, 2_CCR would be the number of CCRs your license supports. v4.3.2 would be the version you are running.

Also, you can click on the Tools menu and select "Layout" and the Layout dialog box will appear. If you are in CCR mode then the left side of the dialog box will be active and you can select the number of CCRs. For example, if you selected 6 CCRs then you would need a license level that supports exporting 6 CCRs. There is a 4 CCR license and the next level is 8 CCRs. So you would need the 8 CCR license to export your 6 CCRs.

If you have imported a visualization, then the right side of the Layout dialog box will be active and there is some text in the middle that will say something like: "600 channels, 4 CCR license required for export."

In this case, the text is saying that the visualization that has been imported uses 600 channels, and the 4 CCR license is required to export a sequence using this visualization.

Note that a CCR uses 150 channels, so a 2 CCR license will export 300 channels. The 4 CCR license will export upto 600 channels. In other words, multiply the number of CCRs by 150 to get the number of channels it will export.

If you have further questions let me know.

Ultimately yes, but the software will tell you what level you need to export the file. Note that you can do ALL your SuperStar sequencing with no license at all. You only need the license to export the file to Sequence Editor.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

One CCR is 50 pixels. Take your total number of pixels and divide by 50 and that is the equivalent number of CCRs.

If you are using Visualization mode in SuperStar, open Menu > Tools > Layout.  It will tell you what you need to know.

SuperStar_Channel_Count.png

BTW, this screen capture is from my landscaping show.  Christmas multiplies that by about 10.

looks like I have the two ccr version so to do a 16 strand (50 pixels a strand) mega tree plus other items I would have to spend $270 for the 2-60ccr version?  Or more if I add more pixels?  If I bought the 24CCR upgrade what are the limitations?  Can I do different props as long as the prop itself didn't exceed 24CCR?  Or will it cripple the sequence?

To upgrade from 2CCR to 24CCR is $170.

The 24CCR license will export your 16 strands (50 pixels per strand) plus you will still have the ability to export 8 more 50 pixel strands, or since a 50 pixel strand equals 150 channels, you could export 1200 more channels which means you could have 75 of the 16 channel controllers in addition to your 16 strands. In other words, you probably do not need to upgrade to the 60 CCR license, the 24CCR license is probably all you need.

16 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

The bad thing here is, the price. Other programs are jumping in to keep costs down. At least from what I'm hearing.

• Like 1

My opinion is that SuperStar is worth every penny I have paid for it.  I currently have a 40 CCR license and will be upgrading to 60 this year as I will go past 6000 channels.

10 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

The 24CCR license will export your 16 strands (50 pixels per strand) plus you will still have the ability to export 8 more 50 pixel strands, or since a 50 pixel strand equals 150 channels, you could export 1200 more channels which means you could have 75 of the 16 channel controllers in addition to your 16 strands. In other words, you probably do not need to upgrade to the 60 CCR license, the 24CCR license is probably all you need.

if all I will sequence in SS is the tree then you are probably right but the other RGB elements I will have are singing faces (300+ pixels), house outline (300 pixels), arches (100 pixels), and a few smaller 50 pixel items.  If I sequence them a prop at a time and then export then a 24CCR license would work but does it know the total show count and does that become an issue?

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

My opinion is that SuperStar is worth every penny I have paid for it.  I currently have a 40 CCR license and will be upgrading to 60 this year as I will go past 6000 channels.

I wish I could say the same as I have the 24 CCR version. I would love to use SS but I just can't get the hang of it. I and many others have asked for classes but the only response we get is read the tutorials. Sorry but the tutorials just don't cut it when you have questions about things.

When I first started LOR years ago I took one of George's classes just to get the basics of SE and it makes a huge difference when you can ask questions.

So here I have spent $200 for a program that I can barely use and find myself using Xlights 95% of the time. Grant it, I think SS is a great program for those that know how to use it but for many of us it's useless.

• Like 1

if all I will sequence in SS is the tree then you are probably right but the other RGB elements I will have are singing faces (300+ pixels), house outline (300 pixels), arches (100 pixels), and a few smaller 50 pixel items.  If I sequence them a prop at a time and then export then a 24CCR license would work but does it know the total show count and does that become an issue?

Yes, you can sequence parts of your display separately and put them together in SE. For example, sequence the pixel tree using either CCR mode or a visualization that only has the pixel tree and export it. Then using a visualization that has everything except the pixel tree, sequence all that and export it.
As fast as putting it together in SE, how you do that in SE depends on how you exported. If you export as intensity files, there is an ability to combine intensity files (although I've never done it so I can't tell you how without trying it). If you are exporting in legacy format, you would end up with two files in SE, and you would use a bunch of copy and paste to put them together. Much easier if one or both exports are intensity files. And yes, the two exports don't have to be the same. For example, if your pixel tree is using Cosmic Color devices (which can use an enhanced LOR network), you could export the everything else sequence in legacy format and then export the pixel tree as an intensity file into the existing legacy file.
Ok, enough of a novel from my phone...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

I do online classes where I remote into your computer and give instruction. I can do 30 minutes at no charge and after that I charge at a rate of $40.00 per hour. You can send an email to brian@superstarlights.com to schedule a time.

On 4/10/2017 at 11:50 PM, k6ccc said:

are you able to import GIF's and/or video into the devices you create?

so the incriminating video of dibble and don at the OKC mini will not be able to make it to the big screen?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, caniac said:

so the incriminating video of dibble and don at the OKC mini will not be able to make it to the big screen?

Don't lose hope Chet. I bet we can figure it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac said:

are you able to import GIF's and/or video into the devices you create?

LOL, y'all are very funny.

If we could make a biography nobody would ever believe it.