Light-O-Rama Forums

TSO - Paul O'Neil has passed

saxon

Paul has passed away from illness. Truely talented and brought us enjoyment to listen to and sequence to. Prayers to the TSO family. 

Very true, he was always a joy to see and hear his talent. We have gone and see TSO for the last 5 years.

My granddaughter had the opportunity to meet him 2 years ago and had started taking lessons and the following

year she again got to talk to him and even got to play for him. He was a great encouragement to her to  keep practicing.

This will be a blow to her. Best of wishes to the TSO family.

I have most of their CD's. Each one a great 'Journey'.

I hope his Journey is as well..

Sad day for many of us - may have to double down on TSO this year

Paul O'Neill, the Tampa-based rock composer and mastermind of one of the biggest touring acts in the world, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, has died at age 61.

The entire Trans-Siberian Orchestra family, past and present, is heartbroken to share the devastating news that Paul O’Neill has passed away from chronic illness.

He was our friend and our leader -- a truly creative spirit and an altruistic soul.  This is a profound and indescribable loss for us all.

We ask that you respect Paul’s family’s privacy now. 

We will make additional announcements shortly.

[Admin Note: Thread Merged]

My show began with the fascination of TSO and now incorporates their music. A special tribute will be made for this brilliant mastermind.

Bump. ... incase someone has not heard the sad news yet.

Frankly, I am surprised at the low number of replies to the news. Everyone grieves, in their own way but, this man was one of the greats and from the displays I've seen, almost everyone has at least ONE song from TSO. 

It is almost a staple in our hobby.....

RIP peace Paul, you WILL be missed,,,

Edited by saxon

I put 'Night Castle' on the CD Player, followed by 'Letters from the Labyrinth'

That was my tribute.

Sad news indeed.   I used quite a few of their songs in my displays, both Halloween and Christmas.  Paul and his talent will be missed.   Prayers and condolences to his immediate family and his "extended family", TSO.

I have not used any TSO songs in my display as I do not like convention, however the first video I ever saw of a choreographed lights display was using Wizards in Winter. I remember the first time I saw that on Youtube I was mesmerized. I was probably 12 years old at the time and I can still recall playing the video over and over again. 61... too young. 

3 hours ago, LightsWithSoul said:

I have not used any TSO songs in my display as I do not like convention, however the first video I ever saw of a choreographed lights display was using Wizards in Winter. I remember the first time I saw that on Youtube I was mesmerized. I was probably 12 years old at the time and I can still recall playing the video over and over again. 61... too young. 

That was probably Carson Williams display back in 2005 that put TSO on the map for animated lightshows using their song. It went viral then a beer commercial used portions of that video.

This also helped LOR and their business sales skyrocketed since Carson used LOR for his display.

Edited by Santas Helper

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

That was probably Carson Williams display back in 2005 that put TSO on the map for animated lightshows using their song. It went viral then a beer commercial used portions of that video.

This also helped LOR and their business sales skyrocketed since Carson used LOR for his display.

I just looked up Carson William's display, and indeed it was the video I saw. A true classic, and the choreography still holds up today.. in face probably some of the most effective choreography that I've seen for Wizards in Winter to date.

5 minutes ago, LightsWithSoul said:

I just looked up Carson William's display, and indeed it was the video I saw. A true classic, and the choreography still holds up today.. in face probably some of the most effective choreography that I've seen for Wizards in Winter to date.

I figured that was probably the one you were referring to.

I contacted him back then and was shared the actual sequence he used, which I still have. Something he requested I never share, which I haven't and won't.

Since then, I have added many TSOs songs to my display (enough for a full show) and so this year will be fully dedicated to Paul O'Neil.

So might as well post the video that inspired many to listen, sequence and enjoy his mastermind work and attend their concerts. I haven't missed a concert of their's since then. And have the T-shirts to prove it. :) 

Cheers to you Paul. May you Rest in Peace.

• Like 3

Paul O'Neil, founder of the Trans Siberian Orchestra, has passed away at age 61.

Thought you should know.

:(

On 4/13/2017 at 9:01 PM, Santas Helper said:

I figured that was probably the one you were referring to.

I contacted him back then and was shared the actual sequence he used, which I still have. Something he requested I never share, which I haven't and won't.

Since then, I have added many TSOs songs to my display (enough for a full show) and so this year will be fully dedicated to Paul O'Neil.

So might as well post the video that inspired many to listen, sequence and enjoy his mastermind work and attend their concerts. I haven't missed a concert of their's since then. And have the T-shirts to prove it. :) 

Cheers to you Paul. May you Rest in Peace.

The "EXACT" video I saw that initially got me into all this too!

Hi JR! :)

Edited by Orville

On 4/13/2017 at 6:34 PM, Santas Helper said:

The beer commercial didn't use that video. They actually redecorated the house and shot the video again. (Things you learn.)

• The topic was locked