Light-O-Rama Forums

What did you MAD GRAB?

75redman

3 pixie 16 packages with 16 strands of pixels each

1 cosmic color pixel set 

Ordered within 2 minutes. I'm sure these sold out very quickly...

I got sleep... ha ha.. 

I stopped buying LOR hardware after I got all the AC controllers I needed plus spares... Already have plenty of ELLs and a spare dongle.. Everything else is pixel related and there are no real "deals" with LOR's pixel hardware that I can see.  I may at some point play with the servo drives.. but not sure.. If I do, there is always the summer sale.. and sleep!  ;-)

Glad you all had fun!  

I more UV flood for Halloween bringing my total to 3. I too am switching over to pixels completely.  There are better deals for hardware and such elsewhere. 

Strange that I didn't have a need for ac or DC controllers this year.  Strange.  But I have all that I need and my spares.

I did pickup a servodog. ....woof.  My only owned one is part of my test board.  So now it can stay there.  

BTW...getting servos to work is so much easier than I ever thought it would be.  Anyone on the fence should jump in.  Explaining and understanding how it works is much harder than actually seeing and doing it. 

Sax

Hey Sax
I got the Servo Dog 2 years ago during the spring sale.  Feel intimidated every time I try to get going with it.  Anything you can recommend to get it going?

Yes.  Go to servocity. Get a servo....any servo if you don't have a project....but I would recommend the HS 425BB. 

Then plug it in...it needs no special plug or modification. Just plug it in.  The board shows which side is signal and which side is ground....If it is reversed it won't damage the board or servo since power is middle.  But once plugged in correct, you can use the HW utility to play with it.

I am using mine to make skulls talk.  Modifying a skull is the challenge here...but once modified and with the servo in I was able to find my limits.  Too much motion and the linkage fails or breaks.  Too little and it doesn't look like a talking skull.  I programed those limits using the HW utility and then I was set...full on in LOR SW is open mouth....off is closed.  Program the sequence....tada.....talking skull.

My use is not complicated.  Just a mouth opening and closing.  But I can see how easy it would be to make eyes or neck move.  Servocity sells all kinds of components to help...from mounting channels and hardware up to pan and tilt kits.  You can really start getting some pricey elements but overall I calculated buying the premade kits to be a worthy investment compared to me trying to put something together from scratch.  Linkages, channels and all the hardware is easily ordered right their from servocity.  It is sometimes buried in their page but keyword searches help.

One thing to keep in mind....when getting your servo look at extension cables. Save some shipping costs and get them now.  You will need them. 

Sax

Stocked up for a couple years of expansion - got two ELL 2-packs and 16 CTB16PC controllers.

-Scott

I got shipping info today too and didn't even order anything.

Oh, wait..... It's an Amazon notice, Sorry. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

I got shipping info today too and didn't even order anything.

Oh, wait..... It's an Amazon notice, Sorry. ?

Funny, like it but out of likes again. About an hour I get more.

Don told me he grabbed a bagel and my order was going to ship out in August since I waited so long. I was trying to avoid but succumbed to the pressure, waterboarded!

JR

On 4/8/2017 at 10:52 AM, jonnyci said:

Hey Sax
I got the Servo Dog 2 years ago during the spring sale.  Feel intimidated every time I try to get going with it.  Anything you can recommend to get it going?

Use the newest S4 and the ServoDog utility.  I rewrote it last year and it is much easier to understand.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:26 PM, rcktpwrd said:

Got my stuff today! WOW! :D:)

Remember, we had A LOT of orders.  I believe we are still in only the first few seconds of the sale going live for shipments, and some orders take a lot longer to pack than others.  

21 minutes ago, DevMike said:

Remember, we had A LOT of orders.  I believe we are still in only the first few seconds of the sale going live for shipments, and some orders take a lot longer to pack than others.  

Thanks for the status report. I was wondering, as I was in the first 5 minute (I type slow)

Recieved my stuff today and once again a new box design change. Not too crazy about the keys to open the box, will probably take them off and replace with screw. I figure someone will take the enire box if they want it, not open it.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Recieved my stuff today and once again a new box design change. Not too crazy about the keys to open the box, will probably take them off and replace with screw. I figure someone will take the enire box if they want it, not open it.

The Lock is probably to keep little fingers from (where they should not be) getting a shock.

Just now, TheDucks said:

The Lock is probably to keep little fingers from (where they should not be) getting a shock.

I understand that but how many little fingers walk around with a wrench? Personally I prefer without the locks as I already have enough keys in my life without needing one for my lightshow.

My items are estimated to arrive on the 20th. Pretty darn good if you ask me. I have to say, possibly the most satisfying thing about ordering from LOR is the absolute confidence that if there is something wrong with an item I know it will be corrected/fixed. That makes ordering large volumes of pixels a much less stressful experience.

• Like 1

Received my things today.  4 more CTB16PC (up to 19 now), 2 more ELL, and white SPT wire. I like the new controllers from the aspect that you can install them without opening them (mounting ears outside of the enclosure), I also purchased dangles so the plan is not to have to open the controllers outside/very often. Time to go open the Christmas boxes. :-)